Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ever Been Filmed?

Pete Academy

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='642378' date='Nov 1 2009, 10:34 AM']I played on TV in the early to mid 90s and that was a strange but excellent experience.

I now routinely film gigs on a camcorder and it's an interesting way to iron out mistakes and improve performance. Are you using your footage for anything special?[/quote]

Errr...don't tell Bilbo, but we're making a DVD. It was filmed at the Stables in Milton Keynes and recorded on 24-track audio.

About 15 years ago I was filmed busking outside a pub in Brighton - The Kensington Arms - with [url="http://www.myspace.com/tragic_roundabout"]Tragic Roundabout[/url] (fantastic band), for a TV show, Honor Blackman's guide to Brighton. We were all told not to look at the camera, which, of course, made it absolutely impossible not to.

About the same sort of time, and with the now-defunct Swamp Things (my first professional outfit), we were filmed backing Johnny Mars at a harmonica workshop for kids at a school in Chichester. Don't remember much about that, beyond Johnny being a really friendly bloke.

Last year Red Jackson were filmed at a cafe gig we used to do on Avon Beach - results are [url="http://www.youtube.com/redjacksondotcom"]here[/url]. It was a captive, sit down audience, all-eyes on the stage kind of gig, which doesn't usually bother me too much, but I have to say I did feel a bit self-conscious about that one.

A couple of weeks ago we had 2 sets at a 007 themed charity ball filmed professionally and I'm really looking forward to getting hold of that footage.

As a regular, all-year round street performer, I'm constantly having cameras and videocams pointed at me, and I'm sure some of it finds it's way onto youtube, but I've not been able to find any.

[quote name='crez5150' post='642680' date='Nov 1 2009, 07:25 PM']you've seen it then?[/quote]
I have, there's a memorable milk float chase around the curves of Madeline Smith. Call me cynical but I think they were just looking for an excuse to use milk floats.

Several times. I always fond that tv work is so over rehearsed that it is almost impossible to be nervous because, by the time you are actually being filmed, you are bored out of your head! Played live on the National Lottery programme when Anthea Turner was doing it. 15 million watching, apparently. Must have run it a dozen times before we went live so it was like falling off a log. Some other tv work for Welsh tv, Brecon Jazz Festival, odds and sods. I don't get nervous; I worked out years ago that I would have to catch fire for people to notice what I was doing.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='643120' date='Nov 2 2009, 09:01 AM']Several times. I always fond that tv work is so over rehearsed that it is almost impossible to be nervous because, by the time you are actually being filmed, you are bored out of your head! Played live on the National Lottery programme when Anthea Turner was doing it. 15 million watching, apparently. Must have run it a dozen times before we went live so it was like falling off a log. Some other tv work for Welsh tv, Brecon Jazz Festival, odds and sods. I don't get nervous; I worked out years ago that I would have to catch fire for people to notice what I was doing.[/quote]
That is ..so..so ....right!

Did a thing for Granada about 18 months ago, it was really good fun.
Was also meant to do the Paul O'Grady soon after, which would have been nice...

It was on youtube until our singer pulled it, we've changed keyboard player and guitarist since then.

Hopefully more TV work in the new year.
A Manchester filmaker also wants to make a documentary about our band and how we're working a quartet into our sound.
It will finish with a 'live at abbey road' style gig being filmed at the greenroom in Manchester.

Did a gig for Blue Peter a few years ago, our footage didn't make it into the show though which was a pain. It was a pretty odd experience having steady cams thrust into your face! We got treated like celebs by the BBC though which was pretty cool. Nice little green room, loads of catering, private parking and a bunch of techies who set all our gear up for us and packed it down again! Got a Blue Peter badge too which was a nice touch!