Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

45 minutes ago, Muzz said:

A return to gigging after being laid low for a couple/three weeks (and missing three gigs! Eeeeek!) with a horrible fluey thing that was worse than pretty much all of the 4 lots of Covid I've had*

Know what you mean….me and the guitarist are both down with it at the minute, coughing like crazy. Singer really had his work cut out as me and guitarist vox died in the second set 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I had a couple of band things coming up this week but I lost my amazing Mum after a very long illness on Tuesday. I was with her when she died peacefully. I hoped I would be up for a new open mic at the pub down the road that my friend is running but figured I would take things a day at a time. My bandmate came over yesterday to run through our songs. To be honest, I welcomed the distraction. We worked up a version of Boys Don't Cry, which I remember buying the 7" single on holiday with Mum back in '86. Obviously I dedicated this to her from the stage. I think we did about 8 or 9 songs and I mostly played on my 8 string mandocello. 

It was my time venturing out socially and I am pleased I gently pushed myself. I have another big band project on Tuesday and this was a dummy run for that. I think I passed with flying colours... although I have the worst hangover today! I'm not looking for sympathy, I am forever grateful that I had a truly inspirational mother. Happy to take sympathy for the self inflicted hangover. I think I'll reign it in when I get past the next couple of weeks. 

c77b0f44-c170-4423-8cf3-785349e85e42.thumb.jpg.e7bcdd41d72a7b1dc415ac64d7543b11.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 11

28 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I had a couple of band things coming up this week but I lost my amazing Mum after a very long illness on Tuesday. I was with her when she died peacefully. I hoped I would be up for a new open mic at the pub down the road that my friend is running but figured I would take things a day at a time. My bandmate came over yesterday to run through our songs. To be honest, I welcomed the distraction. We worked up a version of Boys Don't Cry, which I remember buying the 7" single on holiday with Mum back in '86. Obviously I dedicated this to her from the stage. I think we did about 8 or 9 songs and I mostly played on my 8 string mandocello. 

It was my time venturing out socially and I am pleased I gently pushed myself. I have another big band project on Tuesday and this was a dummy run for that. I think I passed with flying colours... although I have the worst hangover today! I'm not looking for sympathy, I am forever grateful that I had a truly inspirational mother. Happy to take sympathy for the self inflicted hangover. I think I'll reign it in when I get past the next couple of weeks. 

c77b0f44-c170-4423-8cf3-785349e85e42.thumb.jpg.e7bcdd41d72a7b1dc415ac64d7543b11.jpg

Sorry for your loss.  Look after yourself.

• Like 1

A charity event at The George Inn, Ripley, Derbyshire.

My covers band, Top Deck, headlined the multi-act event to raise money for a local youth project. A very busy pub and lots of money raised.  The crowd demanded, demanded I say, that we play Mustang Sally for an encore.  We obliged. 😆D723AB44-A1D9-499D-8524-A504AA0A2B60.jpeg.1a80e740a21bb25ad70bc6d1daa7ddef.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Played one of the worst gigs I've ever done last night... horrible grotty little (anti) social club somewhere in the Midlands.

The sort of place pregnant women go to smoke.

There was a loud ten piece soul band playing a private party in the next room (who sounded pretty good to be fair),there were about 20 people ignoring us, half of whom were kids under ten.

Everyone was vaping indoors, including some of the kids I think.

There was American football on all seven enormous TVs and a dog wandering round.

One guy sarcastically danced, a women asked for Mysterious Girl by  Peter Andre, apart from that, total silence. No applause, no engagement, nothing.

I'd rather have played to the proverbial brick wall.
Longest two 45 minute sets in history. 😐

Played the StingRay and apologised to it four times.

We packed up in 22 minutes flat, which beats the previous record by nearly an hour.

Got paid cash and let us never speak of it again.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 7

Bittersweet night last night with Nine Lives at Grays Inn in Mastrick, Aberdeen.  It wasn't super busy, but the folk who were there were up for a boogie so we had a good time anyway.  Bittersweet because it was the last gig with our outgoing singer.  He's had to quit the band due to increasing family and professional commitments and while we're gutted to lose him (because he's a bloody good singer with a great attitude) we're grateful for the 5 years (3 effectively - thanks COVID) we've been playing together.

Anyhoo, it was a decent sendoff (although I wish the gigs had been swapped, Friday's gig was way busier), we played pretty well, and didn't make it too mushy at the end - no public announcement, a handshake all round, a bit of reminiscence after we packed up and that's it.  Nine Lives v2.0 is no more.  We're working on crafting Nine Lives v3.0.

I finally figured out that I can have double the fun at a gig - what's the point in taking two basses and only using one?  Swapped 'em at half time.  So you get a double dose of festive gear:

GraysInngear120231125.thumb.jpg.80a9488c74178eb1382da541603e5803.jpg GraysInngear220231125.thumb.jpg.b974d90cb3b2516487f79b0a67322d2c.jpg

And, as an added bonus - the bar staff took a wee video.  Oh man, that Markbass stuff is clear sounding, innit?  Mistake amplifer more like!  That was the JC, bass nerds.

Oh christ, you can actually hear the bass.  I'd better get better at playing the damn thing then!

• Like 16
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, neepheid said:

GraysInngear120231125.thumb.jpg.80a9488c74178eb1382da541603e5803.jpg GraysInngear220231125.thumb.jpg.b974d90cb3b2516487f79b0a67322d2c.jpg

And, as an added bonus - the bar staff took a wee video.  Oh man, that Markbass stuff is clear sounding, innit?  Mistake amplifer more like!  That was the JC, bass nerds.

Oh christ, you can actually hear the bass.  I'd better get better at playing the damn thing then!

