Why become a member? ×

2009's gigs

john_the_bass

Just been working out how many gigs I've done this year.
I make it 22 in the covers band and another 20 split across another 2 bands, plus a recording session. I know it's small time for a lot of you, but that's bloody loads for me, especially when I'm supposed to have a day job. Still, all good fun, I wouldn't want to do it every weekend though.

What about you?

10 in 2009. We have had a major personnel change to deal with that limited us.
We like to spread them apart to keep the turnout reasonably high.
Can't overdo it though otherwise there's no time to write or record new stuff. Damn this day job to Hell.

We'll probably do about 15 or so this year.

If the diary stays as it is then I'll have clocked up 144 gigs in 2009. That's slightly down on 2008 but we had several gigs go under in the summer! I joined another band this year, didn't leave any, kept up the usual deps and added several more. Next year I'll be making the most of a new recording opportunity and will be gigging with a new band backing a female singer. Keep on keeping on!!

Formed the band in April and we've done eight gigs since then.

Only did four gigs in 2008 (with three different bands!) so the progression is encouraging. If I extrapolate the trendline while maintaining the algebraic function it seems that I'll be playing 256 gigs in 2014. :)

Even better is the money side.

I earned £60 from playing in 2008 but [b][size=3]£150 [/size][/b]in 2009 ... WOOHOO! At this rate of growth, by 2017 I'll be earning over £200k p.a.

:rolleyes:

109 for 2009, that's two bands (although FSOF only did one tour and a few one-off shows). So mostly pubs/functions/deps etc
Got 86 booked for 2010, but hopefully that will be more more more!!

I'm very much hoping to secure the (EUB) bass chair for a singer/songwriter in London, which could lead to some nice tours abroad.....massive fingers crossed :)

Si

After a great year in 2008 (120), 2009 was a bit of a let down with only 52. The people I work with lost three residencies to the recession (two venues stopped having bands and one went bust). One of them has restarted albeit fortnightly instead of weekly but the other two are dead in the water. Its given me a reason the revisit the double bass (to try and get more jazz work) and a little more practice time but here's hoping 2010 picks up.

:lol: Sitting here, getting over the excesses of the last two days - dropped onto this.

I am amazed at some of the numbers here, with people holding down full time jobs
and some on shifts!!!
We did 20, which I think was 2 down on last year but 40, 50, 60 and way beyond!!!!
I struggle to remember all of ours in one year, let alone some of the 100+ listed from
some of you guys!

Hats off to you. :lol:

Now where is that gig diary???? :) :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='FlatEric' post='694113' date='Dec 27 2009, 09:00 AM']:lol: Sitting here, getting over the excesses of the last two days - dropped onto this.

I am amazed at some of the numbers here, with people holding down full time jobs
and some on shifts!!!
We did 20, which I think was 2 down on last year but 40, 50, 60 and way beyond!!!!
I struggle to remember all of ours in one year, let alone some of the 100+ listed from
some of you guys!

Hats off to you. :lol:

Now where is that gig diary???? :) :rolleyes: :lol:[/quote]

Yeah.....don't remember them all, but they'll all written in the diary lol

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='694212' date='Dec 27 2009, 12:25 PM']Yeah.....don't remember them all, but they'll all written in the diary lol

Si[/quote]

Ha, Ha - see what you mean!! :)
What I meant was, because of my advancing years, I can't remember all the gigs!!
Did the audience start Pole Dancing - yes it did happen in October time, or did we only
play to 20 odd people as the venue had not advertised it! That sort of thing. :lol:
If you have done 50+ gigs, surely you can't remember them all!! :rolleyes: :lol:
. . . . or can you???? :lol:

4, but I only joined the band in October :). Already have 3 lined up for Jan/Feb next year. My aim is for at least double figures in 2010 and maybe pushing into the high teens. I've never done more than about 15/20 gigs in a single year...