Why become a member? ×

70's Jazz Bass

Shambo

[quote name='NickSpector' post='743634' date='Feb 13 2010, 12:47 AM']Someone got f***ed over by that jerk. I emailed him and got no reply. I'd like to punch conmen like this square in the nose for being utter stealing lying twats.[/quote]

Completely agree dude, except I would prefer to use a knee a lot lower on the anatomy.
I emailed him to go view as I live close.
Got no response whatsoever so it really does look dodgy.
I hope this guy gets named in the ebay bit as one to watch.

[quote name='discreet' post='743723' date='Feb 13 2010, 08:59 AM']Know just how you feel guys, but it's [i]caveat emptor[/i]. Especially on eBay.[/quote]
Right! ......errr.....what?

(bet Im not the only non latin fluent bass chat member)

huh huh huh he said "member" huh hhuh ect...............

Edited by witterth

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='745565' date='Feb 15 2010, 09:32 AM']Huh? Surely all that should have been done before you won it.[/quote]

+1

The seller may well be a chancer and the bass could well be a ringer but tbh questions and photographs should have been sorted before the end of the sale. By all accounts the seller hasn't been responding to queries put to them by BCers so I'm surprised that you went ahead and won it, whilst expecting the seller to suddenly come across all gushing with the answers after you have won it. I'm not having a pop at you but it is surprising!

<edit>

It makes me and Mr Ou7shined look rather foolish when someone deletes their post! :)

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='745583' date='Feb 15 2010, 09:54 AM']<snip></snip>
<edit>

It makes me and Mr Ou7shined look rather foolish when someone deletes their post! :)[/quote]
Like I need any extra help in that dept John. :rolleyes:

I wasn't having a pop either Gareth, it was just that your post suggested a degree of nonchalance at the binding contract you have entered into by winning it. I'm sure all your questions will be answered if and when you receive the bass. I hope you don't disappear from this thread entirely as apart from keeping it interesting by having a BCer purchase the bass and post their experience of the deal, you also have the opportunity to either clear the name of a good seller or bust a dodgy one for the benefit of the rest of us.

[quote name='karlfer' post='746472' date='Feb 15 2010, 08:30 PM']Is there a gap in the space/ time continuum?
Has a nano bot chomped some words?
More to the point, have I missed something here? Er. like a post going awol? Has a BC'er won this bass?
What is the air speed velocity of a swallow?
Where is my Sanatogen?[/quote]

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes, yes and yes.
4. [url="http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/"]http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/[/url]
5. Under the sink where it usually is.

:)

[quote name='discreet' post='746489' date='Feb 15 2010, 08:40 PM']1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes, yes and yes.
4. [url="http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/"]http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/[/url]
5. Under the sink where it usually is.

:)[/quote]

1. Thank you.
2. Thank you.
3. Thank you.
4. Brilliant! (hell's bell's was that film really 1975?)
5. Very special thank you. Now partaking.

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='746519' date='Feb 15 2010, 09:00 PM']So what happened? I am confused![/quote]

[quote name='karlfer' post='746590' date='Feb 15 2010, 10:06 PM']That makes at least two of us![/quote]

A BCer was the winning bidder and asked if there was anyone local to the seller that could check out the bass for them... however when said request was deleted it made one or two subsequent postings look rather foolish! :)

Although the seller is probably tearing their hair out, after reading some of the doubting comments in this thread, I don't blame you for taking this stance. I doubt the sellers going to give you any more informationthough, they could have done that in the original listing and drummed themselves up more bidders. Black jazzes of this era with the blocks & bindings seem very rare indeed, I hope it works out and I hope the guitar is real. Please let us know what happens. :)

[quote name='gareth' post='748083' date='Feb 17 2010, 09:48 AM']Sorry to have confused anyone, but I removed my original post following the post below, as I did'nt want to upset anyone:-

[quote]QUOTE (Ou7shined @ Feb 15 2010, 10:32 AM)
Huh? Surely all that should have been done before you won it.[/quote]

Anyway, to clarify, I [b]"won"[/b] the bass and had originally aske if anyone living in the area of the seller would be willing to inspect the bass for me to ensure that it is what it was advertised to be and I offerred a fee for doing this.

