Why become a member? ×

Forum request: non-bass instruments

velvetkevorkian

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='768314' date='Mar 8 2010, 06:39 PM']The downside to having an external site for this, is that it will lay itself open to colonisation by Guitarists... and the dreaded spawn thereof that is The Guitard.

If a separate non-bass Sub-Forum were nailed inconspicuously somewhere, at least we'd know all the weirdos there were fundamentally sound.[/quote]

Perhaps as a sub within Off Topic so not to attract non-members to its existence.

[quote name='charic' post='767536' date='Mar 8 2010, 07:58 AM']To all you photoshop wizards... I have to say Id quite like to see a hitlercaster... I believe in you

Hubrad, If your parents don't get Wallace and Gromit simply get them drunk then force them to watch it again.

It still wont make sense.. but it will be a hell of a lot funnier![/quote]
:rolleyes: :lol: Tried it a couple of Xmases ago, but they are in their 80s after all. I'm prepared to give it another go, mind!

[quote name='Tait' post='768244' date='Mar 8 2010, 05:30 PM']me neither :)[/quote]
You guys will have to sit with my folks and we'll ALL get drunk.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='768314' date='Mar 8 2010, 06:39 PM']The downside to having an external site for this, is that it will lay itself open to colonisation by Guitarists... and the dreaded spawn thereof that is The Guitard.

If a separate non-bass Sub-Forum were nailed inconspicuously somewhere, at least we'd know all the weirdos there were fundamentally sound.[/quote]
+1

[quote name='Marvin' post='768367' date='Mar 8 2010, 07:17 PM']Perhaps as a sub within Off Topic so not to attract non-members to its existence.[/quote]
Off Topic seems a decent spot, as it describes just where such a dicussion would sit, while still keeping it 'in the family'. There is a different and better vibe on here compared to many other sites I've dipped into.

[quote name='hubrad' post='768383' date='Mar 8 2010, 07:32 PM']There is a different and better vibe on here compared to many other sites I've dipped into.[/quote]
Indeed. The strength of this forum is not the fact it's [i]ostensibly[/i] about a bit of wood with wires hung off it. It's strength is both the BC 'Community' and the cultural continuity underpinned by our founders' vision.

If I just wanted to talk about guitars, there are a million sites I could go to. But I don't, because they suffer by comparison to BC. Sometimes I just like to rap about axes [i]with Basschatters[/i]. Which, of course, does not necessarily require a formal sub-forum.

But I shall wait upon developments.

Edited by skankdelvar

pretty much every guitar forum i've been on has a bass guitar subforum somewhere, rarely gets used but its there for the odd occasion someone asks about bass. i can't see how a guitar subforum on a bass forum is any different.

personally, i'm neither here nor there on the idea. i can see upsides and downsides, so i'm happy with whatever the powers that be decide.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='768491' date='Mar 8 2010, 09:44 PM']and the cultural continuity underpinned by our founders' vision.[/quote]

Cheers mate, cheque's in the post.

All please stand now for a rousing chorus of Land of Hope and Glory.

Hang on....

They've even got their own [url="http://www.guittard.com/"]chocolate[/url] too! We only have a [url="http://debrisblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/bass.jpg"]fish.[/url]

Its an ambush! Man the battlements! The guitards are coming!!!

[b]Off Topic[/b] is the proper repository for talk of miniature gerbil rearing, obscure Lithuanian sandwich makers of the 15th century, musculo-skeletal deformity in hermaphroditic herbivores, hair shirt benefits, why people who live in caravans like copper so much, AND guitars and their operation.

There is no need for further expansion.

On a serious note.

If it's entirely separate from BC, that's a different forum and I think it's a bit of an ask to want the guys who run BC to set up and run another forum.

If it's accommodated within BC it runs the risk of changing the character of the place and possibly alienating some members. There's a good vibe on here and I for one wouldn't want to see anything brought in that changed that. If you place an 'Other Instruments' forum on BC that is available to non members to peruse, then you risk the forum attracting people who haven't the passion or dedication, like Ped and the team, to create their own forum for their own particular interest.

