Why become a member? ×

tonights observations..

witterth

Norah Jones, guitar and bass player must not have spent more than £100 on kit (including strings) :)
stornaway wtf??? I was in better bands when I was 11,and I MEAN It! :rolleyes:
but on a more positive note,
Jay zee, foo fighters and bless him, Sting, Shi#t hot eh? really good stuff!! :lol: edit again due to spelling god Im rubbish!!

Edited by witterth

[quote name='Sibob' post='644817' date='Nov 3 2009, 10:52 PM']I only caught Foo Fighters, who I think are average at the best of times anyway, and Jay-Z, who was cool but the bass player looked like he wasn't a bass player lol

Si[/quote]
what do you mean his lack lusture performance?I'd agree with that!!
any one of us could play the three notes he managed!

Edited by witterth

[quote name='Sibob' post='644878' date='Nov 3 2009, 11:49 PM']It's not that it was only 3 notes, that's beside the point.....that is sometimes as simple as a bassline needs to be.
But he could have at least played them with some conviction lol

Si[/quote]
mmm...yeah your right (watched it again)

I'll have to watch the extended version to see what you all mean. I did think Sting was disappointing, his diction for singing in a folk stylee (where telling the story is so important) was poor and couldn't catch all the words.

Regarding only having spent £100 on instruments... I used to have a couple of Wals, lovely build quality but never liked the processed sound that came with the Custom models... I think the early and cheaper ProIIe sounded much better. These days, I search out the cheap end of the market. Build quality may not match the Wals of this world but when I find a decent sounding one and visit a luthier, they play great too. One cymbal stand knocked over on stage and a chipped headstock/body on a £150 instrument is easier to live with than one costing £2500.

It's not a competition about how much it costs, it's what you do with it.

think that new foo's tune is very Tom Petty and was the 'Fat' Smear on 3rd guitar?

Did you see Sting's beard? He's gone all John Martyn!! or maybe he's developing an eco-system to help battle deforestation?

:)

Edited by krispn

Yeah Sting is releasing an album inspired by winter and nothing says 'winter' like a big beard. He looks like some kind of metrosexual lumberjack. But he's okay...

That whole Jools thing was a like a mass meeting of the middle of the road millionaires club.

[quote name='Mateybass' post='644919' date='Nov 4 2009, 01:26 AM']Regarding only having spent £100 on instruments... I used to have a couple of Wals, lovely build quality but never liked the processed sound that came with the Custom models... I think the early and cheaper ProIIe sounded much better. These days, I search out the cheap end of the market. Build quality may not match the Wals of this world but when I find a decent sounding one and visit a luthier, they play great too. One cymbal stand knocked over on stage and a chipped headstock/body on a £150 instrument is easier to live with than one costing £2500.[/quote]
Especially when it's in the back of a van with everyone else's gear - including the drum kit! :)

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='645507' date='Nov 4 2009, 05:39 PM']"That whole Jools thing was a like a mass meeting of the middle of the road millionaires club."

I very much doubt Stornoway are millionaires.
I've supported them in Oxford and the music was pleasant enough, but couldn't quite see what the fuss was all about.[/quote]

I think it was pretty obvious that my comment was not really focusing on Stornoway! Yeah, I could have worded it better. They are probably not millionaires, no. They just got a guest pass to the club for one night.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='645288' date='Nov 4 2009, 02:37 PM']I felt the Foo Fighters first song was hampered by the fact they were a 7 piece. Strip it down to 3 and then they'd have to find some energy from somewhere! Can't comment on Sting as I fell asleep (oops, that's probably a comment).

Mike[/quote]

i'd agree. the session muscians didn;t seem to add much to the overall sound there. doesm't really feel like your watching the foos.

I thought Jay Z sucked watermelons through elephants and the only redeeming feature of his entire set was the backing singer in the first song, wow was she hot!! Too bad Dizzee Rascal hired Guthrie Gowan.

I enjoyed Stornoway, they have a singer who can actually sing on key unlike most indie bands and they are very young, they will improve. Don't get Norma Jones though, and I dont' know what her bassist was trying to prove. Fortunately I missed Sting - growing the beard is relatively easy but matching Martyn's awesome talent is going to present a considerable challenge.

As for Foos, what can you say. Consumate ease, particularly Times Like These. I may be guilty of forgetting what they're capable of, though I too would have preferred to see fewer session musicians. I thought they were a class above everything else I've seen in this series with the exception of Gladys Knight.

Of all the ancient legends Jools has had on recently (Andy Williams, Smokey Robinson) who should hang up their microphones, Gladys was, as you say, sensational.

'Times Like These' is a great song but it was done even better by another legend on Jools' show a few months back, forgotten his name now, bit name though!

I love Jools' show, we play 'spot the best musician' for each show.

Just watched it.

Foo Fighters did sound like Tom Petty. I see Nate is still playing a Lakland through Ashdown ABM gear. Times Like These sounded good.

Jay-z New York song was pretty good. The female singer had an awsome voice but not so keen on the rapping but I guess thats what he does. The song had so much space, the bass player could of had a field day and done some amazing stuff. The Guitarist was certainly was having some fun, just wish he was a bit louder.

Nora Jones had nice hair. Quite 90's britpop.

Stornoway reminded me of something Simon and Garfunkle would do. Not quite my cup of tea and the guys voice started to annoy me.

Sting, also known as Captain Birdseye, did not do much for me. I am a big fan of Sting but this was just a little bland for me.