Why become a member? ×

70's Jazz Bass

Shambo

Sorry if you're already onto this listing but it caught my eye. Made around the time I was born and save for the white scratchplate, it looks exactly like the bass I've been trying to replace for the last ten years... and I ain't got the money to bid on it. :rolleyes:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ220554260273QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item335a0eef31"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-Gui...=item335a0eef31[/url]

The seller seems very unsure as to what they're selling, but if it's genuine and in good nick, you'd hope he gets his £300 back. :)

[quote name='Shambo' post='740596' date='Feb 10 2010, 07:56 AM']Sorry if you're already onto this listing but it caught my eye. Made around the time I was born and save for the white scratchplate, it looks exactly like the bass I've been trying to replace for the last ten years... and I ain't got the money to bid on it. :rolleyes:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ220554260273QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item335a0eef31"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-Gui...=item335a0eef31[/url]

The seller seems very unsure as to what they're selling, but if it's genuine and in good nick, you'd hope he gets his £300 back. :)[/quote]

I live about 10 miles away and have e mailed him this morning to ask if I can go over to see it. The serial plate nowadays is all to easy to buy off ebay, could be a newish Mex reissue, although it does superficially look genuine. From those photo's, I would expect to see at least yellowing of the headstock.
If I get to see it my next task would be to convince him to let me loose with a couple of different sized Phillip's!
I will let you know.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='740773' date='Feb 10 2010, 11:09 AM']It's a looker alright, whatever it is.

Wonder if the fleamarket story's true - I go to my local car boot religiously (well, it is on a Sunday morning!) every week, hoping to find something like this for £25!

Jon.[/quote]

A mate of mine did find a 16 channel Studiomaster mixing desk in a wooden case in a bin last year. He gave it to me because I "would know what to do with it". A few hours of Servisol (so many pots!) and it was revived! That's the best "lucky find" I can come up with.

[quote name='thebeat' post='740750' date='Feb 10 2010, 10:51 AM']So even the fleas are finding stuff in their uncles attic now? Mind you, i think it's actually a MIM 70's reissue.[/quote]

Yeah, I though perhaps Mex re issue.
Decent shots of the headstock, front and back, might have helped. Thing is, being altruistic, there is a chance the guy is selling it short.

If I do get to see it (no reply yet) will ask if he minds me taking the neck , control panel off, and taking pictures.

One can but ask, and I've been "nutted" before today!

Karl.

[quote name='Shambo' post='741012' date='Feb 10 2010, 02:10 PM']Don't the Mexican 70's re-issues have a bullet truss rod on the headstock?

I'm squinting at his picture and I can't see one. :)[/quote]

Yeah and I don't think they have thumbrests either, or 4 bolt necks!?
Could be interesting, although the neck looks a bit pasty in the neckplate photo

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='741066' date='Feb 10 2010, 02:37 PM'][quote]QUOTE (Ou7shined @ Feb 10 2010, 12:50 PM)
Actually, not as irrelevant as you might think Dooder. hint

Did they keep the 121mm position?

edit : fixed link[/quote]
Yeah and I don't think they have thumbrests either, or 4 bolt necks!?
Could be interesting, although the neck looks a bit pasty in the neckplate photo

Si
[/quote]
Uh? You've quote me from a different thread. :) :rolleyes:

Hands up who goes to a flea market with £300 in their pocket... now keep your hand up if you would pay that amount for something you know nothing about and were buying to learn on? :)

The bass may or may not be genuine (I can be sure of that as they are the only two options :rolleyes: ) but the 'Flea Market' story surely has to be a load of shyte! :lol:

It`s a bit of a strange one. The 70`s Jazz bass has a bullet truss rod at the head and I can`t see one. The neck binding looks like a 70 reissue neck but the tuners are the vintage/Jap type with the long keys. And the reissue has a blank neck plate as the serial number is on the back of the head.

Bit of a strange one. As was mentioned earlier, if you don`t know anything about guitars, why spend 300 quid on one?

Also would you buy a Jazz from someone who states "Ive checked fender jass bass guitars on e bay".

Jez