In the event I have received this email from the seller:-

hi
thanks for buying my guitar. When will you be paying so I can get it posted out to you.
many thanks

- bigjackjack

to which I have replied:-

thanks for your email

i would prefer to pay by paypal and have the bass posted [b]but in order to do this I need some more photos from you [/b]of the bass so that I can satisfy myself that the bass is genuine and has all the features that would be on a fender bass with a serial number 307018

could you therefore send me more photos to include:-

1. Headstock rear and front
2. Body front and rear
3. Body with pickguard taken off
4. With neck taken off body, neck body cavity, body end of neck.

thanks very much

to date I have not received a reply

hope that this clarifys matters
[/quote]
I can't see how anyone (other than the seller) could have been upset by your original post. :)

I honestly wish you all the best with this and hope you end up with a beaut of a bass but I'm a little worried by what you're saying. Putting the word "won" in parenthesis twice now implies that you view this as a temporary situation - the fact is you have definitely won it. And secondly by submitting a bid to win the bass and winning it you have entered into a binding contract with terms already set in stone - you cant turn around and say that the sale will only go ahead if he supplies pictures - your opportunity to look at pictures has past. You are best to go head and pay up as required by the contract. If you end up being dissatisfied the procedure is - contact the seller, if he's a dodger he won't reply, then go to the dispute process. You are definitely protected by PayPal to a maximum amount - it used to be £500 but it might be different now.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='748210' date='Feb 17 2010, 11:21 AM']Do you think the seller is a BCer? :)[/quote]
I never considered that. Doubt it though.
A few decent snaps and an honest description could have made them a good sale here, or ebay, 'Faker' or not.
If they were a forummmer here they should have realised [b]nothing escapes the collective beady eye of Basschat.[/b] :rolleyes:

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='748217' date='Feb 17 2010, 11:25 AM']You have definitely won it. By submitting a bid to win the bass and winning it you have entered into a binding contract with terms already set in stone - you cant turn around and say that the sale will only go ahead if he supplies pictures - your opportunity to look at pictures has passed.[/quote]

This is true, I'm afraid... for example if you buy a car on eBay 'cash on collection', you don't turn up to kick the tyres and make a decision about it after the auction has ended - you turn up to pay the cash and collect the car.

The only exception would be if the car was significantly not as shown or described in the listing.

The seller did not make specific claims for the authenticity of this bass, unfortunately. And if he wasn't prepared to take it apart and photograph it for the original listing, he certainly is not going to after the listing has ended. Your decision to buy should have been based on the content of the listing when it was active.

Easy to say after the event, I know. But if you don't pay up the seller can legitimately proceed with an 'item not paid for' dispute against you, which eBay will fully support.

I do sympathise, but like I said elsewhere, it's [i]caveat emptor[/i] - let the buyer beware.

The seller seems to have covered his back pretty well in the listing, the only thing he gives is the serial number and he even says it cost him £300

If i were you and i didn't want the bass (it sounds like you are unsure) then i'd bite the bullet and buy it, then if it isn't the bass the serial number makes it out to be file a "significantly not as described" claim on eBay. Then if he doesn't refund open a case in Paypal and then escalate it to a claim. I think you have 40 days to do this? You have to cover postage as well

Even though the seller states no returns Paypal will still refund you if you have been ripped off.
Thing is, does mentioning the serial count as specifying what model/year the bass is? Might be a sticking point if you do buy and return it

Might also be worth getting in touch with Fender to notify them of a fake serial being sold on eBay, might add a bit of weight to a Paypal claim?

Good luck with this one mate

EDIT: Oh and message eBay now about your doubts (if you haven't done so already), again this might add a bit of weight to the claim and they would be less likely to side with the seller

Edited by lemmywinks