Why become a member? ×

Bergantino vs Schroeder Cabs

Nfes64

After doing some searching and not coming up with anything, I wanted to ask those who have heard both on their opinions:

How does something like a Schroeder 1212L (or the new BMF version) compare to a Bergantino AE210, both sound wise and in terms of volume?

The AE210 is £100 more brand new in the UK, but the shop that stocks their gear is just down the road so I'll be able to try them out, whereas it would have to be a blind purchase on the Schroeder. I'm leaning towards the Schroeder at the minute, simply because its cheaper, and from what I read its more efficient.

I'll be playing through a Little Mark III, finger style mostly, on a passive '08 Am Standard P-Bass, in small to medium sized indoor venues (tops 200 people).

Many thanks!

I thought the decision will be tough. Anyone know of a place to test the Schroeder in the UK? I live in Warwickshire, close to bassdirect, so i'll check out the Bergantino range soon. How big is that midbass hump on the Schroeders? Just not sure a single AE210 will be enough for the venues...

Interestingly, the guys who own and play Berg recommend Berg. Those who own and play Schoeder, recommend Schroeder!

Which came first? Do you buy a certain manufacturer's gear because you like it, or do you like it because you own it and get used to its sound? Is such a comparison ever entirely objective I wonder?

Then again - ignore me because I own neither!!! I speak purely as an interested by-stander (aka nosey git!!).

[quote name='Conan' post='715881' date='Jan 17 2010, 06:49 PM']Interestingly, the guys who own and play Berg recommend Berg. Those who own and play Schoeder, recommend Schroeder!

Which came first? Do you buy a certain manufacturer's gear because you like it, or do you like it because you own it and get used to its sound? Is such a comparison ever entirely objective I wonder?

Then again - ignore me because I own neither!!! I speak purely as an interested by-stander (aka nosey git!!).[/quote]

I got my Schroeder because it was a good price and I wanted to see what the fuss was about. As it happened it fitted perfectly in the boot of my car and with a slight EQ change sounded exactly like I want it to. I got my "tone" and more volume from a cab that was half the size and weight of the old one :)

If you play in a loud band and want a single cab solution then the Schroeder should be on the must try list. I have no experience of the Berg but my 1212r has done big stages (Empress Ballroom in Blackpool) with a LMII and has never been lacking in output. For a cab of that size it puts out silly amounts of volume

They do have a mid hump but that's something i like. I look at it as a cab that sounds great and can put out a ton of low-mids if you tell it to. With an Auralex platform it's even more articulate

I don't think it's lacking in any other areas, it just seems really good for ballsy loud bass playing

I guss the only way is to borrow both for a couple of gigs and see which one you prefer

[quote name='Musicman20' post='715831' date='Jan 17 2010, 05:53 PM']Sk8 will be along soon to help!

Basically, Berg all the way, without a doubt.[/quote]Yeah, Berg all the way :) Using one AE210 with my LM3 gives me much more usable sound than the Shuttle 3.0 driving a Neox 212. in theory the same watts are at play but the Berg is super efficient. Plus i've never heard of Berg having quality issues unlike Schroeder

Schroeder cabs are loud and have their mid hump, which lets your bass cut through the mix, but because of this design they are bass shy.

As they are closest, I suggest you go to Bass Direct and try the Bergantino cabs. Worry about the others later. Any other plans may evaporate pretty quickly!!

Based on what everyone owning Berg or Scroeder have said here i would go to the nearest shop and try those Bergantino.
If you want more midrange than you hear from the bergantinos,don't buy them yet.
I kind of envy you guys with those well sorted stores.
You are way better off than us here in Sweden i can tell you.

[quote name='chris_b' post='716051' date='Jan 17 2010, 09:54 PM']Schroeder cabs are loud and have their mid hump, which lets your bass cut through the mix, but because of this design they are bass shy.

As they are closest, I suggest you go to Bass Direct and try the Bergantino cabs. Worry about the others later. Any other plans may evaporate pretty quickly!![/quote]Yeah, Marks a good un. I walked out with Berg and LM3. went in to buy neither!

[quote name='chris_b' post='716051' date='Jan 17 2010, 09:54 PM']Schroeder cabs are loud and have their mid hump, which lets your bass cut through the mix, [b]but because of this design they are bass shy.[/b][/quote]

You hear this quite a lot about Schroeder cabs but it's not true. Usually people assume because they pump out a lot of low-mids that they are lacking in the bass, not so. There's loads of clean bass on tap, plus a ton of mids if you want them

Everyone who has heard/played through my rig comments on the amount of low-end coming out of such a small box

Like WoT I've owned and played through both Schroeder and Berg.

Personally, I really liked the sound and tone of my basses through Schroeders. They are small, light, loud, cut through almost anything, clean sound with a clean amp. Slightly more aggressive sounding than the average cab, which I liked. I switched to Berg because I wanted something with a more extended frequency range, and super portable. The Berg IP112 is designed to do both. It has a thicker, more solid bottom end than the Schroeder and fills a room very evenly.

Try them both out, as they really are quite different cabs. The Schroeder's have quite a unique character to them - if you like them then a Berg won't quite get that sound. If you prefer the Berg sound, you'll struggle to get that out of a Schroeder without radical eqing.

This is deja vous. I went through the same process last year. Like yourself found it difficult to make a decision. your playing style and venue size would reflect my siyuation. i ended up at Bass Direct and Berg became an obvious choice. Using the LM3 through this cab is just stunning. Live it is without question the cab that cuts through the mix and carries brilliantly. In truth i never got around to trying the Schroeder cabs, but i don't care any more!. other benifits would be local distributor, so face to face dealings, build quality and just makes you sound amazing.

Even with the bigger Schroeders - which are supposed to sound wider than the small boxes - I never really got any 'real' bottom from my 410L or 21012L. It worked for some situations, but I missed the supporting bottom end. At the time, I was doing a lot of gigs with various decent cabs provided by the promoters, and I realised I was missing something fundamental (if you excuse the pun).

As soon as I tried the Bergs, there it was... a 3D quality to each note that I'd been pining for all that time.

If you're cutting through dense mix, I think the Schro's would be worth trying. If you've got room to breathe (or even not!) I think the Bergs might be more up your alley.

Bergantino - reassuringly expensive.

...so buy used.

:)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='716369' date='Jan 18 2010, 09:59 AM']Even with the bigger Schroeders - which are supposed to sound wider than the small boxes - I never really got any 'real' bottom from my 410L or 21012L. It worked for some situations, but I missed the supporting bottom end. At the time, I was doing a lot of gigs with various decent cabs provided by the promoters, and I realised I was missing something fundamental (if you excuse the pun).

As soon as I tried the Bergs, there it was... a 3D quality to each note that I'd been pining for all that time.

If you're cutting through dense mix, I think the Schro's would be worth trying. If you've got room to breathe (or even not!) I think the Bergs might be more up your alley.

Bergantino - reassuringly expensive.

...so buy used.

:)[/quote]

+1....if you can buy used, do. Usually the owners will be very careful with them cabs due to the cost of them!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='716456' date='Jan 18 2010, 11:51 AM']+1....if you can buy used, do. Usually the owners will be very careful with them cabs due to the cost of them![/quote]

+1 I dont think I've ever looked after a bit of gear like I look after my Berg and Roscoe, its got to the point where I endure "gentle ribbing" from the band over how protective I am :)