Why become a member? ×

Bass guitar unbalanced - Headstock falls towards floor when I let go of the neck - HELP!

coffee_king

Hey Guys
Just picked up a 2001 BC Rich Mockingbird Korean bass. The problem with it is that the headstock always falls towards the floor when you let go of the neck. I know that its no doubt the sh*te way it was built and is a problem with BC Rich's in general, but it is essential that I play it without having to constantly support the neck. Any ideas how to sort this problem?
Thanks
Shippo

In general for a bass to balance well the strap peg has to be more or less over the 12th fret.
So ..
Sticky strap is one option or wear it very, very low. The latter seems to be the way most players do it.
As Michael has suggested, relocating the strap button may work as it does seem to work for T-birds.
[url="http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/"]http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/[/url]

Other than that the main cure for a dippy neck on this shape of bass is to sell it and get a different shaped bass.

The wider the strap the better, and others have mentioned, a rough side to grip your clothes helps. Maybe a change of tuners to ultr-lite versions might be an option too if cost is reasonable. Other than that your only real option is to change the bass. Bad bass balance can cause so many playing and physical problems that the effort of playing it outweighs the basses long term usefulness.

Cheers for the advise. I'm gonna see about relocating the rear strap peg. I'll give it a go using some sturdy tape first until I get it right, then I'll tap the hole.
Also I've got a guitar techy mate coming over later who says he has some ideas, so I'll post the response and solution here later.
Big wide fat leather strap with suede type finish on rear sounds like a good idea too.
Anyone know of any decent UK websites that sell wide straps cheaply as some are coming up at about £70+ which is just plain stupid money!
thanks
Shippo

[quote name='shippo' post='655673' date='Nov 16 2009, 08:57 AM']Big wide fat leather strap with suede type finish on rear sounds like a good idea too.
Anyone know of any decent UK websites that sell wide straps cheaply as some are coming up at about £70+ which is just plain stupid money!
thanks
Shippo[/quote]

"Leathergraft" make a 4" wide leather strap with suede backing - I bought one a couple of years back for around £15 I think. Has cured my bass's neck dive and since it's fairly heavy, has made it much more comfortable to play. :)

Mockingbird are by far the worst basses i have owned for neck dive ( I have owned 2 myself) If its a bolt on, reposition the button onto the neck plate and get a very grippy strap and ultra light tuners. But honestly it will never be as good a balance as a traditionally shaped bass.

I can attest that moving the strap button to the neck heel does work quite well.

Now I'm getting back into bass I quite miss the old "mission control" mocking bird that passed through the hands of a few of us here! I dont miss my old banana necked NJ one quite as much...

[quote name='Wil' post='655911' date='Nov 16 2009, 01:07 PM']I can attest that moving the strap button to the neck heel does work quite well.

Now I'm getting back into bass I quite miss the old "mission control" mocking bird that passed through the hands of a few of us here! I dont miss my old banana necked NJ one quite as much...[/quote]

Join the club! I am first in line for it if Oli lets go!

[quote name='shippo' post='655214' date='Nov 15 2009, 03:09 PM']Hey Guys
Just picked up a 2001 BC Rich Mockingbird Korean bass. The problem with it is that the headstock always falls towards the floor when you let go of the neck. I know that its no doubt the sh*te way it was built and is a problem with BC Rich's in general, but it is essential that I play it without having to constantly support the neck. Any ideas how to sort this problem?
Thanks
Shippo[/quote]

Strongly worded,Sh*te way it was built?

Maybe sh*te way it was designed,but If you want a kickass shape,you've gotta learn how to tame the beast :)

As someone else here pointed out,neckdive is a problem with basses where the front strap button is away from the 12th fret

First off,Straplocks are a must,then get the widest leather strap you can find BEFORE moving the strap buttons

With a Mockingbird,players have learnt to use their right forearm to always rest on the rear top of the bass

and you think you've got problems! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bassix' post='665142' date='Nov 25 2009, 02:44 PM']I've got one of the new Epi Thunderbird Pro's, as its throughbody would it still be possible to move the strap button to the back? Or would it be better to look at getting a thicker strap?[/quote]
i personally wouldnt be happy drilling into a part of the bass which is effectively the neck.

have a look on the gibson Tbirds, see where they have theirs?

Edited by Killstarz

I just popped down to see Bernie Goodfellow who lives not five minutes from my house to discuss the problem of the neck-dive on the Epiphone's. I advised him of what had been said round these parts on how to correct the problem. He didn't think it would work but offered to do it for free just to give it a go. 30 seconds later and the problem has been greatly reduced, thanks BCers! Also thanks to Bernie for having the time to stand around and chat to someone as unknowledgable as myself whilst doing it for free, a true gent.

[quote]Bass guitar unbalanced - Headstock falls towards floor when I let go of the neck[/quote]

Having resolved that issue, there's now this burning problem...

Bass guitarist unbalanced - head falls towards floor when I'm let go to neck lots of booze

Please nobody recommend drilling new holes in me, the piercer has already done that quite enough.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='672949' date='Dec 3 2009, 10:44 AM']Now I can't believe THAT suffers from neck dive - not with a Kahler!

Bet it does the "Explorer Flop" though.

P.[/quote]

:) It may have a Kahler,but have you seen what's at the other end?,Schaller Titans (Soon to be Grover Titans),they ain't light :rolleyes: