Why become a member? ×

350 watt, 2x10 bass combos

HollyDTVGE

I really like the Ampeg BA 500 and annoyingly narrowly missed out on one recently.

I am new to this forum and have only been playing bass (fender precision) for over a year but the band i'm in (a math-pop effort, so not heavy stuff) have started to get support with good touring bands and i want to start looking the sh*t, no more £25 head nonsense.

please can people suggest combos that are 2x10 and are around 350w. i would ideally like a graphic eq as i own a metaphors pedal so would like more manipulation than a three band, i would prefer a tilt type and a balanced xlr is a must. price range i'll go upto around £500 for a second hand. (i've been looking at hartke 2x10, does anyone have an opinion on that)

ta.

[quote name='HollyDTVGE' post='734489' date='Feb 3 2010, 09:00 PM']I really like the Ampeg BA 500 and annoyingly narrowly missed out on one recently.

I am new to this forum and have only been playing bass (fender precision) for over a year but the band i'm in (a math-pop effort, so not heavy stuff) have started to get support with good touring bands and i want to start looking the sh*t, no more £25 head nonsense.

please can people suggest combos that are 2x10 and are around 350w. i would ideally like a graphic eq as i own a metaphors pedal so would like more manipulation than a three band, i would prefer a tilt type and a balanced xlr is a must. price range i'll go upto around £500 for a second hand. (i've been looking at hartke 2x10, does anyone have an opinion on that)

ta.[/quote]
The Eden Metro , is an awsome 210 combo . No graphic , but a 3 band semi parametric .
No tilt back , but the level of the XLR and tone is great .

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SWR-Super-Redhead-Bass-Amp_W0QQitemZ330400288150QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item4ced644d96#ht_1501wt_1165"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SWR-Super-Redhead-Ba...#ht_1501wt_1165[/url]

Possibly the rolls royce of 2x10 combos

It's a classic. The parametric EQ is very powerful. It's doesn;t have a tiltback, but cones wiuth a handy front cover that can be used to tilt the ampo back. HAndy 1U rack psace for tuner, compressor.

the swr looks great, dependant on money etc. thanks. i've looked at eden stuff before but not seen that one due to it's discontinued nature, i'll definately keep my eyes peeled. thanks very much, i'm starting with the specs of the ba500 and going from there so i'm fairly newbie as far as this goes, appreciate any help.

Any reason why you want to go the combo route? If you are getting bigger gigs, a head/cab set up would be far more flexible as you'll find yourself being encouraged to share backline on numerous occasions. Of the 6 or so gigs I've played over the last few months I've used my cab once and on the occasion I did use mine, it wasn't necessary as there was a pretty decent house rig.

Others may disagree, but 2 x 10 combos aren't that common. A quick scout of this forum shows many complete rigs available well within your price bracket, but 2 x10 combos are a lot rarer, mainly because it's a speaker configuration that's not that popular in combo form.

That still wouldn't put me off the SWR Super Redhead as it's a cracking piece of kit. I used to own a Bass 350 head and they sound wonderful. There's no way you could be disappointed with the sound - but you'd probably want to try first.

The SWR Redhead is a sweet amp and amazing value if you can get one imported from the US...HOWEVER, it's a real back breaker. As a studio amp, it hasn't been designed for portability. Not sure you'll be able to land one in the UK for less than £500 unless you find someone virtually giving it away.

I'd suggest the GK RB700 2x10 wedge combo and I admit to a personal bias for these amps. I had the 1x15 version (two of them in fact) and they were fantastic, apart from the weight (which was managable but not for me back at 3am up two flights of stairs). Make sure the wheels aren't buggered (a fault with the spec of the rubber that GK aren't prepared to admit to other than sending out replacement wheels that they can't guarantee won't bugger themselves again).

Alternatively there are offerings from Warwick which are OK but a bit coloured towards Warwick basses and stingrays. The hArtke Hydrive might be worth investigating as well but it looks like you're already aware of them.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='734691' date='Feb 4 2010, 03:13 AM']Any reason why you want to go the combo route? If you are getting bigger gigs, a head/cab set up would be far more flexible as you'll find yourself being encouraged to share backline on numerous occasions. Of the 6 or so gigs I've played over the last few months I've used my cab once and on the occasion I did use mine, it wasn't necessary as there was a pretty decent house rig.

Others may disagree, but 2 x 10 combos aren't that common. A quick scout of this forum shows many complete rigs available well within your price bracket, but 2 x10 combos are a lot rarer, mainly because it's a speaker configuration that's not that popular in combo form.

That still wouldn't put me off the SWR Super Redhead as it's a cracking piece of kit. I used to own a Bass 350 head and they sound wonderful. There's no way you could be disappointed with the sound - but you'd probably want to try first.[/quote]

i've currently got seperates and the only way i'd go that route again is if i could mod it so the head could be transported in the space under the speakers. we have a lot of instrument swapping in our band and so the less we have to carry the better. i did look at general cab plus head option however, i have absolutely no idea about amps so it feels easier to be looking for combo's due to knowing what i want etc from them. if you can suggest an amp for around £300 thats small, and not the ashdown stuff then i'm open to assistance, it's just an area i haven't looked at yet.

