Why become a member? ×

flats on a musicman ?

ahpook

i bought some pyramid golds for my epiphone jack casady, and to be honest i prefer the sound of it with roundwounds.

i'm looking at my musicman sabre as a possible candidate for the flatties.

anyone out there using flatties with a MM ?

tbh i thought musicmans were all about twang

I used TI Jazz Flats on my pre EB ray and the tone was sexy as. I upgraded to the slightly stiffer La Bela Deep Talkers but they didn't like through body bridges. IIRC, and as an extension of WoT's comment above, I'm pretty most BE's Chic basslines were flats on a 'ray

Chris

I've got flats on my fretless SUB and I used to use flats on my old fretted 3 band Ray. It works really well if you like the MM sound but sometimes find that top end zing a little irksome and don't want to use the treble cut.

EDIT Beedster is correct, Bernard Edwards used flats on his Ray which is now owned by John Taylor of Duran Duran. I'm pretty sure he used that bass on Astronaut with BE's old flats still on it.

Edited by ezbass

I've just fired a set of used TIs on my newly acquired MIM fender P with MM pickup and I'm happy so far. Personally, there's something about the MM pickup that brings out a good parpy, burpy sound with flats. One of the best fretless sounds I ever had was with a Stingray. I used to be a fan of twang but find myself heading towards a more mellow sound the older I get.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='640988' date='Oct 30 2009, 12:21 PM']I tried them once on a Sterling and it was an awful experience. I was only happy again when I changed back to roundwounds. Never ever again for me.

I quite like flats on P-basses for that old school thump but thats about it.[/quote]

I put Roto flats on my Sterling when I was doing a lot of folky stuff and I loved the sound. It was great for fingerstyle funk too but b*gger all use for rock.

Now I'm playing a lot of bluesy/psycedelia type stuff I'm fining roundwounds a bit too zingy so I might go back to flatties.

I've got La Bella flats on my fretless SR5. They're awesome. IMO, the MM pup (combined with its position) gives the ultimate fretless bmmmwaaahhh, and the flats help to bring that out without overdosing on sizzly highs. To me, the MM sound is all about high-mids, and the flats still deliver that throaty grrraaahh in buckets. Yes, people, that's bmmmwaaahhh and grrraaahh simultaneously.

I tried TI flats on it originally. They were a touch brighter, which might be more the OP's cup o' tea, but the higher flexibility of the strings -- for some reason -- made it a little more difficult for me to play on a 5er. (I love the TIs on my VMJ, but the La Bellas just feel [i]right[/i] on the SR5.) I'm thinking about putting that TI set on my fretted SUB. Hmmmm. That'll keep me busy tonight.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='640504' date='Oct 29 2009, 09:16 PM']I bought a new Stingray in 1979 and it came with factory fitted flats - so Leo must have preferred them then.[/quote]

hmmmm.....we just might give this a go Howard, when I bring the Stingray back in the new year for a set up, methinks....

[quote name='ahpook' post='640470' date='Oct 29 2009, 08:31 PM']i bought some pyramid golds for my epiphone jack casady, and to be honest i prefer the sound of it with roundwounds.

i'm looking at my musicman sabre as a possible candidate for the flatties.

anyone out there using flatties with a MM ?

tbh i thought musicmans were all about twang[/quote]

flats are for flatty music

its rounds for me unless the flats are thomastik

i never used flats on my ray5...i just loved the sound without even trying them