Why become a member? ×

Why are Fodera's so expensive

paulie

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='754890' date='Feb 23 2010, 12:28 PM']if Fodera's basses were more affordable, say £3000 then they would have double if not triple the orders which would push the waiting list through the roof and then everyone would be disappointed!![/quote]

Or... they'd move to a bigger workshop, employ more staff, make more money for themselves, sell cheaper basses and everyone would be happy!!

[quote name='largo' post='755041' date='Feb 23 2010, 02:39 PM']Or... they'd move to a bigger workshop, employ more staff, make more money for themselves, sell cheaper basses and everyone would be happy!![/quote]

I think the whole reason fodera's are so good is because its one guy who makes them all.

Anything else just wouldnt be the same and the brand would be diluted and thats not what they want. I dont think they're in it for the money!

Look at brands like sadowsky! He could churn out thousands of basses if he brought out a budget range and employed loads more staff, but what would be the point in that?? Quality would suffer and so would the name and reputation of the company

:)

I'm very intrigued by Fodera basses. I played a Wooten Monarch recently and it felt very responsive and beautifully made. Prices do seem to be astronomic though, especially for the Imperial five string singlecuts.

I still haven't had the opportunity to play a Wood and Tronics Chronos, which seems to be the Euro version of a Fodera.

Anyone played a Chronos and a Fodera Imperial five string (strung E to C, 32 or 33 inch scale)? How do they compare?

Nick

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='755096' date='Feb 23 2010, 03:30 PM']I think the whole reason fodera's are so good is because its one guy who makes them all.

Anything else just wouldnt be the same and the brand would be diluted and thats not what they want. I dont think they're in it for the money!

Look at brands like sadowsky! He could churn out thousands of basses if he brought out a budget range and employed loads more staff, but what would be the point in that?? Quality would suffer and so would the name and reputation of the company

:)[/quote]

Er.. aren't Metros precisely that, albeit in a more expensive price range?
He might oversee the operation in Tokyo but he's not building them, so as Metros are around half the price of an NYC then I think they count as "budget" :rolleyes:

I've played quite a lot of Foderas, from an Anthony Jackson presentation through a couple of Imperials and VWs down to the basic 4-string Monarch. All but one of them (an Imperial Singlecut) were distinctly ordinary in finishing and tone (for the price). Most Fodera endorsees tend to have that "sound" that is like a smoother Ken Smith (which is where Vinnie Fodera learned his craft). I've just picked up a Peavey TL-6 for about 10 times less than the corresponding Fodera. It is beautifully handmade, with a carbon fibre headstock overlay and rods in the neck, superb B-string on a 34" scale, neck thru with flamed maple body and macassar ebony board. Electronics needed a bit of TLC but otherwise it could easily compete with any boutique bass. Foderas are fashionable so have made a certain niche for themselves. Nothing wrong with that imho but if you don't have £5000+, don't sweat because you can get what you want and need for a lot less...

It takes time to build a bass, and Vinny (like everyone else) has a finite amount of time. Everybody wants his product, and he can only produce a certain number a month. If you were in his shoes, and charging $2k would mean you have a 25 year waiting list, wouldn't you charge more? Of course you wouldn't... the same way you wouldn't take another job that has the same workload and pays better. :)

[quote name='XB26354' post='756623' date='Feb 24 2010, 11:18 PM']Er.. aren't Metros precisely that, albeit in a more expensive price range?
He might oversee the operation in Tokyo but he's not building them, so as Metros are around half the price of an NYC then I think they count as "budget" :)[/quote]

i think you missed my point!

Metro's are built to the same quality level as NYC's (Roger says so himself) but with less colour/wood/custom options, hence the lower price point. i dont see over £1500 as a budget model.......

by budget i meant more like a sub £400 bass (absolutely nothing wrong with basses of that price by the way) he could bang out thousands of those if he wanted but thats just not what he's about.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='753141' date='Feb 21 2010, 07:38 PM']its all done with smoke and mirrors

In my opinion Rickenbackers are overpriced - terrible bridges that are fiddly at best to adjust, bridge surrounds that lacerate your fingers, 2 truss rods that work differently to nearly every other bass in existence and that most people are scared to touch, uncomfortable slab body, the midnight blue ones a couple of years ago had a finish that ran underneath the top varnish onto the binding. That and they sound nothing like they do on the records.

The price has increased by about 50% in the past couple of years and you have to wait however long now to get one.

