Why become a member? ×

A new year of bass playing!

OutToPlayJazz

I've just finished five weeks' worth of professional pantomime at the Sheffield Lyceum theatre & it's suddenly dawned on me that the daily 120 mile round trip to Sheffield I've been doing since forever & perpetual life in a dark orchestra pit is now at an end and I'm going back to my old life tomorrow morning, instrumental teaching in schools as well as my other professional playing commitments. It's a sort of weird feeling, as I've been doing nothing else but getting up and going to the theatre & coming back to sleep for the last few weeks. (Weather permitting!)

The panto was excellent & although Toyah Willcox was the big name, Damian Williams (the new guy on "Are you smarter than a ten year old?") kept us on our toes and laughing our heads off for the whole run as the dame, "Nurse Nellie." The whole crew from Sheffield Theatres and Evolution productions were excellent, apart from the constant problems we had with the sound engineers, but that's to be expected when you put your sound into the hands of incompetent morons, I suppose.

The playing new year is looking rosy with a lot of shows in the diary, sixty big band jobs leading to a tv series already booked & a repeat booking for the same band on next year's production at the Lyceum, Peter Pan.

Has anyone else got an exciting bass-playing year coming up?

Rich.

That's hard to top!

We turned down playing the US at SXSW as it would have cost us too much and we wouldn't have recouped the loss. However the band starts gigging again in 2wks having been on hold for 2 months due to my chemo. We have a few gigs lined up across England and the plan is for a couple of short tours of places like Scotland. We're recording our second album and working towards making SXSW possible for 2011. I also want to develop my playing a bit this year. I'm really positive about 2010. Should be a good 'un

I've got a few gigs with the big band already in the book ([url="http://www.swingshiftbigband.co.uk/the-full-gig-list.htm"]http://www.swingshiftbigband.co.uk/the-full-gig-list.htm[/url]) and hopefully a couple of shows this year too, including the Hot Mikado (which I believe is great to play). There will no doubt be a few other gigs here and there and if all goes to plan a recording session too - bring it on...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='708201' date='Jan 10 2010, 09:09 PM']I've just finished five weeks' worth of professional pantomime at the Sheffield Lyceum theatre & it's suddenly dawned on me that the daily 120 mile round trip to Sheffield I've been doing since forever & perpetual life in a dark orchestra pit is now at an end and I'm going back to my old life tomorrow morning, instrumental teaching in schools as well as my other professional playing commitments. It's a sort of weird feeling, as I've been doing nothing else but getting up and going to the theatre & coming back to sleep for the last few weeks. (Weather permitting!)

The panto was excellent & although Toyah Willcox was the big name, Damian Williams (the new guy on "Are you smarter than a ten year old?") kept us on our toes and laughing our heads off for the whole run as the dame, "Nurse Nellie." The whole crew from Sheffield Theatres and Evolution productions were excellent, apart from the constant problems we had with the sound engineers, but that's to be expected when you put your sound into the hands of incompetent morons, I suppose.

The playing new year is looking rosy with a lot of shows in the diary, sixty big band jobs leading to a tv series already booked & a repeat booking for the same band on next year's production at the Lyceum, Peter Pan.

Rich.[/quote]

Stop boasting :)

[quote name='blamelouis' post='709249' date='Jan 11 2010, 07:53 PM']Stop boasting :rolleyes:[/quote]

I'm not - Just sharing my good fortune and wondering what work the other players on here have lined up. It always seems to me that we spend far too much time talking about the gear and not about what we actually do with it. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='708201' date='Jan 10 2010, 10:09 PM']I've just finished five weeks' worth of professional pantomime at the Sheffield Lyceum theatre & it's suddenly dawned on me that the daily 120 mile round trip to Sheffield I've been doing since forever & perpetual life in a dark orchestra pit is now at an end and I'm going back to my old life tomorrow morning, instrumental teaching in schools as well as my other professional playing commitments. It's a sort of weird feeling, as I've been doing nothing else but getting up and going to the theatre & coming back to sleep for the last few weeks. (Weather permitting!)

Rich.[/quote]

Back as house bass after standing aside for someone else who it seems is always too busy to go to the venue, Got a couple of rehearsals this week and next week in the studio to do a six track demo for one of the bands. Apart from that, looking forward to a couple of slices of pate' on toast in about 10 minutes. So, pretty much the same as you. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='708201' date='Jan 10 2010, 09:09 PM']I've just finished five weeks' worth of professional pantomime at the Sheffield Lyceum theatre & it's suddenly dawned on me that the daily 120 mile round trip to Sheffield I've been doing since forever & perpetual life in a dark orchestra pit is now at an end and I'm going back to my old life tomorrow morning, instrumental teaching in schools as well as my other professional playing commitments. It's a sort of weird feeling, as I've been doing nothing else but getting up and going to the theatre & coming back to sleep for the last few weeks. (Weather permitting!)

