Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan

Mickeyboro

I'm treating myself this morning to playing their first three albums right the way through as I work.

The Dan get much praise here, but mostly for their later more complex work which can't hold a candle to Can't Buy A Thrill, Countdown To Ecstasy and Pretzel Logic.

What's more they have bass lines I can actually attempt to play, as opposed to the complex finger-twisters of later years. Was it when Becker stopped playing bass that this happened? Or am I alone... :)

I love those first 3 albums, bought them as they came out when I was a student from 73-76. There was a joy in their vocals and variety in the songs which I don't hear in their much more recent work. Still appreciate Aja and the like but Everthing must Go and Two against Nature are too "chugga chugga" guitar riffs for me...

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='649507' date='Nov 9 2009, 11:13 AM']What's more they have bass lines I can actually attempt to play, as opposed to the complex finger-twisters of later years. Was it when Becker stopped playing bass that this happened? Or am I alone... :)[/quote]

Hmm this is just an observation so don't take it the wrong way but... one way of interpreting what you seem to be saying is... 'it's too difficult for me therefore I won't like it'
I think there are some dynamite bass parts throughout the Dan catalogue and there is literally nothing they do that I couldn't play.
So, it's just subjective, isn't it?

[quote name='jakesbass' post='649677' date='Nov 9 2009, 01:38 PM']one way of interpreting what you seem to be saying is... 'it's too difficult for me therefore I won't like it'[/quote]

I think my original post was wondering if the camps divide between those like me who prefer the commercially appealing stuff my non-musician fans like and those (some on here) who go weak at the knees for a complex bassline regardless of song quality.

I'm also aware some of us play Dan material for a living, so am interested in their take.

Also, as a side issue, was Becker a limited bassist? Or did he just play what suited the song?

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='649698' date='Nov 9 2009, 02:04 PM']I think my original post was wondering if the camps divide between those like me who prefer the commercially appealing stuff my non-musician fans like and those (some on here) who go weak at the knees for a complex bassline regardless of song quality.

I'm also aware some of us play Dan material for a living, so am interested in their take.

Also, as a side issue, was Becker a limited bassist? Or did he just play what suited the song?[/quote]
Fair point, and a little more info makes your thinking come across more clearly.
Becker? Limited yes, but right for the material? Definitely.
I think part of Dan's greatness is that they made more complex and substantial material acceptable to a very large audience. What is nice is that there's something for everyone... A catchy tune like Peg, great to whistle to, but for the more detailed among us... ever noticed it's a 13 bar sequence....?
AJA sold a LOT of copies...

I think that that is the Dan's appeal. The material is sophisticated and accessible at the same time. Like Pat Metheny, it lets you sing along without realising how bloody hard it is to write and perform. I haven't heard any Dan lines I couldn't play. Some I wouldn't ahve WRITTEN, yes, but none I couldn't play.

And I agree - a great/complex bassline is not enough to make a song great. I said it elsewhere: James Jamerson - great player on lousy material!

Any competent player can copy the SD bass parts. Granted, there are some tricky ones - Charlemagne, Bodhisattva, Gaslighting Abbie - but it's just a matter of letting the chord changes sink in. Aja, Deacon Blues and Babylon Sisters have a lot of changes.

However, I'm convinced the hard part is getting the feel right. If you listen to Kid Charlemagne, there's a magical feel between the bass and drums, a funk/reggae groove.

I think I have to agree with Jake. The earlier stuff is easier to play, but they were constantly pushing the envelope as the albums went on. Glamour Profession is a masterpiece.

The latest albums with Becker show him to be a great bassist. Jack Of Speed is incredible.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='649718' date='Nov 9 2009, 02:33 PM']And I agree - a great/complex bassline is not enough to make a song great. I said it elsewhere: James Jamerson - great player on lousy material![/quote]

I agree with most of the stuff you post on here Bilbo. but that's got me scratching my head. :) could you give me an example of the lousy material?

