Why become a member? ×

Lakland Recommendations?

FuNkShUi

Ive been very lucky to pick up an endorsement deal with Lakland and was looking for advice/opinions on the different availible models. I have played the Duck Dunn, and loved it. So for this reason, this is the model im leaning towards getting. Unless someone on here can persuade me otherwise. Basically i havent played any other Lakland, so was looking for advice and recommendations off people who have. I play in a couple of bands. One does covers, and one does originals. So it needs does need to be quite versatile. Ta very much :)

Will you be getting a US-made or a Skyline? Depending on the model you want, it can make quite a difference.

I've had a Bob Glaub, a Duck Dunn, and a Daryl Jones. All Skylines, all 34" 4-strings.

Liked the Glaub, but at the end of the day it's a P-bass. Loved the DD and I'll be keeping it, because that jazz neck is so nice.

The first DJ I tried was strange - build was fine, setup was fine, electrics were fine, played like a complete dog. The second was a superb J-bass. Try before you buy.

I also have a Prosebass Custom which uses the neck from a Skyline JO5, so it's a 35" scale. Fabulous neck, great sound from the longer scale. If you have a relatively free choice of which Lakland to go for, I'd certainly recommend trying one of their 35" 5-strings before making your decision. Even if you're not usually a 5-string guy, the tone might change your mind ...

Yeh im going to get the Skyline model, just because i didnt think i could justify spending that much extra when the advantages arent that obvious i guess. I know some people will say its worth it, but IMO, i didnt think i could justify it.

I have got the option of trying a few out. The UK distributor for Lakland is Headline Music store, so i can travel up there to have a go of a few of them. I liked the DD when i played it, but i like what ive heard of the JO too. So yeh, definitly worth a try i reckon!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='650473' date='Nov 10 2009, 11:16 AM']The first DJ I tried was strange - build was fine, setup was fine, electrics were fine, played like a complete dog. The second was a superb J-bass. Try before you buy.[/quote]

Just in case you were thinking of going down the DJ4/5 route you should probably know that Lakland don't do the Daryll Jones Jazz anymore.

BTW Jack I believe that my DJ4 used to belong to you. I hope that it was your second one! :)

My vote goes to a Duck Dunn.
Best bass (IMHO) ive ever owned and i loved the tone. Mine had a Fralin in it, not sure how the Laklands sound but if (when) i ever get another ill be on the look out for a Fralin DD.

For now my DJ5 is doing the job.

I'd say congrats on the Lakland deal but im the jealous type so wont ;-). Oh ok, congrats.

Edited by dave_bass5

+1 on the 2nd generation CAR Duck Dunn with Lindy Fralin.

A close runner up comes the DJ4 that I had followed by the DJ5. Both excellent.

Did not get on with the JO5 or the Jerry Scheff 4.

One day I will try a JO4. If the neck is the same as the DD, which I believe it is, then it'll be magic.

cheers again for all the advice, and thanks! :)
i spoke to the warehouse they are being distributed to, and ive been told Lakland have sent a couple over. So when they come in ill get a phone call, and ill be able to go up and try whatever is there. There'll definitly be a DD, but the rest is just chance. Im hopin they put a few US series in the shipment by mistake :rolleyes:

[quote name='JTUK' post='650767' date='Nov 10 2009, 03:52 PM']I am looking for a DJ5...

I will be interested to see how they replace this model....[/quote]

OK two things first, even though I own a Lakland, they do have a couple of basses in their range that are essentially Fender copies and also Adam Clayton has been playing a DJ4 (albeit without the Darryl Jones signature on it) for some time.

If a product is successful and clearly still in demand (as the DJ basses seem to be), then you would think they would continue to make and sell it. The big stumbling block here is that the design came from DJs original A Bass model - link [url="http://www.abasses.com/"]A Basses[/url] - who Darryl Jones has now gone back to.

The question really is whether Lakland would continue to [i]copy [/i]or license the body shape and simply call it something else, or drop it completely. At the end of the day, Lakland seem to be doing OK and maybe don't need the model.

P

Edited by NancyJohnson