Doesn't stop me wanting a C64, V63 or the daddy - the CS, though :rolleyes:[/quote]

I have to say that I've got a 2008 Midnight Blue 4003 and i've not experienced any of the finish and bridge problems you suggest. The quality is really excellent and the finish near flawless (and I've played a lot of high end basses). The reason for the price jumping and demand is due to their batch production and distribution technique - every time a new batch comes out the price is increased. I was really lucky to get mine during the VAT reduction for £1200 brand new from GuitarGuitar in Glasgow, they had a new batch in 6 months later for £1750 a pop :) .

The slab body, etc is a personal taste thing. I find it rubs my wrist a bit but I use a wristband anyways. I guess if people werent happy with the design quirks they could always look at a different instrument.

Oh OK, you didn't mention sub-£400.
Do Sadowsky, Ken Smith, Pedulla, MTD, Dingwall, Lakland, F Bass, Lull, Roscoe, Zon, Modulus or any other high-end luthier (except Spector, but then he's chopped and changed ownership and the name for 30 years+) make sub-£400 basses? All that owning a Fodera says about the average player (as opposed to a "name pro") is that they've got a lot of time on their hands and lots of money to burn :rolleyes:

In fact Fodera's NYC range is a much cheaper bolt on model - at typically £2500 they come in around half the price of a neck thru Imperial. Not cheap but by Fodera's standards a "budget" model...
There is this mystique about the name - I know, I got sucked into it until I got my hands on a few. They have a certain sound and feel, just like any other hand crafted bass.

Still, good luck to them - they've done well to get so many high-profile artists on board. Mine'll be an Anthony Jackson presentation, just as soon as I get the c.$20,000 :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='754641' date='Feb 23 2010, 07:31 AM']I'd completely agree but the reason for that is Jon uses very VERY stiff maple in the necks. Having said that, my bass is incredibly responsive and sounds HUGE. Each note leaps off the fingerboard...there are NO deadspots. So long as the pickups are nice and flat tonally and your rig is also relatively flat that means superb projection on stage where softer basses might sound woolly. So might be that Shuker basses are just better live than in the bedroom/studio.[/quote]

So not much use if you never have everything flat then? :)

[quote name='XB26354' post='756623' date='Feb 24 2010, 11:18 PM']if you don't have £5000+, don't sweat because you can get what you want and need for a lot less...[/quote]

But if you want a Fodera then only a Fodera will do. It doesn't matter that another bass may play as well, sound as good; it won't look the same and it won't be the same.

[quote name='XB26354' post='756999' date='Feb 25 2010, 12:55 PM']...Do Sadowsky, Ken Smith, Pedulla, MTD, Dingwall, Lakland, F Bass, Lull, Roscoe, Zon, Modulus or any other high-end luthier (except Spector, but then he's chopped and changed ownership and the name for 30 years+) make sub-£400 basses?[/quote]

Do I detect a connection here? They're all American. There's been little mention so far of European Luthiers / Manufacturers, some of whom must surely be close to Fodera price tags (Ritter?!)

With regard to "value for money" perceptions, Is a Fodera 10 times better than a Mexican Fender? probably not (unless you get a dodgy one!)

Is it 5 times better than an entry level (German) Warwick?

Is it 3 times better than a Vigier or Status?

Is it twice as good as a Wal, Enfield or Gus?

I think what I'm trying to say is that as you ascend the curve of diminishing returns, expensive items might start to [i]look[/i] more appealing.
The flaw in my argument above is that if I had £4k or so, I'd probably have a mixture of instruments rather than 4 from the same.

If I had to buy just one, I'd be looking at Ritters, Basslabs, Thompsons, Smiths, Alembics etc. There are others out there at those prices, so it's a bit unfair to single out Fodera..

It's like I said in the Gus thread. Expensive custom basses don't sell to someone who wants a bass. They sell to someone who wants that particular bass. At that price you're not just paying for a great looking/sounding/playing instrument, you buying into that particular luthier's total creative vision.

Some people get that total concept thing and for them the asking price is worth every cent/penny. Others won't and therefore a bass like that isn't for them.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='759418' date='Feb 27 2010, 09:01 PM']No I just spout my opinion wit no experience, it's the internet :)[/quote]

They're not that expensive.... see here: [url="http://www.e4hats.com/_e/gdept/93/Fedora_Summer.htm?gclid=CNCbjPz3l6ACFV2X2Aod2jS7eA"]LINK[/url]

I personally like the glitter one!

[quote name='BigRedX' date='Feb 27 2010, 03:39 PM' post='759198']
At that price you're not just paying for a great looking/sounding/playing instrument, you buying into that particular luthier's total creative vision.

Spot on

• 1 month later...

On the one hand, I don't think that any bass is worth +$10,000, but then again, if it's the one perfect bass that will kill all future GAS and be 100% ideal for anything you're ever gonna play - why not? I just find it hard to beleive that such a bass exists...