Why become a member? ×

When Leo Fender met a Basschat Legend

wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='720512' date='Jan 21 2010, 08:43 PM'][/quote]
Sorry, no caption from me... just a question for Howard, given that he's told me the story behind this picture. Is that your Stingray in the picture, Howard? Just wondering if you took it all the way over to Fullerton so Leo could fiddle with it.

[quote name='Sean' post='720772' date='Jan 22 2010, 08:10 AM']FFS the man invented, amongst other things, the Precision, Jazz, Stingray, Telecaster and Stratocaster! I'm sure he had a damn good reason for needing that many.

And how do you know that they are[i] all [/i] pens? There could be a 0.5mm propelling pencil, a 0.7mm propelling pencil, a pen torch, one of those novelty sliding bikini pens where the bikini slides away to reveal a naked lady and a pen-style terminal screwdriver. :)[/quote]

Yes, but why were 4 of them clipped outside his shirt and one left loose inside?

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='721045' date='Jan 22 2010, 12:18 PM']Nope BE, mine was a sunburst - you know the colour that just seems to.....go away.

Sad thing is, it was stolen about a year later so I no longer have the 'ticket' that got me to meet the man.[/quote]
Sad indeed. I bet you would never have willingly parted company with it. One of the first in the UK, IIRC?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='720512' date='Jan 21 2010, 08:43 PM']This has been posted on here before, but I think it deserves it's own thread.

One of these chaps is a font of knowledge on all things Fender. The other is called Leo.

Oh, aye.. forgot to mention that one of them is one of BC's own. :)

[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
..."Leo! do you know... This Stingrays hurting my wrist?".. ..."You hum it son... and i'll Play it!".

"So you say in 40 years time you'll be able to buy one just like this, endorsed by a top bass player and for the price of a tank of gas? You Geordies do have a good sence of humor. Can you get me Eric Burdon's autograph?"

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Sean' post='720772' date='Jan 22 2010, 08:10 AM']FFS the man invented the Precision, Jazz, Stingray, Telecaster and Stratocaster! I'm sure he had a damn good reason for needing that many.[/quote]

That's the answer! He's carrying his P-pen, J-pen, Ray-pen, Tele-pen and Strat-pen! They are probably worth more than the guitars themselves now!

"The pen that launched a million...." etc, etc.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='721172' date='Jan 22 2010, 01:50 PM']Anyone ever wondered about what could've been different if Leo Fender had learned to play? It's always seemed remarkable to me that a non-player could get so much right when it came to instruments.

Unless it's all a myth, of course, and he had chops like Hendrix/Pastorius.[/quote]

Bit of a lucky escape IMHO

[quote name='OldGit' post='721213' date='Jan 22 2010, 02:21 PM']Bit of a lucky escape IMHO
[/quote]
Well, I don't know who decided that the Les Paul Bass was a good idea, but the original Les Paul guitar was designed by Ted McCarty (in collaboration with, and endorsed by, Les Paul). Ted McCarty... wait for it... didn't play guitar either.

Maybe there's something to it? Some sort of objectivity that comes from approaching the situation purely as an engineer.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='721225' date='Jan 22 2010, 02:30 PM']Well, I don't know who decided that the Les Paul Bass was a good idea, but the original Les Paul guitar was designed by Ted McCarty (in collaboration with, and endorsed by, Les Paul). Ted McCarty... wait for it... didn't play guitar either.

Maybe there's something to it? Some sort of objectivity that comes from approaching the situation purely as an engineer.[/quote]

So which famous ground breaking planks were designed by players?

[quote name='OldGit' post='721240' date='Jan 22 2010, 02:37 PM']So which famous ground breaking planks were designed by players?[/quote]
Well, what [i]are[/i] the famous ground-breaking planks?

Tele
Strat
Les Paul
Precision
Jazz
Stingray

All designed by non-players. And 5 out of 6 by Leo Fender. Hats off to him. Even such popular horrors as the Flying V and Explorer were designed by Ted McCarty. And the Gibson Thunderbird, IIRC, was designed by a car designer (dunno if he played too, though).

So, yeah: which famous ground breaking planks [i]were[/i] designed by players?

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='721250' date='Jan 22 2010, 02:46 PM']Well, what [i]are[/i] the famous ground-breaking planks?

Tele
Strat
Les Paul
Precision
Jazz
Stingray

All designed by non-players. And 5 out of 6 by Leo Fender. Hats off to him. Even such popular horrors as the Flying V and Explorer were designed by Ted McCarty. And the Gibson Thunderbird, IIRC, was designed by a car designer (dunno if he played too, though).

So, yeah: which famous ground breaking planks [i]were[/i] designed by players?[/quote]

And the Steinberger but again designed by a non-player.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='720512' date='Jan 21 2010, 08:43 PM']This has been posted on here before, but I think it deserves it's own thread.

One of these chaps is a font of knowledge on all things Fender. The other is called Leo.

Oh, aye.. forgot to mention that one of them is one of BC's own. :)

[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
..."Of Course You Can Join Us!......You're My Wife Nowww!"

[quote name='Huwberry' post='721314' date='Jan 22 2010, 03:35 PM']I have no idea who designed them, so I thought I'd ask - anything by Rickenbacker?[/quote]
Good question. A quick Google-hunt says Roger Rossmeisl designed the 4000 (and quite a few other Rics too), and I'm pretty sure he [i]was[/i] a player. Could be wrong though.

(Apologies for this huge thread-hijacking tangent we're drifting off on here...)