Why become a member? ×

Typical! You wait for 1 Bass and 3 come along at once

Old Horse Murphy

Well after promising myself that I wasn't going to change any of my Gear in 2009 I find myself with a whole different set up than I started with at the beginning of the year...

The good news for my wallet at least is that financially I've actually been able to put some money by from all my shenanigans as most of my acquisitons have either been from selling gear and buying cheaper or straight swaps. In my tiny twisted little mind, this makes up for breaking my resolution to not keep constantly changing my setup :)

Anyway, this is what I've ended up with.

The 51 Reissue was bought from GAK (as advertised on this forum) for a fantastic price. It's currently out of service as I've just replaced the bridge and am awaiting a replacement Seymour Duncan Quarterpounder which is due imminently. It's a 1996 model and is absolutely spotless. It is also VERY yellow. More fluorescent yellow than butterscotch and I'm sure it glows in the dark. Nonetheless it's a lot for bass for the money.

Next up is a Gibson SG Reissue bass in Canary Yellow and dates from 2006. This was through a trade with Jsixties (Javier) on this forum and came all the way from Spain in less than 5 days. Again it's spotless and incredibly easy to play. I'm not a fan of the 3 point bridge and will replace this with a Hipshot soon. It sounds great and really adds some authenticity to some of the 60's and 70's numbers we do.

Lastly is a 78 Precision Bass that I traded with OBBM (Dave) for my Shuker 5 String P bass. I'm very pleased my Shuker went to Dave and I can honestly say I can't think of anyone I would rather have ended up with it.

Dave described it as being in "tip top" condition but as usual he was being modest. For a 30 year old instrument it's absolutely mint with no wear other than on the pickguard. It even came with the original hang tags, paperwork and receipt. The wood used is beautiful on both the body, neck and headstock and again it sounds wonderful.

The neck is a factory fitted Jazz profile neck (custom ordered when the bass was made) and it is the easiest P Bass I've ever played. People talk about late 70's Fenders being either hit or miss. This definitely falls in to the Hit category. It's a bit heavy but after years and years of playing as a Front Row Forward it doesn't bother me much :rolleyes:

So, these are the 3 basses I intend to see 2009 out with. The P basses are definitely keepers, but I would like to think I will still have all 3 at the end of 2010 (no promises though!)

Nick, I am in total shock. First of all you get a 1996 Fender 51 re-issue which if in the colour I want, is something I have never been able to find. However, whats even more shocking is that you sold your Shuker. Something that I never ever thought you would do. Are you saying that you have no 5 string bass now?

I really am very surprised at your changes but good on you. So, when can I come round and see the 51???

Those 51 P-basses are great. I have one and all I did was put a SD Antiquity pup in it. It's my favourite. Cosmetically I flipped the pickguard and put ashtrays on it but it's really solid. Just a great bass. I saw yours advertised and thought it was a steal of a price. Loving all 3 though

[quote name='Linus27' post='653172' date='Nov 12 2009, 10:43 PM']Nick, I am in total shock. First of all you get a 1996 Fender 51 re-issue which if in the colour I want, is something I have never been able to find. However, whats even more shocking is that you sold your Shuker. Something that I never ever thought you would do. Are you saying that you have no 5 string bass now?

I really am very surprised at your changes but good on you. So, when can I come round and see the 51???[/quote]

Hi Michael

Hope you're well. This might explain the first part. It wasn't an easy decision, but I really didn't want it sat round gathering dust as an expensive piece of furniture.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=66199&st=0&p=647559&#entry647559"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry647559[/url]

I've not really played the 51 much yet mate but once it's up and running you're welcome at any time to come and give it a go. I didn't realise it was the Nuclear Blonde colour you liked. I always thought it was the sunburst finish you preferred :)

Thanks for all the comments guys; much appreciated :rolleyes:

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='653400' date='Nov 13 2009, 09:59 AM']Hi Michael

Hope you're well. This might explain the first part. It wasn't an easy decision, but I really didn't want it sat round gathering dust as an expensive piece of furniture.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=66199&st=0&p=647559&#entry647559"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry647559[/url]

