Why become a member? ×

Homemade Mute - opinions

lanark

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='874041' date='Jun 21 2010, 11:47 PM']At least get my username right you.... debutant! :)

I got your pm, and the one from a Zach and an Essential Tension so now...

[size=4][b]it's only 3 strips left[/b][/size][/quote]

Whoops! That's me rushing on the iPhone.

Many thanks.

[quote name='lanark' date='Feb 24 2010, 03:50 PM' post='756134']
So I'm looking to use a mute / damper to get that motown / baby bass sound (already have flats). But I was wondering where to draw the line - how much damping do I need before it gets too much? (by the way, I'm just using a kitchen sponge with the scourer pad cut off, stuck under the strings near the bridge - should that be enough to do the job?)

Yup - that's what I use

Just a small update: I've received the first self addressed envelope from a gentleman who's initials are GW and I have already stuffed the foam strip in it and posted it early this morning, you should get it tomorrow morning.

Note:

I've need to add that before you cut the foam you are going to need a very sharp stanley type knife and measure the sponge to be as little as 1/16" above the height of the strings, if you measure this right you will find that ideally you should end up with a strip which is thicker by the D & G strings side, and thinner by the E & B side in case of a 5 strings bass, as it needs to provide only a gentle damping to be effective, I've tried and tested it and threw many wrongly cut strips away, if you make it any thincker you would really deaden the vibrations and the sound as a result.

Just thought anyone who didn't know this might like to............

Tony Levin used a disposable nappy to damp his strings when he recorded "Don't give up" from Peter Gabriels "SO" album.

I now return you to the great foam giveaway. :)