Why become a member? ×

what do you think of an Overwater single cut?

FLoydElgar

I've been speaking to Chris May owner of (Overwater basses) about a single cut bass with an thru neck.

Just wondering what people thoughts are this awesome idea!

Would you want him to add it to the design options?

Good and bad points all welcome!
But keep it real!

All the best guys!

Floyd

Agree, not a single cut person either. I think only people like Sei and Fodera can get away with single cuts,...in that the resale of this type of bass is limited to a certain market.

What would worry me is how well these basses keep their value against the builder. Overwater, Shuker and the like don't seem to keep their money if the ads here are anything to go by. I would look at their second hand prices in their builders catologue to see if they hold up..

Personally, I hate single cuts.....aesthetically, the visual balance is all wrong. Very much a design concept of the moment which, unlike the traditional Precision/Jazz design probably won't be in favour in ten years time.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='766668' date='Mar 7 2010, 08:28 AM']Personally, I hate single cuts.....aesthetically, the visual balance is all wrong.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. They look so wrong to me!

I don't mind them being used by others but I would never touch one with a barge pole personally!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='766699' date='Mar 7 2010, 09:39 AM']Overwater should re-issue the "Original" shape as a standard option and be done with it.

CK, the control layout on that Fodera, looks really weird... hopefully it makes more sense from the playing position, but front on it just looks ugly.[/quote]
As far as I know, Overwater offer the 'Original' shape as an option (or did so up to around 5-6 years ago?) - I had a 're-issue' briefly a couple of years back and I think another had been built for the Cult (?). A beautiful bass that can be seen in Tayste2000's ads for his 14u rack case in the 'Other...' classifieds on BC. The problem for me was the 35" scale.

On the Fodera, I had an Imperial MG5 up until last year - the control layout doesn't look massively attractive but feels very intuitive in use (IMO). That said, the passive sound was so phenonenally good, I didn't do a lot of tweaking most of the time. Same problem, the neck dimension didn't suit (very wide board)

I think this just about stays 'on topic'

I know, that you can still have an Overwater custom made in the "Original" shape, plus there were rumours that there would be a limited run of them to celebrate the recent 30th anniversary but nothing seems to have come of that. What I meant was that it should be re-instated as a standard design.

I know what you mean about the 35" scale, 36" is the only real way to go with an "Original"

As for a single-cut shape, well just like any other bass shape there are elegant examples and others that have fallen out of the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down. While I can appreciate the looks some designs, they're not for me as they get in the way of my "guitarists" technique.

Edited by BigRedX

I agree on reinstatement of the Original as a standard design (elegant and comfortable body shape in my view) - I suspect Chris et al have had a look at demand and decided it's just not feasible. I didn't know about the 30th Anniversary - it will be interesting to see if anything materialises. On the 36" scale - wow! - the 35" was far too long for me (but I do play short-scale much of the time). The 35" sounded great however, real clarity and focus across the board without really high string tension

I just don't understand why. Unless the whole bass is designed from ground up as a single cut it's just gonna be a strange add on which creates a heavy unbalanced bass. It won't change the tone to the point you could hear it and it will make it less playable.
I love the fodera single cuts but all the others I've tried (shuker)have been very poor. I would find someone who wants to make one because of the design goals.
Or start saving for the fodera :-)

BTW I really like luthiers like wal and overwater or even ken smith and sadowsky who have a strong design which they stand benind. Don't mean to have a go at shuker as I'm sure he makes good basses. But why have the single cut fodera rip off and the rubbish rob Allen rip off. They would b better to find their own voice.

Edited by geoffbassist

[quote name='lozbass' post='766786' date='Mar 7 2010, 11:41 AM']I agree on reinstatement of the Original as a standard design (elegant and comfortable body shape in my view) - I suspect Chris et al have had a look at demand and decided it's just not feasible. I didn't know about the 30th Anniversary - it will be interesting to see if anything materialises. On the 36" scale - wow! - the 35" was far too long for me (but I do play short-scale much of the time). The 35" sounded great however, real clarity and focus across the board without really high string tension[/quote]

That Overwater of mine is 36inch scale :)

Great to see alot of different views...

Well chris has stated "I only do things for a reason." This means he is going to spend alot of time to "create" not "recreate" another model.
chris feels very strong in spending alot of time in designing a better well balenced single cut bass and not have the upper horn for visual purposes!

I'm pretty sure that Chris will design something a bit overwater... If you get what I mean.

Looking forward to hearing more :)

As an Overwater owner, I'd like to see what an OW singlecut would look like.

I never used to be a fan until I saw Doodle's - after that my view on them has slowly changed. I wondered if they might be "neck heavy" but from all accounts, that's not the case.

I'd love to try one out, but I don't know anyone who's got one (I'm scared that if I like it too much, I might start hankering after one, & I know I haven't got the dosh...).

Over to Chris & Laurence methinks?

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='768023' date='Mar 8 2010, 02:32 PM']I think I'd loathe a 36", a Rickenbacker gave me a hard time :)[/quote]

I went almost straight from playing a Burns 29½" scale bass to the Overwater which was 36" and a 5-string. I never noticed that the Overwater wasn't a standard long-scale bass until the first time I replaced the strings and wondered why the 34" scale ones I'd bought didn't fit properly!