Why become a member? ×

Stingray 5s vs Warwick 5s

Musicman20

Hey chaps

I've finally narrowed down the two 5 string basses i want. I can only get one!

First, Warwick $$ Streamer 5 in honey oil w/gold hardware.

Second, Stingray 5 in White w/tort guard n rosewood board. Single H.

The Stingray is £300 more I might add.

Stingray 5s do come up for sale v cheap which worries me, and I'd get one but I want this colour!

Warwicks are a mystery to me.

I have two EBs already, but I do REALLY like them :)

What are your opinions?!

I have tried Warwicks before, the necks didnt bother me so much, its just i always invisiged getting THAT tone that some of my fave Warwick players get. Whenever i get a Warwick, i can NEVER get that tone, no matter how hard i try.

However, every Musicman i have bought, i have managed to get THAT tone that famous Musicman players get.

The way i see it, you have to put in some effort and work for THAT tone with a Warwick. With a MM i barely put in any effort and am completely happy.

That said this is my opinion not yours :)

I think everyone should own a USA G&L at one point, even just to try it.

Very,very underestimated basses. Tonal range, playability, and what owners call the OMG switch........it's like a turbo button. These were Leo's last basses after all, and all that knowledge didn't go to waste. Unfortunately I had to sell mine a while back to get get my ultimate dream bass ( a 77 Ray funnily enough ), but it was a TOUGH call and I have been keepign a beady eye open for the right one at the right price.

In a straight choice between MM and Warwick...................sorry to our German chums who make some stunning basses like the deluxe custome shop model for sale on here, but ifor work-a-day its MM every time.
Gets the job done !!
S

It'd be the MusicMan 5 for me as well. The Warwick 5's have narrower string spacing which can be a pain if you're used to 18-19mm spacing, but the MM necks are better & the tone is richer. Pre early 2008 model MM5's also have the ceramic magnets for a very tight and focused sound. Alnico magnets since. Highly recommended. :)

Why did I sell mine?!

I always loved the look of Warwicks, and thought that I'd really want one someday. However, when I finally got my hands on a few to try they TOTALLY weren't my thing. A bit dissapointing, but I got over it.

So I'd go for the stingray myself.

EDIT: Try a Spector (Euro 5). They are great!

Edited by Golchen

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='741739' date='Feb 11 2010, 09:05 AM']It'd be the MusicMan 5 for me as well. The Warwick 5's have narrower string spacing which can be a pain if you're used to 18-19mm spacing...[/quote]
This ^^^.

I tried a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5-string, and I pretty much couldn't play it. I mean, I'm sure I'd get used to it, but the spacing's about 14.5 mm (unless you get a "Broadneck" model, in which case it's about 20 mm or something... no sensible middle ground at Warwick! :) ).

The Stingray 5's 17.5 mm at the bridge, and while it feels noticeably tighter than a Fender or a 4-string Stingray, it's a much easier transition. Plus the 3-way switching (series/single-coil/parallel) makes it really flexible tonally. Team that up with the 3-band EQ and you're away. Who needs a neck pickup? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Golchen' post='741754' date='Feb 11 2010, 09:18 AM']I always loved the look of Warwicks, and thought that I'd really want one someday. However, when I finally got my hands on a few to try they TOTALLY weren't my thing. A bit dissapointing, but I got over it.

So I'd go for the stingray myself.[/quote]

Same experience with me just I end up with Spector

Woah! I was expecting such a resounding vote for the Ray. If I'm honest, the ray is more my style, and since I was 15 or so and I first saw one hanging there, I thought 'if I get a 5 string it's the ray'.

You know what puts me off though? Not the retail, but the price they go for secondhand. People seem to lose a lot. I don't expect to sell it on, but it's nice to have that security.

Rich, are the new Ray 5s different with pickups then?!

They do have my dream colour in stock...

