Why become a member? ×

Homemade Mute - opinions

lanark

So I'm looking to use a mute / damper to get that motown / baby bass sound (already have flats). But I was wondering where to draw the line - how much damping do I need before it gets too much? (by the way, I'm just using a kitchen sponge with the scourer pad cut off, stuck under the strings near the bridge - should that be enough to do the job?)

So what do you all use?

I took a pair of scissors to an old neoprene mouse mat. Cut one strip so it just wedged nicely under all the strings, then cut another one the same in case I wanted super-thumpy. I usually just use the one strip though, right infront of the bridge on my Jazz.

I don't know if a nylon sponge would be stiff enough but give it a go anyway. If not mousemats are two or three quid. :)

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='Doddy' post='756176' date='Feb 24 2010, 03:40 PM'][attachment=43456:85365181.jpg][/quote]
I'd use a foam mute about half the width the BB is using in this photo, and make it soft foam. When playing live you can "over damp" and kill the note. These guys were all running into a big mixing desk so they didn't have that problem.

[quote name='lanark' post='756134' date='Feb 24 2010, 02:50 PM']So I'm looking to use a mute / damper to get that motown / baby bass sound (already have flats). But I was wondering where to draw the line - how much damping do I need before it gets too much? (by the way, I'm just using a kitchen sponge with the scourer pad cut off, stuck under the strings near the bridge - should that be enough to do the job?)

So what do you all use?[/quote]

I had a sample piece about 4" x 3" of Firestone Butyl Rubber pond liner sitting on my computer desk, I was using it as a beer mat. :)

Then I rolled it up tight (bit like a spliff!) & stuffed it under the strings so it's wedged in place on the Badass upstream of the adjustable saddles, works a treat, best damper I've tried :rolleyes: & it kind of looks OK :lol:

• 3 months later...

[quote name='KiOgon' post='761137' date='Mar 1 2010, 09:11 PM']I had a sample piece about 4" x 3" of Firestone Butyl Rubber pond liner sitting on my computer desk, I was using it as a beer mat. :)

Then I rolled it up tight (bit like a spliff!) & stuffed it under the strings so it's wedged in place on the Badass upstream of the adjustable saddles, works a treat, best damper I've tried :rolleyes: & it kind of looks OK :lol:[/quote]
I like the look of that. Can you get that at B&Q?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='873168' date='Jun 21 2010, 12:19 AM']I like the look of that. Can you get that at B&Q?[/quote]
I don't know if B&Q do it but most water garden centres have Butyl by the roll - I'm sure they give out 'samples' - that's where mine came from. I just remembered you can request samples of various materials - Google pond liners.

Cheers,
John

[quote name='Fraktal' post='756223' date='Feb 24 2010, 05:28 PM']At the risk of getting a lifetime ban from these forums I have to confess I use an old sock...

Dont worry, it went to the laundry first![/quote]
A yellow duster.....Just dont complain when she aint done the housework

[quote name='KiOgon' post='873866' date='Jun 21 2010, 08:47 PM']I don't know if B&Q do it but most water garden centres have Butyl by the roll - I'm sure they give out 'samples' - that's where mine came from. I just remembered you can request samples of various materials - Google pond liners.

Cheers,
John[/quote]
Thanks.

[color="#4B0082"][font="Palatino Linotype"][size=6][i][b]Grand Wazoo to the rescue...[/b][/i][/size][/font][/color]

I have 6 strips of neoprene compound, each strip 'nuff for 2 mutes, size as follows: [b]12cm long x 3cm wide x 2cm thick[/b] if you cut them in half - lengthwise - you'll manage to get 2 decent sets of mutes wide enough for up to a 6 strings bass.

[b]Please form an orderly queue.[/b]

pm me and we will sort out something involving you sending me a self addressed small jiffy bag and I will post the strips to you's

here are the pics, they are black, although they look gray in the poor phone camera shots and they come off brand new Land Rovers cars loaded on my ship, what happen they put them on the outside of the car doors to prevent doors banging against one another, once they get discharged they throw all these foam strips in a bucket. As I used them on all my basses I still had loads left for you guys.

So PM me and they are yours.