Why become a member? ×

Defretting a Wal - Sacrilege or sense?

bassatnight

Folks,

I have been offered my dream bass, a lovely custom Wal from a decent chap on here.

I am really after a fretless Wal and due to their rarity and vastly inflated prices as new (£5k!) I was wondering about getting a decent pro Luthier to de-fret the neck and turn it into a lined fretless possibly even getting Electric wood to do it.

Am I mad? should I just keep waiting for a fretless? am I stealing a decent fretted from the world?

Thoughts?

Steve.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='715625' date='Jan 17 2010, 01:54 PM']Folks,

I have been offered my dream bass, a lovely custom Wal from a decent chap on here.

I am really after a fretless Wal and due to their rarity and vastly inflated prices as new (£5k!) I was wondering about getting a decent pro Luthier to de-fret the neck and turn it into a lined fretless possibly even getting Electric wood to do it.

Am I mad? should I just keep waiting for a fretless? am I stealing a decent fretted from the world?

Thoughts?

Steve.[/quote]

Steve,

I had my green WAL MK II 5 turned into a lined fretless and since I've never looked back - it smokes! However, I also own another MK II 5 fretted, so, no loss here soundwise.
Just do it.

tc
Oliver

The issue really is fingerboard - fretted Wals are usually rosewood, fretless (from Customs onwards) are usually ebony. If the ebony whine is your goal then a rosewood board probably won't get you there. Having said that - the Pro basses were generally all rosewood or a variant ("parrot-sh*t" was one!).

[quote name='bassatnight' post='715625' date='Jan 17 2010, 12:54 PM']Folks,

Thoughts?

Steve.[/quote]

Speak to Paul (at Wal) about this as the woods are an important feature to the fretless sound. He's your best starting point

Cheers Chris, what a great community this is.

I have mailed Wal for a quote as ideally I would like a lined neck.

Thanks everyone!

Steve.[quote name='Beedster' post='715759' date='Jan 17 2010, 04:19 PM']PS, FWIW, if that neck's gone or not to your liking, I'd get a neck made rather than defret the original.

Chris[/quote]

[quote name='bassatnight' post='715839' date='Jan 17 2010, 06:02 PM']Cheers Chris, what a great community this is.

I have mailed Wal for a quote as ideally I would like a lined neck.

Thanks everyone!

Steve.[/quote]

Steve,

I know just how busy Paul Herman at Wal is and you're probably better off calling than emailing.

Phil

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='716217' date='Jan 18 2010, 12:00 AM']Depending on the model you might be getting (a MK1 I think), Paul may have some old necks in the workshop so it's definitely worth calling him..[/quote]

Having spent some time at the workshop in question, that's a bloody good idea

Chris

[quote name='bassatnight' post='715625' date='Jan 17 2010, 12:54 PM']Folks,

Thoughts?

Steve.[/quote]

you are putting too much emphasis on labels and badging
if you get it done correctly by joe bloggs...who's to know it wasnt electric wood...

got to be real, here

I had electric wood swap the neck on my wal custom as mine was fretted & i wanted a plain fretless, they did an exchange as pete said my original neck was good & could be refurbished,
the cost was £250 exchanged or £450 just to buy the fretless neck but that was in 1994 i think

hi all,i phoned paul regarding him making me a lined fretless neck for my wal 5,seems a very nice fella.i mailed him some pics of the bass and he said he'd get back to us with a more accurate price and a rough date as to when he could fit me in.guess the guy must be very busy cos i never got a reply.must have been a good 6 weeks ago now.anat