Why become a member? ×

Why do musos stick with their sh*t bands?

maxrossell

As you will have seen from rants on other threads, I've been on the hunt for various bass players and drummers for quite some months now.

One of the weirder phenomena I've encountered while on this search is decent musicians who seemingly have no interest in joining a decent band.

Now my band's nothing special, but we can play in time, none of us are tone-deaf, we can actually play all the songs in our set, and we're usually even in tune. And yet weirdly I've encountered a biggish handful of reasonably good bassists and drummers who are in bands that can claim none of the above, and yet are not even vaguely interested in joining a better band - not necessarily my band, but just [i]any[/i] better band.

One instance stands out, a good bass player I spoke to briefly in August, whose explanation for not being interested in joining my band despite being extremely into our sort of music was that he played bass in this other band. I checked out said other band, and they were awful. Total beginner, practice-amp, argos-guitar, I-know-three-and-a-half-chords awful. I think the drummer had half a kit because he couldn't afford the other half (he was about fifteen) Despite this they practiced three times a week and two of the days conflicted directly. The weird thing is that he had to travel all the way to Garstang to practice with this band, but jamming with us would have meant walking down the street. And the kicker is that he didn't even like the music these kids played, and wasn't really mates with them because he was a good five years older.

I have yet to figure out why this guy turned down an offer of working with an experienced gigging band in his favourite style of music in favour of staying with a band that would have had trouble getting through a Nirvana cover and were probably about three years away from being ready to get on any kind of stage. I can't even begin to contemplate that he didn't know how bad they were. That's completely impossible.

Have any of you guys encountered musicians who for some unknown reason will obstinately refuse to improve their lot even when there's literally no effort required and no downside?

Maybe he liked being a big fish in a small pond rather than the other way round (it's a control thing) or maybe he's just scared of gigging or doing it simply for something to do rather than to be in a proper gigging band. Or maybe your band just simply aren't his "vibe".

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Hutton' post='680945' date='Dec 11 2009, 07:59 AM']Maybe he liked the guys in his band. Maybe they weren't judgemental and had a good time playing together. Maybe they had a good laugh and didn't take themselves too seriously. Maybe they liked to keep the atmosphere light.[/quote]
+1

[quote name='4000' post='680939' date='Dec 11 2009, 07:36 AM']....Maybe he liked being a big fish in a small pond rather than the other way round (it's a control thing) or maybe he's just scared of gigging....[/quote]
+1. I know a fantastic singer who hasn't done anything with his talent in years. He has a lack of confidence which translates into his having to be the dominant force and always "in charge", therefore he'll only play with people who are "not quite as good" or who can be manipulated. It's a shame!

[quote name='maxrossell' post='680922' date='Dec 11 2009, 06:01 AM']And the kicker is that he didn't even like the music these kids played, and wasn't really mates with them because he was a good five years older.[/quote]

[quote name='Hutton' post='680945' date='Dec 11 2009, 07:59 AM']Maybe he liked the guys in his band. Maybe they weren't judgemental and had a good time playing together. Maybe they had a good laugh and didn't take themselves too seriously. Maybe they liked to keep the atmosphere light.[/quote]

I have no doubt they liked to keep the atmosphere light - but we're not exactly a band of funeral directors ourselves. As I said, my band aren't anything special, the question isn't "why won't people join my awesome group", it's "why won't good musicians leave terrible bands".

[quote name='Marky L' post='681067' date='Dec 11 2009, 10:34 AM']So where are you based and what stuff are you doing?[/quote]

Preston Lancs., sort of heavy rock alt grunge type of stuff. [url="http://www.myspace.com/ukmarch"]http://www.myspace.com/ukmarch[/url] for some examples.

[quote name='4000' post='680939' date='Dec 11 2009, 07:36 AM']Maybe he liked being a big fish in a small pond rather than the other way round[/quote]
+1. I found myself in a band playing with some sh1t-hot multi-instrumentalist musicians and lived in perpetual fear that my playing would never match their standard. No-one likes being the weakest link. Luckily they couldn't organise their way out of a wet paper bag and split up after only a couple of gigs.

[quote name='MythSte' post='681109' date='Dec 11 2009, 11:07 AM']Thats a good point. As i said before to you Max, I felt well out of my depth in my old band. But i didnt really know what i was getting myself into! If these guys see something theyre not sure on they'll probably just panic and stick with what they know![/quote]

Sure man, but as I said, I know the guys out of your old band, and you were well within your depth. Don't be so darn modest.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='681055' date='Dec 11 2009, 10:23 AM']As I said, my band aren't anything special, the question isn't "why won't people join my awesome group", it's "why won't good musicians leave terrible bands".[/quote]

All sortsa reasons for this:

* The people are more important than the music

* [i]They[/i] don't think the band's terrible or they're happy to be the best muso in the band

* Music is just their weekly stress-buster - who needs the hassle of learning a new set, dealing with new people, new objectives

* Interpersonal dynamics - might not like the person who's doing the asking. I've been put off more than once - great sounding band, fish-faced bandleader totally up himself

* Shortage of local opportunities - if it doesn't work out, could be ages before they find another gig - better the devil you know

* Don't want to disrupt existing relationships - e.g. brothers, old friends

* They see the new band as having logistical drawbacks - rehearsal dates / times, rehearsal room facilities / location, gear humping

Edited by skankdelvar

I think it can be down to habit, it can be down to friendships, it can be convieniant, it can be a number of reasons. My last band had a pretty woeful second guitarist but he was great as he did what he was told, was a great platform to underpin solos and as importantly, he always showed up on time with money for rehearsal.

I'd rather work with a steady musician who was a good laugh and reliable than a virtuso primadonna. However I don't like people who can't play in time. Poor gear is never an issue and stuff can always be bought once the band is earning.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='681271' date='Dec 11 2009, 01:14 PM']If they're all 5 years younger than him, there's a good chance that any of their female fans are 5 years younger too. So, maybe he's onto a winner after all.[/quote]

What if he's only 17? He's banging 12 year olds!

And to the OP, the tracks on the myspace are really decent.

Edited by deathpanda

[quote name='Marky L' post='681086' date='Dec 11 2009, 10:47 AM']To far away for me then![/quote]

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='681087' date='Dec 11 2009, 10:47 AM']...............a bit far for me to commute..................... :rolleyes:

G.[/quote]
These surely belong in wayne's basschat cliches thread in OT. :lol: :)

Firstly the tracks are good. Lots of grunge/alt vibes and I reckon the band could get somewhere with proper managment. Second, your attitude stinks kid, passing comments on other musicians ability or gear is not on.If they're kids, then of course they're gonna be playing through cheaper gear. Did you start out with a stadium ready rig? Remarks like those makes you seem like a condescending dick and no ammount of modest comments about your bands ability will change that. Musicians will ultimately play in a band where they feel comfortable, 90% of that will come from a good relationship with bandmates. I dont want to come across as making a personal attack, I just think you need to readjust your views when it comes to other bands/musicians.In the end, with that kind of attitude towards others, your just alienating you and your band from the scene.