Nice sounds there mate.

I got hooked on the MarkBass 12” about 8 years back. For me I haven’t been able to find anything that combines the same blend of great sound, size and weight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Played one of the worst gigs I've ever done last night... horrible grotty little (anti) social club somewhere in the Midlands.

There was a loud ten piece soul band playing a private party in the next room (who sounded pretty good to be fair),there were about 20 people ignoring us, half of whom were kids under ten.

There was American football on all seven enormous TVs and a dog wandering round.

One guy sarcastically danced, a women asked for Mysterious Girl by  Peter Andre, apart from that, total silence. No applause, no engagement, nothing.

We packed up in 22 minutes flat, which beats the previous record by nearly an hour.

We’ve all been there mate, paid practice and all that. No fun though….even watching Strictly would probably win out.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Lol, we did a gig like that last year.

A social club with about 10 disinterested punters.

At least you finished your sets, we got asked to pack up after the first set so they could put the jukebox on! Soul destroying...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Standard stuff last night, a local venue that’s a converted dockside warehouse, so live as all hell. Tiny stage for us all to squeeze on to, but was pleasant enough, they danced, they sang, we invoiced and afterwards I found my straplock in bits all over the floor, but thankfully, my expensive bass had somehow managed to stay on the strap!

• Like 8

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Riverside Bar in Dumfries for me last night with Emergency Exit punk covers band. Reasonable sized audience so that was good. Another great night down there but a rapid strip down at the end and off home as i'm back out the house at 10am this morning for an afternoon gig with BLOCKBUSTARZ Glam covers band. Jings i'm gonna sleep tonight.

Was a very cold drive home at -6 oC and everything had a heavy frost at 1am this morning yet this morning there's absolutely no frost at all just 6hrs later.

Dave

WOW! That's cold.

Daryl

• Like 2

Last night... first gig for a month and a bit. Somehow I managed to take a lump off my right thumb on friday and scratch my left palm (opening a paint can with an old chisel - tŵat). But I was ok if a bit sore.

Then weird lead issues when setting up, possibly caused by a dent in a jack plug. Amp went very quiet just like @Woodinblack' issue! Reversingbthe lead solved it. But in the break I blew most of my cut and ordered two neutrik/sommer cables.

Venue was a 400 year old pub, regulars love their music but odd layout. Band and dance area is a step lower than the bar. Very few people in the low section, but packed like sardines in the bar section. So notmuch applause as all holding drinks, instead shouts, whistles and appreciative comments. Feels odd. Did about 45/50 minutes first set, about 65 second set with an encore. Finished a few minutes before the curfew and a couple of punters came in and expressed their disappointment.

So a weird atmosphere but a good gig. Our ott PA and lighting... used the AVII  P and the Flea Jazz. Very different feel and sounds, jazz is more comfy and varied but the P has that oomph so gets the second set.

20231125_203825.thumb.jpg.908ade7b5be7506fe0975cdbd28ff576.jpg

20231125_204041.thumb.jpg.07a51568c9ce156f85880260c4a45570.jpg

• Like 16

37 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Finished a few minutes before the curfew and a couple of punters came in and expressed their disappointment.

Why do people do this?   "This is our last song" - "AWWW WHAT, WE'VE ONLY JUST GOT HERE" - err, it's 1 in the bleedin' morning, we've been playing since 10, feckin' get here sooner in future!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Why do people do this?   "This is our last song" - "AWWW WHAT, WE'VE ONLY JUST GOT HERE" - err, it's 1 in the bleedin' morning, we've been playing since 10, feckin' get here sooner in future!

You always need to play to your audience @neepheid maybe you should have played the first again and let them catch up on what they missed. :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

So sorry to hear about your Mum. Our thoughts are with you. 🥰

Dave

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, neepheid said:

Bittersweet night last night with Nine Lives at Grays Inn in Mastrick, Aberdeen.  It wasn't super busy, but the folk who were there were up for a boogie so we had a good time anyway.  Bittersweet because it was the last gig with our outgoing singer.  He's had to quit the band due to increasing family and professional commitments and while we're gutted to lose him (because he's a bloody good singer with a great attitude) we're grateful for the 5 years (3 effectively - thanks COVID) we've been playing together.

Anyhoo, it was a decent sendoff (although I wish the gigs had been swapped, Friday's gig was way busier), we played pretty well, and didn't make it too mushy at the end - no public announcement, a handshake all round, a bit of reminiscence after we packed up and that's it.  Nine Lives v2.0 is no more.  We're working on crafting Nine Lives v3.0.

I finally figured out that I can have double the fun at a gig - what's the point in taking two basses and only using one?  Swapped 'em at half time.  So you get a double dose of festive gear:

Mobiles generally make bass sound more mid focused is what i've found. Sounds pretty good there. 

Nice one.

Great song to play too.

Dave 

Dave

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, martthebass said:

Nice sounds there mate.

I got hooked on the MarkBass 12” about 8 years back. For me I haven’t been able to find anything that combines the same blend of great sound, size and weight.

I had the 12" combo and ext speaker and altho it always sounded great out front and fits into a mix really well i never quite liked the onstage sound and sold it on to get my first Mesa rig with Mpulse 600 into PH212. I'm really enjoying the Ampeg SVT7 with Mesa SW210/115 cabs. The ampeg has a little bit of grind to it when i dig in that i really like.

Dave

• Like 2

I have happy memories of throwing snowballs at past midnight on the frozen canal in Ontario. It was -20⁰C but bone dry air.

I felt colder three days later standing on the platform at Liverpool St at +1⁰C but in thick drizzle that sucked the heat from your bones.

Edited by Richard R
  • Like 1