Why become a member? ×

Changing strap lenght on the go

davidmpires

Hi guys

This may sound a bit odd. It does for me.
Last Monday me and the band we learning new heavy rock songs, and I’ve noticed that I like to play them with the bass a lot lower than the usual. (by the knees some would say)
Anyway so I thought about using the lower button hole in my strap when I’m playing rock stuff and I can “rock out” and move it up when I’m playing stuff that’s more technically challenging.

Do you change the strap length during gigs or am I just being silly?

Thanks

David

Opinion has it that, for optimal technical delivery, one should hang the bass to match the position it occupies when you're sitting practising. Problem with low slinging - back issues for the elderly apart - is the fretting hand wrist angle; too narrow and - whoops! - here comes the ol' carpal tunnel syndrome.

Given that Gibson have come up with robot tuners, I'm sure the same principle could be applied to strap buttons. Flick a switch and - Hey Presto! - the bass whirrs downwards eighteen inches and assumes the 'cool' position. Cue audience sensation, beautiful women fainting, etc.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='718850' date='Jan 20 2010, 11:51 AM']Opinion has it that, for optimal technical delivery, one should hang the bass to match the position it occupies when you're sitting practising. Problem with low slinging - back issues for the elderly apart - is the fretting hand wrist angle; too narrow and - whoops! - here comes the ol' carpal tunnel syndrome.

Given that Gibson have come up with robot tuners, I'm sure the same principle could be applied to strap buttons. Flick a switch and - Hey Presto! - the bass whirrs downwards eighteen inches and assumes the 'cool' position. Cue audience sensation, beautiful women fainting, etc.[/quote]
you say that, but playing sitting down quite often hurts my right wrist/arm because of the way it bends, and it's especially uncomfortable for me to play at that height standing up. I wear mine around my crotch area, not too high, not too low. Sorted.

Edited by budget bassist

I change strap length when changing between fingerstyle and plectrum. I also use two strap locks on some straps/basses and just quickly adjust the strap on others. Done it for years. It just makes it a lot for comfortable to play the plectrum stuff (3 or 4 songs per 30 song gig) with the bass about 4 inches lower.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='718850' date='Jan 20 2010, 11:51 AM']Opinion has it that, for optimal technical delivery, one should hang the bass to match the position it occupies when you're sitting practising. Problem with low slinging - back issues for the elderly apart - is the fretting hand wrist angle; too narrow and - whoops! - here comes the ol' carpal tunnel syndrome.[/quote]

Well, I'd say it's only a real problem if your bass suffers from neck dive, as you're then working even harder against the bass via your wrist and shoulder. Aside from that, I've been playing low slung for 20 years and have never had carpal problems, etc.. 'Optimal technical delivery' is probably something that only exists in the mind of the... er... beholder, as far as where your bass hangs :)

[quote name='peted' post='718878' date='Jan 20 2010, 12:18 PM']Over years my bass has slowly migrated from dangling down by my knees to just below my rib-cage. That's been over the space of years, can't say there's any movement during any single gig![/quote]

That'll serve you right for washing and tumble drying the strap after each gig :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='718850' date='Jan 20 2010, 11:51 AM']Opinion has it that, for optimal technical delivery, one should hang the bass to match the position it occupies when you're sitting practising. Problem with low slinging - back issues for the elderly apart - is the fretting hand wrist angle; too narrow and - whoops! - here comes the ol' carpal tunnel syndrome.

Given that Gibson have come up with robot tuners, I'm sure the same principle could be applied to strap buttons. Flick a switch and - Hey Presto! - the bass whirrs downwards eighteen inches and assumes the 'cool' position. Cue audience sensation, beautiful women fainting, etc.[/quote]

I totally go with having the bass at the same height standing as sitting. As soon as you change the height of the bass,the angle
of your hand position changes,and brings a whole new variable that,I think,is unnecessary.

As far as a 'robot' style strap length changer- Bass Player magazine did an small 'article' on one as an April fool's joke a few
years ago.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='718850' date='Jan 20 2010, 11:51 AM']Opinion has it that, for optimal technical delivery, one should hang the bass to match the position it occupies when you're sitting practising.[/quote]
Can someone please explain to me how this is achieved? Doesn't this mean that the lowest point of the body of your bass must rest on or above the hips, so it can hang in the same place regardless of sitting or standing? Or do you practise on a bar-stool with legs forming an angle greater than 90 degrees with the body?