Rich.[/quote]

Allo Brother!

I'm in a very similar position to ye, having just completed five weeks of Dick (Whittington!) with Patric Kearns as Sarah the Cook (who as you know is good mates with Damian)! Luckily, my theatre is only 2 miles from my gaff. Just been asked to play some sessions with Murray Hockridge (son of the late great Edmund Hockridge) on fretless and eub - he's currently working with Pink Floyd sideman Dave Kilminster so hoping this might lead onto some more work - its all about networking! Hopefully got a production of Footloose coming up in Feb and some rock work with two bands.

ATVB!

Nick (didst thou getteth mineth pm-eth?!!)

Looks like I have a busy year ahead- my band soul patrol www.soulpatrol.org.uk has already two monthly residencies and it looks as though we have another two, one once a month, one 3 weeks a month!! As well as the many functions we have already booked!

Initially I only wanted to play twice per month!

I am trying to get the band to include more funky songs- shake everything you`ve got- Maceo- Brick House- One nation under a groove etc as I get bored easily.

Quite getting into my new bass, Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5 string- I think I prefer it to my Warwick.

Bob

Weddings are shaping up nicely this year with a full Summer Diary. New project going live very soon that will be touring the UK theatres and Corporate/Functions,more to come nearer the time...;o)

Working with [url="http://www.craigblundell.net/"]Craig Blundell[/url] also this year. In the process of moving the Studio around so that the control room goes and I have a live area big enough for the whole band to rehearse and record in one room.

Hopefully working on a Soundtrack soonish and pushing for some published material later this year....... So all in all a pretty good start to 2010!!!!

Nothing spectacular planned. A year of consolidation for my covers band Delirium, with hopefully a couple of our original numbers thrown in, hopefully do a couple of bike rallies/festivals etc. Maybe a couple of reunion gigs for one of my old bands, all hush hush at the moment. I'll probably do a couple of last minute, seat-of-the-pants dep gigs as usual!

Rich.[/quote]

Rich,

I went to see the Panto last Friday. I went with a few friends as one works for Sheffield Theatres we all got free tickets and went to the after show party.

I commented several times during the show that I thought the bass player was excellent and so did my friends, so congrats!!
Damian Williams is hilarious! Was nice to see Bobby Knut too, he did the 1st panto I saw when I about 4or5!

As for my musical new year, my main band is finally getting good supporting acts in the local area in really good venues and we're getting paid, releasing our own album and appearing on a New Order Tribute CD. 2nd band just got together for a jam last night (just me and a drummer) and it went really well, even had someone from the practice room down the hall way come in and comment on the bass sound I was getting :)

[quote name='Mecklenburg' post='709860' date='Jan 12 2010, 01:10 PM']Rich,

I went to see the Panto last Friday. I went with a few friends as one works for Sheffield Theatres we all got free tickets and went to the after show party.

I commented several times during the show that I thought the bass player was excellent and so did my friends, so congrats!!
Damian Williams is hilarious! Was nice to see Bobby Knut too, he did the 1st panto I saw when I about 4or5!

As for my musical new year, my main band is finally getting good supporting acts in the local area in really good venues and we're getting paid, releasing our own album and appearing on a New Order Tribute CD. 2nd band just got together for a jam last night (just me and a drummer) and it went really well, even had someone from the practice room down the hall way come in and comment on the bass sound I was getting :)[/quote]

Thanks for the good press, mate! I did wonder if any basschatters would be popping in at all during the run. I didn't go to Crucible Corner afterwards on the Friday, but a couple of the band dropped in. Glad you enjoyed it, anyway. :rolleyes:

Yes, Damian is a diamond. He's very Tommy Cooper-esque in a lot of ways. He certainly had us laughing to the point of tears on a few occasions. He's a great visual comedian. I think he has a great entertainment future as well as his current tv series on Sky1.

Rich.

After getting started last year (joining my first band) and a rather light workload of 4 gigs and 3 recorded tracks, I'm looking forward to a slightly heavier schedule, would be nice to get into double figures for the gig count :)

Edited by neepheid