Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

2 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

Supposed to be an 12AX7 (ECC83) and an EL84. There were 2 EL84 - the ECC83 (as I understand it!) is a preamp, the EL84 a power amp. No wonder it wouldn't work.

the ecc83 is a dual triode, the el84 is a high power pentode, ignoring an incompatibility in pinout, if you put a EL84 where an ECC83 is supposed to be, half of it isn't going to work as there is only one circuit in it, and they normally use both.

On the plus side, nothing is really going to go bang!

11 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

Supposed to be an 12AX7 (ECC83) and an EL84. There were 2 EL84 - the ECC83 (as I understand it!) is a preamp, the EL84 a power amp. No wonder it wouldn't work.

ECC83 is a dual triode and the EL84 is a power pentode. The pins would be completely different, the only common pins would be the heater.

Oops, hadn't turned the page and read @Woodinblack's reply.

Edited by tauzero
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

the ecc83 is a dual triode, the el84 is a high power pentode, ignoring an incompatibility in pinout, if you put a EL84 where an ECC83 is supposed to be, half of it isn't going to work as there is only one circuit in it, and they normally use both.

On the plus side, nothing is really going to go bang!

It certainly got quite warm when I turned it on! I still haven’t run a bass through it, sounds nice on my old tele though.

On 03/11/2022 at 23:45, LukeFRC said:

E361389B-6C37-420F-BBF4-718DA43C5543.jpeg

The tube in this is a ECC82 (12au7) not the 12ax7 it is supposed to have (though it works fine with the 12au7 and is high enough output anyway)

the random tube I got in a batch with two misslabled 12ax7 on eBay years ago. I only bought it cos I fancied trying something else in the walkabout I had. I think one was a dutch Phillips made thing from the 60's and the other was Chinese. Anyway, one sounded not amazing and one was nicer than the stock.

Anyway, this one which sat forgotten in the garage is a July 1953 Berlin made Telefunken. I know nothing about tubes and don't know if that is good or bad - but it is the oldest thing I own apart from the house (1790-1820) 

A quick straw poll for you to help me out at work - 

Would you buy, or at least be interested in a Peak/atlas style transistor tester at a lower price from a very reputable UK/EU supplier (not playing the Chinese eBay lottery).

I've considered buying them before but 50 quid ish is a lot of money for something I'm going to use sparingly, so it seems like a big gap in the market to me, but I'd be interested to get your view.

19 minutes ago, bobbass4k said:

A quick straw poll for you to help me out at work - 

Would you buy, or at least be interested in a Peak/atlas style transistor tester at a lower price from a very reputable UK/EU supplier (not playing the Chinese eBay lottery).

I've considered buying them before but 50 quid ish is a lot of money for something I'm going to use sparingly, so it seems like a big gap in the market to me, but I'd be interested to get your view.

I was looking at transistor testers last night... my conclusion was you can buy the Chinese ones from UK sellers for not much. 

6 hours ago, bobbass4k said:

I’ve got one of the cheap ones from a UK eBay seller and it’s ok, but I had to mount the bare board  on a bit of wood to make it practical. It does feel as if there’s a gap in the market between the eBay bargains and the Peak kit. Although I follow Peak on twitter and they’re clearly thoroughly good eggs so I’d feel guilty.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 15:03, LukeFRC said:

The tube in this is a ECC82 (12au7) not the 12ax7 it is supposed to have (though it works fine with the 12au7 and is high enough output anyway)

the random tube I got in a batch with two misslabled 12ax7 on eBay years ago. I only bought it cos I fancied trying something else in the walkabout I had. I think one was a dutch Phillips made thing from the 60's and the other was Chinese. Anyway, one sounded not amazing and one was nicer than the stock.

Anyway, this one which sat forgotten in the garage is a July 1953 Berlin made Telefunken. I know nothing about tubes and don't know if that is good or bad - but it is the oldest thing I own apart from the house (1790-1820) 

Telefunken were the big German valve maker and on a par with  Philips and Mullard. Should be a good un.

4 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Anyone here ordered from PedalPCB? 
How long it take to get here? Mine reached the UK two weeks ago so guess caught in customs limbo :(

I've ordered a couple of times. I'd say it takes 2 weeks normally. Is it the post office strikes? 2 weeks is a long time in customs, but I've waited a long time for stuff that has got stuck in the sorting office. Last December I waited over a month for stuff posted within the UK!

8 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Anyone here ordered from PedalPCB? 
How long it take to get here? Mine reached the UK two weeks ago so guess caught in customs limbo :(

I had one order that took 3 days to get from Georgia to London, then over 2 weeks to get from London to York

Here's a few kits I've built from Jeds Peds and Fuzzdog. The Trem, Mad Mule and delay are more guitar based but the fuzz and SHO work really well on bass.

All designs were done as a joint effort with my daughter using posca pens and then a couple coats of varnish over the top.

The fuzz sounds amazing with my precision, you can't really play more than one note at a time but it gets really dirty and still keeps nice definition. The SHO is a clone of the ZVex Super Hard On clean boost and adds a huge amount of boost when needed, perfect for pushing preamps tubes!

IMG_2057.thumb.JPG.c3f1217a44dbd0e300b44000b9cffa3d.JPG
IMG_2054.thumb.JPG.e1c19fdeeca86553343331fd4a4bf850.JPG
IMG_2053.thumb.JPG.3b87ddde394362a92472d1d994ac674f.JPG
IMG_2055.thumb.JPG.300bf183c7806a80311eb8295aa4991c.JPG
IMG_2056.thumb.JPG.85a7c2cd91710dae4adbb31241ae42e6.JPG
IMG_2061.thumb.JPG.e7fcee75c033499c0769036f4443158a.JPG
IMG_2058.thumb.JPG.d96691d544998064777ecb9f36a7a89d.JPG
IMG_2060.thumb.JPG.27431e6a4fffea735d274e04969832e2.JPG
IMG_2059.thumb.JPG.e4a5855ad584e02828d4f91627db0b6b.JPG

• Like 5

On 05/12/2022 at 18:53, LukeFRC said:

Ok - so it sounds like I just need to wait :( 

They arrived!! Woop

btw in my experience, unless you are buying loads of stuff to buy loads, musikdings kits of whoever are still the most cost effective source

3 hours ago, Bassybert said:

Here's a few kits I've built from Jeds Peds and Fuzzdog. The Trem, Mad Mule and delay are more guitar based but the fuzz and SHO work really well on bass.

All designs were done as a joint effort with my daughter using posca pens and then a couple coats of varnish over the top.

The fuzz sounds amazing with my precision, you can't really play more than one note at a time but it gets really dirty and still keeps nice definition. The SHO is a clone of the ZVex Super Hard On clean boost and adds a huge amount of boost when needed, perfect for pushing preamps tubes!

IMG_2057.thumb.JPG.c3f1217a44dbd0e300b44000b9cffa3d.JPG

Anyone familiar with the works of Terry Pratchett may remember "The Prid of Ankh-Morpork" and the signwriter's scream after stepping back to admire his work. I can imagine the same thing with "INENSITY". That's some admirable artwork, your daughter has an active imagination. I trust you'll continue to produce pedals for her to decorate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1