Maybe I've just got an extremely short body, but I'm pretty sure that if the bottom of any of my basses was above my hips, the top horn would be choking me. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='719141' date='Jan 20 2010, 03:41 PM']Can someone please explain to me how this is achieved? Doesn't this mean that the lowest point of the body of your bass must rest on or above the hips, so it can hang in the same place regardless of sitting or standing? Or do you practise on a bar-stool with legs forming an angle greater than 90 degrees with the body?

Maybe I've just got an extremely short body, but I'm pretty sure that if the bottom of any of my basses was above my hips, the top horn would be choking me. :)[/quote]

What I do with my basses,is when I'm sitting practising I adjust the strap so that it is taught but without lifting the
bass of my leg. Then when I stand,the bass won't move and everything remains the same. There isn't a specific height-it depends
on the physical size of the instrument,and how it lies whilst sitting.
I generally sit on a bar stool when I'm practising.

[quote name='Doddy' post='719151' date='Jan 20 2010, 03:50 PM']What I do with my basses,is when I'm sitting practising I adjust the strap so that it is taught but without lifting the
bass of my leg. Then when I stand,the bass won't move and everything remains the same.[/quote]
Ah, of course. That's the most obvious thing I've never twigged for myself. Gonna try that tonight*.

<slinks off feeling stupid> :)

[size=1]* If I don't log on here for a few days, I'll be in hospital recovering after shattering my larynx with the top horn.[/size]

I go between finger style and plectrums but I always keep at the same length. I used to play down by my knees back when I was cool but these days it sits slightly lower than if I were sitting down. I'd have no issues changing mid set, you do what you have to do. Whatever works.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='719128' date='Jan 20 2010, 03:28 PM']I'm 6 ft 3 so I can't really get my strap much lower than waist height. Anyway, sitting down and playing I actually find uncomfortable sometimes, but I always practise standing anyway.[/quote]

You can. I'm 6'3" & you can buy extra long straps. However if you develop back problems in later life I've never heard of you! :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='719141' date='Jan 20 2010, 03:41 PM']Can someone please explain to me how this is achieved? Doesn't this mean that the lowest point of the body of your bass must rest on or above the hips, so it can hang in the same place regardless of sitting or standing? Or do you practise on a bar-stool with legs forming an angle greater than 90 degrees with the body?

Maybe I've just got an extremely short body, but I'm pretty sure that if the bottom of any of my basses was above my hips, the top horn would be choking me. :)[/quote]

If you are sitting rest the bass on your right leg ( for righthanders ) close to your body. Put your strap on so that the bass is held just above where it would be with no strap. Stand up - play . Done.

Always been OK for me- for 30 yrs anyway.

Bob

[quote name='gafbass02' post='719078' date='Jan 20 2010, 02:53 PM']no not just you, ive always done this. i use cheapo web straps with a slidey buckle so i can change really quick with one hand.[/quote]

Me too. Although, I used to make the strap as long as it would go and leave it, but back then I always payed with a pick and only simple stuff. When I play with my finger I need the body higher.

Recently, I just tend to leave the strap sort of in between and just use my fingers.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='718850' date='Jan 20 2010, 11:51 AM']Opinion has it that, for optimal technical delivery, one should hang the bass to match the position it occupies when you're sitting......[/quote]

That'll be sat in its stand then. :)

Maybe I'm a bit odd, but I switch between 3 different strap lengths... I have a Levis leather strap, one of those two piece ones that you thread through itself to make it short or stupidly long. I have mine on the shortest setting and have two extra holes cut in so it can go even shorter. I have it low (hip height) for picks, uber high for slap and technical stuff (chest height) and in the middle for everyday funky finger. Band mates used to take the piss, but quite a few have started to see the light and play up high now :)

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='719389' date='Jan 20 2010, 06:21 PM']Band mates used to take the piss, but quite a few have started to see the light and play up high now :)[/quote]

We assume that unless you're in a multi-bass band, these are guiturds you're referring to?
Poke 'em in their cretinous eye and send them slithering to the bar to buy you a beer while you single-handedly carry the whole set on your broad, muscular bassplaying shoulders.