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='650001' date='Nov 9 2009, 07:45 PM']The latest albums with Becker show him to be a great bassist. Jack Of Speed is incredible.[/quote]
+1
also blues beach is a lovely line and quirkily uses the 4th of the scale but in totally palatable and very funky fashion. The fourth is one of the less consonant notes and in bass lines if used as a principal note rather than in passing can sound very unfinished (not least because it offers the notion of a suspension) but in that line Becker fits it in beautifully.
As Pete says the notes are quite straightforward to cop but the feels are very important so the songs are lifeless without the right feel.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='650030' date='Nov 9 2009, 08:12 PM']+1
also blues beach is a lovely line and quirkily uses the 4th of the scale but in totally palatable and very funky fashion. The fourth is one of the less consonant notes and in bass lines if used as a principal note rather than in passing can sound very unfinished (not least because it offers the notion of a suspension) but in that line Becker fits it in beautifully.
As Pete says the notes are quite straightforward to cop but the feels are very important so the songs are lifeless without the right feel.[/quote]

Wow, you've lost me on that, mate. :)

I just play 'em.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='650008' date='Nov 9 2009, 07:54 PM']I agree with most of the stuff you post on here Bilbo. but that's got me scratching my head. :) could you give me an example of the lousy material?[/quote]

My Girl - Temptations
Ooh Baby Baby - The Miracles
To Many Fish In The Sea - The Marvelettes
Heat Wave - Martha & The Vandellas
This Old Heart Of Mine - Isley Brothers
Where Did Our Love Go (U) - Diana/Supremes
My Guy - Mary Wells
Dancing In The Streets - Martha & The Vandellas
Don't Mess With Bill - The Marvelettes
Mickey's Monkey (U) - The Miracles
Cloud Nine - Temptations
My Baby Loves Me - Martha & The Vandellas
Little Darling (I Need You) - 4 Tops
I'm Ready For Love
The Way You Do The Things You Do - Temptations
You're All I Need To Get By - Temptations
You Can't Hurry Love - Diana/Supremes
Shop Around - The Miracles
Take Me In Your Arms (And Rock Me A Little While) - Brenda Holloway
My Baby Must Be A Magician - The Marvelettes
Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart - Diana/Supremes
Beauty Is Only Skin Deep - Temptations
Going To A Go-Go - The Miracles
Hitch Hike - Marvin Gaye
I Second That Emotion - The Miracles
Please Mr. Postman - The Marvelettes
Jmmy Mack - Martha & The Vandellas
Shake Me, Wake Me (When It's Over) - 4 Tops
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me - Temptations
Get Ready - Temptations
Stop! In The Name Of Love - Diana/Supremes
Nowhere To Run - Martha & The Vandellas
Seven Rooms Of Gloom - 4 Tops
Pride & Joy - Marvin Gaye
(I Know) I'm Losing You - Temptations
Two Lovers - Mary Wells
I'll Turn To Stone - 4 Tops
Come See About Me - Diana/Supremes
If I Were your Woman Gladys Knight & The Pips
My World Is Empty Without You - Diana/Supremes
The Tracks Of My Tears - The Miracles
Can I Get A Witness - Marvin Gaye
The Girls Alright With Me - Temptations
Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Da Day - Stevie Wonder
Reflections - Diana/Supremes
What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted - Jimmy Ruffin
Quicksand... - Martha & The Vandellas
Reach Out...I'll Be There - 4 Tops
You Beat Me To The Punch - Mary Wells
The Bells - The Originals
All in the Game - Four Tops
My Baby - Temptations
This Old Heart Of Mine - Isley Brothers
My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left) - David Ruffin
It Takes Two - Marvin Gaye/Tammy Terrell
To Busy Thinking About My Baby - Marvin Gaye
When Your Young And In Love - Marvelettes
I Were Your Woman - Gladys Knight & the Pips
It's Growing - The Temptations
I Can't Get Next To You - Temptations
Heart Breaking Guy - Supremes

Mostly bubblegum and dross. Some great lines on paper but not great songs by my standards. You are allowed to disagree (how big of me) but that's what I think.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='650162' date='Nov 9 2009, 10:01 PM']You are allowed to disagree (how big of me) but that's what I think.[/quote]

No point in disagreeing, Bilbo. You're entitled to your opinion.

Thanks for taking so much time and trouble to list stuff you don't like.

Edited by skankdelvar