Why become a member? ×

Forum request: non-bass instruments

velvetkevorkian

To all you photoshop wizards... I have to say Id quite like to see a hitlercaster... I believe in you

Hubrad, If your parents don't get Wallace and Gromit simply get them drunk then force them to watch it again.

It still wont make sense.. but it will be a hell of a lot funnier!

Hmmn, well I'm primarily a guitarist but also play bass, keys, alt tuned acoustic, chapman stick and a bit of dodgy drumming. Personally I don't think that basschat is the place to be discussing those things in terms of a sub-forum. I think that it's better as it is, 98% bass and just the odd thread showing up. Before you know it the for sale forum will be awash with people signing up to sell a guitar or three. I think that it could kill what is good about this place and there would be no going back really.

What the world needs is Guitarchat.co.uk

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='767502' date='Mar 8 2010, 02:08 AM']We [i]will[/i] have our Hitlercaster sub-sub-forum.

You may depend upon it. Oh, yes.[/quote]

What we need is action and action now - lets form a committee ( who in turn can form a sub committee , who can form a quango, who can form a clique who can form ....................... )

I don't get how having a guitar subforum would be a bad thing? It would probably be way quieter than the rest of the site, people with no interest in guitars wouldn't read it, people who do want to discuss guitars could do so with other guitar playing bassists. Where's the catch?

I think i see where golchen is coming from to be honest. Basschat still being basschat as it is. the best way I see things going would be a sister site for basschat. Guitarchat would have been an ideal name but im sure we come up with others.

Www.skinnystringers.co.uk anyone lol

Kind of defeats the object though, I mean, there are plenty of guitar forums out there as it is. What better place is there than basschat for basschat members to talk to other basschat members about non-bass stuff?

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='766999' date='Mar 7 2010, 04:04 PM']I'm all for it.

Surely I can't be the only bassist who also doubles up on Stylophone :)

Disclaimer

Apologies to anyone under 45 who has absolutely no idea what a Stylophone is.[/quote]

+ 1 for Stylophone chat.

[quote name='Wil' post='767755' date='Mar 8 2010, 11:43 AM']Kind of defeats the object though, I mean, there are plenty of guitar forums out there as it is. What better place is there than basschat for basschat members to talk to other basschat members about non-bass stuff?[/quote]
Exactly.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='767502' date='Mar 8 2010, 02:08 AM']Oh, [b]kudos[/b] to this man. He's like a steamroller powered by glowing nuclear logic.

With a big steel roller at the front with big steel knives in it. With a deadly poison made from undiluted logic on the tips of those knives. He swerves round the obstacles. He demolishes the objections. And those big, steel, logic-poisoned knives just keep coming closer and closer.

This is the first time I've seen the mods worried. The rank stink of terror pervades these pages. We [i]will[/i] have our Hitlercaster sub-sub-forum.

You may depend upon it. Oh, yes.[/quote]
That's going on my CV.

I say no. It will dilute the brand. If people want to talk about stuff enough to want a dedicated section on it, then they need to find a more general site; allaboutjazzcom? Young Composers? tolkien.com?

I used to subscribe to a great magazine called Double Bassist (still read the back issues now) but it got subsumed into some general 'string player' magazine. I cancelled my subscription straight away as I knew it woudl be one DB article a quarter. Like when the UK's Bassist got swallowed by Guitarist - goodbye all the good bits.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='767542' date='Mar 8 2010, 08:03 AM']I think its an interesting idea but it should be separate from Basschat. Give me the weekend to figure something out.[/quote]

As long as it's not too far to walk in the rain.

The downside to having an external site for this, is that it will lay itself open to colonisation by Guitarists... and the dreaded spawn thereof that is The Guitard.

If a separate non-bass Sub-Forum were nailed inconspicuously somewhere, at least we'd know all the weirdos there were fundamentally sound.