Jump to content

How was your gig last night?


bassninja

Recommended Posts

On 03/10/2021 at 14:12, Captain Bassman said:

First weekend of Tulley’s Shocktoberfest done - Friday and night and Saturday night.

 

Great vibe and fantastic costumes from the actors around the park.

 

2 nights down, 22 to go!

 

9C7E4005-C648-4C0A-8F9C-4BA78408CE1C.jpeg

9B67ADF1-5538-49D7-83D9-4E22AA4F7859.webp

A17FB2C1-906A-4F42-8059-8B42F9AB6033.webp

14 shows down, 10 to go.

 

We did 5 straight nights last week and it’s 6 this week and 6 again next week.

 

Physically demanding but great fun. Plus we get to perform with the Naughty Nurses (and sundry other characters) every night!

 

7A686619-A6A4-4FBB-A8B2-53F89AA4C42A.webp

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got our first gig tonight after 18mths in the middle of Glasgow with the 70's Glam covers band.

COP26 has meant many roads closed, Orange walk parade in George Square at moment, probably football traffic from Parkhead, and a sink hole has also appeared in city centre with roads being closed off, road outside the venue is now a bus gate so no cars allowed to enter. NCP car park next to the venue will cost us £26 each for over 6hrs parking. Plus general Saturday shoppers traffic.

All this to contend with before i even get to the venue. Sometimes its not worthwhile gigging.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

NCP car park next to the venue will cost us £26 each for over 6hrs parking.

All this to contend with before i even get to the venue. Sometimes its not worthwhile gigging.

Jeez, that sounds as bad as Central London, (and in London the vehicle has to be ULEZ compliant also)

Maybe it would be easier to hire a van + driver ?

They can drop off the gear, and then disappear until you're ready to reload at the end of the evening.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Got our first gig tonight after 18mths in the middle of Glasgow with the 70's Glam covers band.

COP26 has meant many roads closed, Orange walk parade in George Square at moment, probably football traffic from Parkhead, and a sink hole has also appeared in city centre with roads being closed off, road outside the venue is now a bus gate so no cars allowed to enter. NCP car park next to the venue will cost us £26 each for over 6hrs parking. Plus general Saturday shoppers traffic.

All this to contend with before i even get to the venue. Sometimes its not worthwhile gigging.

Dave

Download JustPark and see if there’s any private parking nearby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First gig in over 18 months last night, and first gig with the new singer. The first band on were the headliners (?), but they brought in a decent crowd. Really good band.

 

As ever, loads of people drifted off after the first band, but we did get quite a few people in watching. New singer has a bit more on stage charisma than the previous singer, moved around a fair bit and talked to the crowd too. Wasn't too chuffed when he stood on my POD Go, but he was apologetic afterwards. :D Went down well, and got a few compliments after the show. 🤘👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Jeez, that sounds as bad as Central London, (and in London the vehicle has to be ULEZ compliant also)

Maybe it would be easier to hire a van + driver ?

They can drop off the gear, and then disappear until you're ready to reload at the end of the evening.

You know I’m here @dmccombe7, with a long wheel base van. Happy to help, when I can, but sorry I couldn’t make the gig this time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Jeez, that sounds as bad as Central London, (and in London the vehicle has to be ULEZ compliant also)

Maybe it would be easier to hire a van + driver ?

They can drop off the gear, and then disappear until you're ready to reload at the end of the evening.

We did consider that but with us all living in different parts of Central belt it makes it difficult going round everyone to collect and drop off. 

In the old days we would all just meet at Motorway services and leave from there with a van but these days you only get 2-3 hrs allowed in services without extortionate parking fees.

To make it worse the road that we load / unload was closed off when we finished. Had to get them to move the barriers to allow us to load from back of venue.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great gig at Ivory Blacks in Glasgow last night. Good turn out. 1st gig in 18mths so all a wee bit nervy.  New backing vocalist had her debut and that made a huge difference to the overall sound. Guitarist took on some keys duties too and all seemed to go well.

Few issues with electrics at my side of stage and had to run an exxtension all way over to other side. Thought my Mesa was knackered with nothing but loud crackling coming thru. Tried the venues own bass backline and it was doing the same. Sound check took a bit longer than we expected as Engineer was not the usual one. She appeared very young but to be fair she did a pretty reasonable job considering she probably had no idea what 70's Glam Rock was 😂

She asked me to turn the bass amp down at sound check and it ended up i could hardly hear myself on stage against the drums and guitar.

Using the Mesa Mpulse 600 into Subway 210/115 cabs with my Sandberg VM4.

248346376_10158577071986219_5246732511148559380_n.thumb.jpg.7b95a49ee3b56a87333f927889b92c40.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Got our first gig tonight after 18mths in the middle of Glasgow with the 70's Glam covers band.

COP26 has meant many roads closed, Orange walk parade in George Square at moment, probably football traffic from Parkhead, and a sink hole has also appeared in city centre with roads being closed off, road outside the venue is now a bus gate so no cars allowed to enter. NCP car park next to the venue will cost us £26 each for over 6hrs parking. Plus general Saturday shoppers traffic.

All this to contend with before i even get to the venue. Sometimes its not worthwhile gigging.

Dave

Dave, I hope you all got paid well for all that hassle and added expense.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, steantval said:

Dave, I hope you all got paid well for all that hassle and added expense.

Not too bad. Was a money at door event that we organised ourselves just to get back up and running. Think there were approx 100 people there which was ok.