Eden XL 2x10 combos crop up from time to time on here and are good value, IMV second hand. Not sure about the Nemesis range myself.

Redheads are great.

The Markbass 210 combo is very good as well...although I haven't used one for uber loud gigs.
At decent volumes the speakers and depth of the cab is good, has tiltback and uses the LM amp. Not a fan of markbass speakers in general but this is a very good light set-up which will amp up to 500watts with an extn cab..

Well worth £600 of second hand money, IMV..and all things considered..I'd use this above the other 'standards' above.

[quote name='Muzz' post='734823' date='Feb 4 2010, 10:19 AM']If the quality, tone and volume of my Roland D-Bass 115 are anything to go by, the Roland 210 version is a belter. And not heavy, either.[/quote]

+1 to that. I have the D-bass 115 and it's been excellent. Relatively light (23kg) with a big, loud tone. Has "modern", "tube" and "clean" presets and lots of other tone-shaping buttons and switches. Rated at 350W and easily survives against 2 guitarists and a drummer. I was considering the extension cab but I've not needed it for any pub gigs.

Steve

The eden `metro` combos are great ,if you can get one second hand,and if you can go the extra quids.Plenty of power,and a truly versatile eq range.Quality gear!!Also ,you can squeeze 500 watts with an add on cab!!As you can see I have one,so am speaking from experience.

good luck!

Edited by jhk

[quote name='solo4652' post='736924' date='Feb 6 2010, 07:50 AM']+1 to that. I have the D-bass 115 and it's been excellent. Relatively light (23kg) with a big, loud tone. Has "modern", "tube" and "clean" presets and lots of other tone-shaping buttons and switches. Rated at 350W and easily survives against 2 guitarists and a drummer. I was considering the extension cab but I've not needed it for any pub gigs.

Steve[/quote]

£300 ex-demonstration/shop soiled. Total bargain:

[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/BassGuitarAmps/pid15791/cid561/ExdemoRolandDBass115BassAmp.asp"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/BassGuitarAmps/...s115BassAmp.asp[/url]

I'd suggest a GK700rb-ii/210, can be picked up new for around £800 so I'm sure that there'll be some about 2nd hand under £500.

I'd seriously look into getting a head too. If you're touring with other bands and they use cabs (which a lot of touring bands will) then maybe you could buy a head for your full budget and use their speakers which will give you more options than having to buy the speakers too. Or you can rent a cab if you're not gigging much for a few gigs then sort one out later on when you have more dosh to spend.

[quote name='HollyDTVGE' post='734489' date='Feb 3 2010, 09:00 PM']I really like the Ampeg BA 500 and annoyingly narrowly missed out on one recently.

ta.[/quote]
Ashdown ABM 300 or 500 2X10 combo works for me.

[quote name='solo4652' post='736924' date='Feb 6 2010, 07:50 AM']+1 to that. I have the D-bass 115 and it's been excellent. Relatively light (23kg) with a big, loud tone. Has "modern", "tube" and "clean" presets and lots of other tone-shaping buttons and switches. Rated at 350W and easily survives against 2 guitarists and a drummer. I was considering the extension cab but I've not needed it for any pub gigs.

Steve[/quote]

I've got the 115X extension cab as well, and I can't imagine really needing more volume - it's 660w of controlled fun, and it'll swamp any drummer. It's really useful to be able to use it as a full-range cab or a sub, too. As you say, great range of sounds, from uber-clean to a nice warm valvey tone. And it splits into 2 x 50lb(ish) boxes - can't ask for much more than that, really...

They just seem to be strangely unfashionable. Dunno why...

M

[quote name='voodoobassman' post='740112' date='Feb 9 2010, 04:23 PM']Ashdown ABM 300 or 500 2X10 combo works for me.[/quote]

+ for ABM 210. I had a cheaper 210 Mag (300w) that was pretty good too, and damn loud considering - but only 5 band eq on that tho. The abm is much better tonewise.

I had an Amped BA500 for a little while - it developed an intermittent fault which sounded like a dry solder joint leading to signal degradation and noise. When it worked, it sounded great... but extremely heavy and difficult to move because of the shape of the thing. The tilt back made it hard to push around and it was pretty deep.

ped

yeah, after much thinking and hours of looking at diabolically large amps i reckon i'm going to go for a mini amp and cab seperates and sort out storing the head inside the cab for touring etc. so now i'm looking at valve heads possibly. hmmm.

thank you very much for the help though. i saw a previous thread on here about small amps so i'm going to scope that one out and do further research. god damn, i am so sick of looking at ebay.

I think separates are the best idea really, though I do like having everything in 'one box' if possible! I wanted to ask what you mean by storing the amp in the cab for touring? If you mean making a 'slot' for the amp to slide into then you may well compromise the sound of the otherwise sealed cabinet (or designed with specifically sized ports).

ped

not too worried about that, i'm currently sewing pedal board cases for 2 friends and i made my own wooden pedal board with lid so i'm careful in terms of that, it'd be more so the unit as a whole would take up less space and would depend on what i got, for example i'd make small runners for the amp to fit in inside the cab if there was room. still lots to figure out.