From a personal point and a selfish one I admit, I only play bass. I don't, can't and have no particular interest at the moment in learning another instrument. If the forum was to be turned into a quasi multi instrumentalist forum I think I might loose interest. Of course some might say that would be a good thing. :)

It may seem OTT but I really enjoy BC and wouldn't want to see something brought in that damages its character or vibe.

I am not saying it shouldn't be considered, but that it should be done with all possible outcomes, positive and negative, taken into account.

Personally I have no real interest in an entirely seperate forum- there are other places I can (and do) go, although the community aspect is not usually as strong as it is here- which is why I think a sub forum here would be cool. I don't really see how it could alienate people- there are a number of subforums currently which I consider a waste of space (the Groove Library and the Barefaced forum in its current state, for example), so what do I do? I ignore them. Not that difficult.

I don't think anyone's advocating turning the site into a platform for multi instrumentalists- its a bassists' forum; I just think it would be nice to have a small corner where we can talk other instruments with this community, and there seems to be a number of people with interesting things to say about them.

[quote name='silddx' post='769206' date='Mar 9 2010, 01:34 PM'][b]Off Topic[/b] is the proper repository for talk of miniature gerbil rearing, obscure Lithuanian sandwich makers of the 15th century, musculo-skeletal deformity in hermaphroditic herbivores, hair shirt benefits, why people who live in caravans like copper so much, AND guitars and their operation.

There is no need for further expansion.[/quote]

I think that just about sums it up, don't you?

Now quick, lock this discussion before the changes become reality!

Edited by Steve Amadeo

[quote name='Tait' post='769849' date='Mar 9 2010, 10:22 PM']perhaps if you made the other instruments forum invisible to non-members in the same way off topic is, that would stop the whole problem of alienating people?[/quote]
Or alternatively you just ignore everyone that wants to talk about anything other than bass, or off topic important discussions like which brand of baked beans are the best, or whether a meal at midday is lunch or dinner, then that would be best. Lets be honest, none of really like those skinny stringed guitards...

I was mulling this over again and went back to the original post. As I thought, he suggested a wide-ranging, non-bass sub-forum, [i]not[/i] a guitar sub-forum.

"Which idiot first mentioned a guitar sub-forum?" I asked myself. "That was [i]bound[/i] to get peoples' backs up."

Whoops. It was me. Consider my suggestion for a [i]guitar[/i] sub-forum retracted.

[quote name='Clarky72' post='769902' date='Mar 9 2010, 11:12 PM']Or alternatively you just ignore everyone that wants to talk about anything other than bass, or off topic important discussions like which brand of baked beans are the best, or whether a meal at midday is lunch or dinner, then that would be best. Lets be honest, none of really like those skinny stringed guitards...[/quote]

people were complaining that maybe non-bassists would join simply to sell guitars and stuff and to discuss non-bass subject, hence making it no longer basschat. your method helps against this how?

[quote name='Tait' post='770670' date='Mar 10 2010, 05:35 PM'].... sell guitars and stuff and to discuss non-bass subjects...[/quote]
Too late. They are already among us. Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold. Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world, the blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned; The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

As for Clarky72 - he's on record as wanting to drink baked bean juice. A prime offender and one to be watched [i]very[/i] closely, if you ask me. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

I for one welcome our new multi-instrumentalist overlords!

But actually, I think off topic suits purpose pretty well.

... If people really do want to set up a guitar forum, theres guitarchat.org and guitarchat.net sitting around doing nothing at the moment...

[quote name='Tait' post='770670' date='Mar 10 2010, 05:35 PM']people were complaining that maybe non-bassists would join simply to sell guitars and stuff and to discuss non-bass subject, hence making it no longer basschat. your method helps against this how?[/quote]
i was just being sarcastic.

the off topic stuff is hilarious, but there's no need for a non-bass section of the site, including a non-visible bit. there's a lot of forums for other instruments already out there and they do a perfectly adequate job, there's no need to dilute the basschat brand and include more instruments.

widening for more mass appeal happens all over the commercial market, and it just dilutes the original idea and ruins what everyone loved from the initial concept. i work for a very successful video games company and we have made our key music product more mass market every time we release a new version of it, we have pretty much ruined it now and are struggling to bring it back to the original core product that everyone loved in the first place and made us so successful.

please dont let basschat go this way...