I've not really played the 51 much yet mate but once it's up and running you're welcome at any time to come and give it a go. I didn't realise it was the Nuclear Blonde colour you liked. I always thought it was the sunburst finish you preferred :)

Thanks for all the comments guys; much appreciated :rolleyes:[/quote]

Hey Nick,

I am good thanks, still gassing badly for my Warwick Corvette and playing my Stingray lots. Would love to come and see the 51 when your ready. The 51 came in three colours. The early 90's one came in Sunburst and a bright yellow colour. The latest model comes in Sunburst and Butterscotch Blonde. Its the early 90's model in yellow that I really wanted but had never ever seen one in the flesh. If you ever decide to part with it, please put me first on the list of buying it :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Linus27' post='653441' date='Nov 13 2009, 10:27 AM']Hey Nick,

I am good thanks, still gassing badly for my Warwick Corvette and playing my Stingray lots. Would love to come and see the 51 when your ready. The 51 came in three colours. The early 90's one came in Sunburst and a bright yellow colour. The latest model comes in Sunburst and Butterscotch Blonde. Its the early 90's model in yellow that I really wanted but had never ever seen one in the flesh. If you ever decide to part with it, please put me first on the list of buying it :rolleyes: :lol:[/quote]

Well, I ordered a Seymour Duncan QP for this from The Bass Centre exactly 2 weeks ago. It was showing as "in stock" on their website but absolutely no sign of it yet as apparently they're still waiting on a delivery of SD gear.

I wouldn't mind so much if I hadn't taken out the original pickup already. Easy enough to re-fit but a pain in the backside :)

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='660001' date='Nov 20 2009, 11:39 AM']Well, I ordered a Seymour Duncan QP for this from The Bass Centre exactly 2 weeks ago. It was showing as "in stock" on their website but absolutely no sign of it yet as apparently they're still waiting on a delivery of SD gear.

I wouldn't mind so much if I hadn't taken out the original pickup already. Easy enough to re-fit but a pain in the backside :)[/quote]

I am hearing more and more stories like this with regards to The Bass Centre. Can you not cancel and get from somewhere else?

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Linus27' post='653172' date='Nov 12 2009, 10:43 PM']Nick, I am in total shock. First of all you get a 1996 Fender 51 re-issue which if in the colour I want, is something I have never been able to find. However, whats even more shocking is that you sold your Shuker. Something that I never ever thought you would do. Are you saying that you have no 5 string bass now?

I really am very surprised at your changes but good on you. So, when can I come round and see the 51???[/quote]

Hmmm, well I'm still waiting for a refund from Bass Centre...............

And there's me thinking they'd improved somewhat recently

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='676719' date='Dec 7 2009, 01:56 PM']Hmmm, well I'm still waiting for a refund from Bass Centre...............

And there's me thinking they'd improved somewhat recently[/quote]

Your signature sure looks different, FENDER, FENDER, FENDER :):):rolleyes::)

How's, the 51 coming along? I still not got my Warwick yet. Still being made in Germany :lol: However, I am really gassing for an olympic white Fender Precision with black scratchplate and rosewood neck. It would have to replace one of my existing basses and the only one that could be would be the 75 Jazz re-issue. Can you believe it :lol:

[quote name='Linus27' post='676725' date='Dec 7 2009, 02:03 PM']Your signature sure looks different, FENDER, FENDER, FENDER :):):rolleyes::)

How's, the 51 coming along? I still not got my Warwick yet. Still being made in Germany :lol: However, I am really gassing for an olympic white Fender Precision with black scratchplate and rosewood neck. It would have to replace one of my existing basses and the only one that could be would be the 75 Jazz re-issue. Can you believe it :lol:[/quote]

My Sig changes with the wind mate!!

BTW I LOVE what you've done to your hair! You scrub up well mate :lol:

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='676728' date='Dec 7 2009, 02:06 PM']My Sig changes with the wind mate!!

BTW I LOVE what you've done to your hair! You scrub up well mate :)[/quote]

HAHAHAHA Yeah, I though blonde and longer would suit me and keep me warm in the winter months.