Suprisingly I like the plate...I would get a classic series but they are more money, and they have no selector/2band eq, and I'd like a mid control for max flexibilty with a 5 string.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='741843' date='Feb 11 2010, 11:17 AM']You know what puts me off though? Not the retail, but the price they go for secondhand. People seem to lose a lot. I don't expect to sell it on, but it's nice to have that security.[/quote]
Everything seems to go through phases, and Warwicks don't seem to be doing that well second-hand at the moment. Remember that we've had some massive price hikes recently (across pretty much all brands), so comparing [b]current[/b] retail prices with second-hand prices is going to distort the apparent losses. The people selling SR5s around £800 may have only paid around £1k for them a few years ago. Not a huge hit to take. If the retail price stays high, I'd expect to see second-hand prices creeping up again soon.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='741843' date='Feb 11 2010, 11:17 AM']Suprisingly I like the plate...I would get a classic series but they are more money, and they have no selector/2band eq, and I'd like a mid control for max flexibilty with a 5 string.[/quote]
Having just taken delivery of an OLP 5-string with John East pre, I'm quite tempted to get an East for my fretless SR5. The sweepable mid takes it even further in terms of flexibility. Just another thing to think about! :)

Edited by BottomEndian

If they're the only 2 choices it'd be the 'ray for me too. I've never played a 'modern' Warwick that I've liked enough to buy (none of them are anywhere close to the mid-90's models IMHO), whereas with the MM5 - you always know what you're going to get. They are consistently great! They drop a fair bit in the s/h market BECAUSE they're so popular, so there's always quite a few of them for sale. I'd have another MM5 tomorrow if it weren't for the string spacing. As it is I prefer my Lakland 5501 - ergonomics are better for me is all...

Consider going for a different colour combo s/h though - think about what you're paying the extra for. It's a colour for goodness sake!

I've had a MM5 and Bongo5 in my time btw...

Edited by Bigwan

It's completely a tale of two basses.

Alot of people may recommend the Stingray based on their experience, others will recommend the Warwick's, having owned both a 5 String Double Buck and a 5 String Stingray i can promote and demote them both from different perspectives, i will ask you though have you been able to sit down with both basses and have you road tested them accordingly? if so which one worked out best for you?

Both basses have strong individual merits, but i will say that i no longer own either bass as neither really worked for me in the long run, in truth no Warwick or Musicman has stayed with me long except my two vintage Wicks which are a whole different story altogether, however if this is all about opinion and constructive recommendations then i can only suggest you play them both at any given opportunity even if you have to get on a train or travel to try them *the train fare or petrol will no doubt be less than the money you'll lose on a sale if you don't like it* and compare them against one another on a like for like basis.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='741984' date='Feb 11 2010, 12:48 PM']I would love to a b them both, but the store I am dealing with are way down south. I can't even have a quick road test of one up here as no shops stock either of them :)[/quote]
Sounds Live don't have an SR5? Well, my offer of a few weeks back still stands: if you want to have a noodle on my fretless SR5 (and my OLP if you fancy it), let me know. I'm pretty nearby.

(Be warned, though: it's a 1993, so it's alnico magnets and no phantom coil.)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='741739' date='Feb 11 2010, 09:05 AM']but the MM necks are better & the tone is richer.[/quote]

That's a matter of opinion though. Personally i can't stand MM basses, i've played a few and found the necks awful and the basses generally clumsy. Warwicks are much more my thing, IMO their necks wee on MM necks from a great height.

Warwick necks aren't for everybody, i bought my 1st Warwick based on the sound i could get out of it (again, IMO much better than any MM i've played). The neck didn't take long to get used to and i was converted pretty quickly.

I'd say a Jazz and a Warwick are the only two neck profiles i feel at home on

Well, if im honest I can definitely adapt to necks. Ive tried a few 5 string necks recently...the Lakland DJ/JO, the Spector, and a very very quick go on a Warwick which doesnt really validate as a test. I have also played a Ray 5 for a small amount of time. The Lakkie necks were easiest to play straight away, but Ive had so many QC issues, (thats me being unlucky I think) that I gave up. That and the massive waiting time put me off. I do like what Lakland do and many users on here have good examples, but £1200 for an Indonesian bass with things I wasnt happy with meant Warwick and Stingray came to mind.

Why did I think of Warwick I hear you ask?! Well, I have two Stingrays already. I was thinking of going totally different and new....something Im not used to and that has a different tone. Thats why the $$ came to mind. I did also think aboutySpector. Love the style, love the wood, not that into the tone....but thats just me! The Warwick demos ive heard definitely sound 'Warwick'.

The $$ I was after has sold, BUT, I can order another with any spec I want.

