Why become a member? ×

what tune/band that got you into bass ?

phil.i.stein

[quote name='garethox' post='707944' date='Jan 10 2010, 06:05 PM']A band I was in supported The Quireboys in the early 90's.... don't remember much apart from a very rock'n'roll attitude, Spike's voice and their drummer - he had a three piece kit and he was amazing! Jimijimmi on the forum was bassist for them until recently... we worked out that he wasn't even born when I played on the same bill as them - how to feel old very, very suddenly![/quote]

What band were you in back then? I got to back Tyla from Dogs D'Amour which I guess is the other side of the same coin

No album/song or band got me into playing bass. I just figured it was an instrument I could handle and being in a band mean't I'd have more chance with the girls, or so I thought - how wrong was I on both counts :-)

Once I started playing I got more into actually learning the instrument (probably due to lack of girls) and at this point it was Rush that inspired me the most, LimeLight, Freewill, Xanadu all leave lasting impression, even to this day. However Cream's Sunshine of your love was the first tune (before I took up bass) that I thought, now that's a bass and it sounds good, up until then I'd always wanted to be Hendrix or Santana.

Edited by purpleblob

Dee Murray, on "funeral for a friend", my eldest brother had just bought the last decent album Elton John ever made, 1973 I was 13.
Immediately joined a band in school and insisted on playing bass so I could play this tune (played guitar up till then).
Wonder how many Dee Murray appreciators are out there. Wonderful player, underated.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='707974' date='Jan 10 2010, 06:28 PM']What band were you in back then? I got to back Tyla from Dogs D'Amour which I guess is the other side of the same coin[/quote]

Not one of any note! We were called 'City Heat' and The 'Boys played a club called Monroes in Stockport just after they got signed - we were local so got the gig.... They were way grittier than us!

[quote name='garethox' post='708012' date='Jan 10 2010, 06:59 PM']Not one of any note! We were called 'City Heat' and The 'Boys played a club called Monroes in Stockport just after they got signed - we were local so got the gig.... They were way grittier than us![/quote]

Thanks for that. I remember the name of the venue with bands like Sweet Addiction and Gunfire Dance playing there "back in the day". Never been personally but we played similar venues all over the UK.

[quote name='Lylodile' post='707929' date='Jan 10 2010, 05:51 PM']RHCP. Flea's bass playing made me realize that bass wasn't just plodding along, but that it could be interesting and expressive.[/quote]
Actually, +1 on that. I often forget how influential Flea was on me as a fledgling bassist, as I rarely listen to RHCP these days.

Probably Pino's work on No Parlez and Secret Of Association back in the 80s. I took a break from bass (stupid boy) for a long time and it was then Roscoe Beck with Robben Ford and Eric Johnson, and Chris Maresh also with Eric Johnson that lured me back.

way back in 1972 I heard Medicine Man by Barclay James Harvest - gave me my first introduction to bass, and I knew then that, that was what I wanted to play.......

But some months later I heard Lord Of Light by Hawkwind (the version on the Doremi album - far better than the live version on Space Ritual) - and that was it - I never looked back

Edited by arsenic

Seeing Slam Stewart at the first ever Capital Radio Jazz Festival at Alexander Palace in 1980 (I think). Really went to see BB King but Slam was a stand out moment.

On a completely different tack and very slightly earlier, the riffs in both the Boomtown Rats Rat Trap and of course the Stranglers Peaches. Got to meet and work with Pete Briquette from the Rats much later - really nice bloke.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='708034' date='Jan 10 2010, 07:15 PM']how about nomeansno wayne ? i love that tight drum/bass hardcore ..[/quote]

Oh yeah, definitely! I've seen them a few times and they're amazingly tight as a band. Funny too. In 1988, before I knew who they were, I was at a comics convention with a mate of mine in London, and we saw an 'old guy' walking around in a NoMeansNo t-shirt. Fast forward to a month later and we see the band for the first time and the 'old guy' was none other than the bass player! :)

interesting to see how many people here who were inspired by the stranglers. i guess it's an age thing, but he was superb, and a great character to [u]boot[/u] ! (not being ironic about the fact he was into his martial arts !). :)
keep 'em coming !!
particularly interesting is the fact that he played very basic bass guitars, nothing vintage or sophisticated, just pure style & aggression !
..no more heroes anymore...

Edited by phil.i.stein