Why become a member? ×

BRAVEWOOD P-bass

vintage_ben

***THIS BASS IS NOW SOLD***

Absolutely stunning Bravewood precision bass which unfortunately has to go as I have a new Sadowsky on the way and the exchange rate is killing me.

Lightweight body, one piece maple neck all finished in Nitro cellulose Olympic White. Unlike most Bravewood basses this has a factory fitted Badass II bridge and Seymour Duncan Basslines 'Quarter Pound' pickup. Although not strictly 'vintage' I think the bass is all the better for it.

Photos of the bass as it appeared new are still on the Bravewood site.
[url="http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk/customercomments.html"]http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk/customercomments.html[/url] (go about 2 thirds down the page, Luke from Slough) and I believe the listing from when it was originally sold is still on the forum somewhere.

You'll notice it originally had a black pick guard. I've since replaced this with an anodized guard as the Olympic White and Maple neck, give it that cool late 50s look. You could easily chnage it back, or I have a tortoise guard which I can switch to if you'd prefer.

The bass was made in 10/10 condition and is starting to show some signs of genuine playing wear. A 'real' Bravewood relic, well 9/10 maybe! The finish is absolutely superb, one of the best I've seen on a Fender style bass, and the build quality is superb. The neck has a lovely subtle flame. This is leagues ahead of any of the Fender custom shop basses or alternatives such as Nash who simply assemble Fender licensed parts. This is a custom built instrument through and through.

I'd been looking in the region of £950 ono. I'm open to sensible offers on this.

Happy to answer any questions

Edited by vintage_ben

In all my years of playing, only one bass has made its way into my 'never sell' category and it's a Bravewood fretless. John Elliot makes some seriously good instruments...phenomenal...

Bravewood = CS Masterbuilt +1

These are very serious instruments..

N

Edited by Cairobill

[quote name='BassBod' post='755633' date='Feb 23 2010, 11:00 PM']As a former owner of this bass, I can confirm it has THE best neck..ever. Big and solid like a Pbass should be - perfect. The body's not bad either![/quote]

Does that mean it has a really 'chunky' neck like maybe a late 70'4 Fender?

[quote name='molan' post='755723' date='Feb 24 2010, 01:22 AM']Does that mean it has a really 'chunky' neck like maybe a late 70'4 Fender?[/quote]

Thats the thing. It is chunky (deep and wide) but doesn't feel it, until you pick up a Jbass. I put this neck on a Bravewood light alder Jbody for a week or two (long story) and it was easily the best "fender" I've ever played. Too Jaco even for me!

[quote name='Cairobill' post='755663' date='Feb 23 2010, 11:38 PM']In all my years of playing, only one bass has made its way into my 'never sell' category and it's a Bravewood fretless. John Elliot makes some seriously good instruments...phenomenal...

Bravewood = CS Masterbuilt +1

These are very serious instruments..

N[/quote]
Agreed. I now regret selling my Bravewood stacker. Wish John would start doing comissions again! :)

Thanks for all the positive replies. It's gotta be cash I'm afraid Jack. If it weren't for our a new Sadowsky and an awful exchange rate, I wouldn't be selling it.

Bassbod (I wont reveal his real name!) is spot on with the neck. It's definitely chunky compared to a Jazz Bass, but super comfortable and I'm a small handed chap. I find it quite similar to a late 50s style P Bass and is not too far off a Stringray.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BassBod' post='759777' date='Feb 28 2010, 02:17 PM']I'm very surprised this is still here. I've recently "acquired" two very nice basses - a Sadowsky and a Stingray, but I'd still be tempted.....[/quote]

My Sadowsky is due shortly. What model did you get? If you're around town at any point soon I'd love to get a peek of it.

Its a Metro P/J hybrid jobbie, natural ash/maple - traded on here with the good folk of BC. The only issue is its about 6 months old and spotless...so I'm just waiting for the first dent....

Welcome to have a look, although I don't venture into the shop very often - PM/email or call?

Hope the Pbass went to a good home.