I guess the gigging issues we had before covid are still all there, i just forgot about them 😂

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Great gig at Ivory Blacks in Glasgow last night. Good turn out. 1st gig in 18mths so all a wee bit nervy.  New backing vocalist had her debut and that made a huge difference to the overall sound. Guitarist took on some keys duties too and all seemed to go well.

Few issues with electrics at my side of stage and had to run an exxtension all way over to other side. Thought my Mesa was knackered with nothing but loud crackling coming thru. Tried the venues own bass backline and it was doing the same. Sound check took a bit longer than we expected as Engineer was not the usual one. She appeared very young but to be fair she did a pretty reasonable job considering she probably had no idea what 70's Glam Rock was 😂

She asked me to turn the bass amp down at sound check and it ended up i could hardly hear myself on stage against the drums and guitar.

Using the Mesa Mpulse 600 into Subway 210/115 cabs with my Sandberg VM4.

248346376_10158577071986219_5246732511148559380_n.thumb.jpg.7b95a49ee3b56a87333f927889b92c40.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great gig at The Waterloo In Blackpool last night for SOLDATO.

Although setting off in plenty of time and planning for Blackpool Illuminations traffic we arrived with about 15 mins to spare before our set up time.

HX Stomp was playing up through the early part of the set - kept powering off and rebooting - need to investigate that!.

All that considered  - happy with how we played.

 

You can catch the whole gig on the link below.  Our slot is from about 45:00 to 1:30:00 on  the video below, 2nd band on.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, theplumber said:

Nice one Dave. Glad it all went well.....backing vocalist?...I think Lynn deserves a bit more respect than that! lol. 

That's what she joined as but we're slowly persuading her to take on more lead vocals. She's just a bit nervous of doing it but she's coming around.

Yep i need to get away from calling her that. Just not sure what to change it to. 2nd Lead singer ?

 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good to see so many folks breaking the crust and getting back into it after ages away.

 

I also had a break of over 18 months without gigs, went straight back to a massive show/ live recording, the biggest of my life really. That was a bit of a shock to the system, after being a cave hermit in the Outer Hebrides for so long.

 

It made me hungry though. Our next show isn’t until December. I might have eaten my hands by then.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Fionn said:

Good to see so many folks breaking the crust and getting back into it after ages away.

 

I also had a break of over 18 months without gigs, went straight back to a massive show/ live recording, the biggest of my life really. That was a bit of a shock to the system, after being a cave hermit in the Outer Hebrides for so long.

 

It made me hungry though. Our next show isn’t until December. I might have eaten my hands by then.

Where were you playing. ?  Love Harris and Lewis. Have relatives that live on Harris and been a few times. Almost moved there butfamily responsibilities meant it wasn't possible. 

Gorgeous place and a great way of life but expensive.

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Aye that would work but would have to be female vocalist and male vocalist. Its all very complicated you know. Life is simpler when there's only one bassist 😂

Dave

Are you allowed to say that now....with all things being ''pc''.....We have two vocalists!....There!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, theplumber said:

Are you allowed to say that now....with all things being ''pc''.....We have two vocalists!....There!

For Gods sake this is getting ridulous. I'll just call them Mikey and Lynn. .......sorted. :dash1::tatice_03:

Am i allowed to say For Gods sake ? Is that religous un-PC. ?? 

I'm not even religious.

What's the world coming to. I blame you Steve @theplumber this all started with you buying 3 P basses you know.

 

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good gig in Village Inn,East Kilbride. The owner Paul is very much behind live music and it's a good venue to play. Pretty packed it suffers from the usual whizzed up punters so called dancing in front of the band. Had stand on the feet of the mike stand to save it getting knocked over a couple of times. One of our guitar players usually plays a Gibson Les Paul. He did the gig with some old £40 thing last night just in case.....For some reason some punters wanted drum sticks off the drummer at the end of the night. I think I might take a handful of old strings with me next time out....

247714855_4824819534216191_1151970509947248559_n.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Where were you playing. ?  Love Harris and Lewis. Have relatives that live on Harris and been a few times. Almost moved there butfamily responsibilities meant it wasn't possible. 

Gorgeous place and a great way of life but expensive.

Dave

We played at the Red Rocks, in Colorado. Our show was on the 5th.
 

Aye, there are sacrifices to be made, living it this wild remote place. It’s all worth it though. Balance is the answer for me, having adventures out in the world and coming back to this wild haven, it affords some nice contrast.

 

Glad that the world is opening up again, for all of us.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

That's what she joined as but we're slowly persuading her to take on more lead vocals. She's just a bit nervous of doing it but she's coming around.

Yep i need to get away from calling her that. Just not sure what to change it to. 2nd Lead singer ?

 

Dave

 

If she's singing BVs, then she's singing BVs - nothing wrong with that!

 

Some of the greatest singers ever have been employed as backing vocalists, '20 Feet from Stardom' and all that...! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, peteb said:

 

If she's singing BVs, then she's singing BVs - nothing wrong with that!

 

Some of the greatest singers ever have been employed as backing vocalists, '20 Feet from Stardom' and all that...! 

Its all good fun with myself and @theplumber. We're friends thru the same bands. Sometimes it comes across as a bit serious when its just good ole Scottish humour.

Lynn started off as BV's but its developing into her doing more lead vocals or sharing vocals with our other singer.

Dave

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...