Why become a member? ×

Distance to rehearsals...

3V17C

i'm just starting to look around for some new projects but as is the norm its pretty dead round here so am thinking about looking a bit farther afield. only trouble is of course that means more travelling time/petrol etc to and from any rehearsals. i'm incredibly lazy and easily distracted so it'd have to be a very good band for me to travel any serious distance.

so... how far do people here travel for rehearsals.... and does it rapidly get to be a chore?!!

peace

c

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='651997' date='Nov 11 2009, 09:13 PM']About an hour, but not always, sometimes we rehearse about 15 minutes away.

If it was any further I'd be a bit grumpy about it.[/quote]

same here - about an hour, but I try to arrange work on the same day with a client in the same area (I'm self-employed) so I have another reason to go.

It's actually got worse for me lately because I have to give two other people a lift to rehearsals. One's not so bad - she lives across town but it's almost on my way, the other I have to collect from the train station, again not bad but it means I have to go through town. All together it probably adds another 20 minutes each way, or worse depending on traffic.

Normally we'd be rehearsing in York more but our drummer's just had a baby so we're not bothering with rehearsal rooms since he's not coming.

When you're in the Eastern most town in the UK a long way! Was in Ipswich for a couple of years and regularly went to Stowmarket (25 miles) or Felixstowe and Saxmundham for Jam sessions. You're only 25-ish miles from Norwich - surely there's something going on there? Check out Grapevine Magazine (great mag founded by a great bass player, Paul Burrows - now at the M.U.) for what's going on throughout your region.

[quote name='crez5150' post='652050' date='Nov 11 2009, 10:02 PM']During the 'off' season.... I drive from Essex to Newbury once per week and Essex to Sussex once per week..... far enough I think...... The Essex to Newbury is normally about a 3 hour drive because of the M25.[/quote]
That's truly awesome :) Must be a good band to merit such dedication...

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='652066' date='Nov 11 2009, 10:20 PM']I did a 110 mile round trip for years and it only stopped because the singer split. Distance is less of an issue if the group is right for you. Now I have less than a 3 mile round trip but I'm less busy. Happy with it though[/quote]

Mine's a 110 mile roundtrip every Saturday. Rehearsal room is free for us and we use the place to store gear too. I also write this up as expenses, the mileage is brilliant at reducing tax bills :)

We generally use the rehearsal space from 11am or 12pm to about 6pm on a Saturday so it's a long session and worthwhile. It's absolutely the right band too so it never becomes a chore.

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='652113' date='Nov 11 2009, 11:22 PM']That's truly awesome :) Must be a good band to merit such dedication...[/quote]

Not really..... just the band is all over the place..... Guitarist lives in Merthyr (Wales), Drummer in Nailsea (Bristol), Keys in Leicester and Singer in Sussex....

I used to go to London each week for practice, couldn't drive, so it meant the train down to Hatfield or Stevenage, then a lift from another member from there! But I did learn to drive when doing that, so eventually did just drive.

Edited by thedontcarebear

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='652327' date='Nov 12 2009, 09:53 AM']I'm travelling 31 miles each way over Shap :rolleyes:

Can be a challenge in the Winter.[/quote]
No kidding! :lol:

Luckily I live just outside Cambridge, so it's pretty flat round here. Rehearsals are generally in Cambridge, so I can drive to them after work - maybe 10 or 15 mins tops across town, but it's then a 30 minute drive home (usually late into the night, on back roads, not nice this time of year).

Most of the worship team members live in Cambridge, so there's no point in asking for a venue outside of town :)

Anyway, I used to live in Ely which was a damn-sight further away - so glad I'm not doing that round-trip now.

Any prize for this?

I drive 400 miles round trip for practices. Although they're not very frequent I admit.

This means one of two things, either I am so cr*p I have to travel to the other end of the country to find anyone who will play with me, [i]or[/i] the songs are great. The last is my story, and I'm sticking to it. :rolleyes:

I will have to get off my ass though and find something more local, but if you're over 30 and you don't want to play weddings, there's not much happening round here. :)