Keep the input coming....thanks

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='741991' date='Feb 11 2010, 12:51 PM']Sounds Live don't have an SR5? Well, my offer of a few weeks back still stands: if you want to have a noodle on my fretless SR5 (and my OLP if you fancy it), let me know. I'm pretty nearby.

(Be warned, though: it's a 1993, so it's alnico magnets and no phantom coil.)[/quote]

Hey man

Thanks, Soundslive have no stock. GuitarGuitar and Soundslive have no Warwick or Stingray 5s!

Ill have to see if I can travel to check out your fretless....youll have to excuse my rubbish fretless playing though....only tinkered with fretless once before.

SR5 - my favourite Musicman.just smooth and fat sounding imo - sits great in a mix or a band
I've A/B'd my single H SR5 vs Bongo 5HH many times.The Bongo has great tone,and is loads more versatile but I'd keep the SR5 over it every time. Its just an outstanding working tool - does what its meant to without fuss. No constant fiddling with control knobs - parallel mode with a teeny amount of bass boost and I've found its the tone that fits in with everything and anything.

Mines has ceramic pickups btw - (they changed back to alnico when the Sterling 5 came out)

fwiw I've always preferred the tone of the USA Sterling 4s (ceramic)to Stingray 4s (alnico)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='741671' date='Feb 11 2010, 02:37 AM']Hey chaps

I've finally narrowed down the two 5 string basses i want. I can only get one!

First, Warwick $$ Streamer 5 in honey oil w/gold hardware.

Second, Stingray 5 in White w/tort guard n rosewood board. Single H.[/quote]

Had a warwick corvette 5 and sold it and bought a stingray 5... best move I ever made

Warwick neck is like a baseball bat and will give you CTS in a jiff, also it only does the warwick tone and NOTHING else

Stingray 5 has a slightly wider string spacing, a really thin neck (Thumb to finger) and does all the tones with a much higher output

IMHO a no brainer

[quote name='Monz' post='742389' date='Feb 11 2010, 06:56 PM']Had a warwick corvette 5 and sold it and bought a stingray 5... best move I ever made

Warwick neck is like a baseball bat and will give you CTS in a jiff, also it only does the warwick tone and NOTHING else

Stingray 5 has a slightly wider string spacing, a really thin neck (Thumb to finger) and does all the tones with a much higher output

IMHO a no brainer[/quote]

[b]Some[/b] warwick necks may be like a baseball bat!
I'm also not sure it's true they only do one sound. They will (depending on PUs) sit differently in the mix, so what type of band you're in alters it too.
Find one to try, then go buy the SR.

However for the price of a new warwick you could probably buy a second hand MM, a secondhand warwick and still have change!

[quote name='Monz' post='742389' date='Feb 11 2010, 06:56 PM']Warwick neck is like a baseball bat and will give you CTS in a jiff, also it only does the warwick tone and NOTHING else

Stingray 5 has a slightly wider string spacing, a really thin neck (Thumb to finger) and does all the tones with a much higher output[/quote]

I'd disagree on that, I'd say the Warwick he's chosen will have a much larger range of tone than the Ray. Given, Corvettes can be a little limited but the Jazzman is a very versatile bass.

I've owned 1) Musicman: EB Sterling, EB Stingray and still have a pre-EB Ray.
2) Warwick: 6er Corvette, 2 Streamer Jazzmans (1 still owned. Sold the first, had to buy another :rolleyes:, a Fortress and a Corvette $$

Would say for pickup and play (and slap) its Ray all the way- pre-EB neck is nick and slim, Sterling had a tiiiiny neck which I couldn't get on with and the EB Ray had quite a nice chunky neck but not too big.

For range of tone plus the trademark growl, can't beat a Warwick. Necks on these were variable. Quite large on the 6 and 5s but not too deep- I found it very similar to the EB ray. $$ had a slim round neck which was nice but not my cup of tea.

Overall I'd say if you like the Stingray tone then brilliant cos you can't fail to hit it with these basses but you're not getting owt else with it. If you're wanting more flexibility the Jazzman won't do you wrong. As has been said, its a little harder to find the tone you want but when you find it you're a happy man :)

Personally I'd choose the Warwick as I need more flexibility and the Ray tone doesn't really fit in with my band. Warwick suits what I need it for and that might not apply to you.