Why become a member? ×

Who Should Get A Signature Bass?

ase_one23

after reading the thread about the james johnston signature squier and the discussion brought up about who's got one, why they're good / bad, who should have one etc.... i thought i'd start this thread:

your brief:

> come up with 2 signature basses, one high-end (£1500 max) and one low-end (£350 max). they can be for 2 different artists or both for the same.

> think of these basses like a real company would, they have to be made to appeal to buyers, ie the high end should appeal to the market that can afford it, the low end should be an encouragement to pick up a bass for the 1st time possibly.

> you can use any company, but naturally the basses should be associated with the artist(s).

> go into some details if you can about what the bass consists of, try to stick to 1 finish, electrics etc.... (photoshop jobs highly encouraged!)

> tell us why you chose this person / bass etc....

i hope this takes off! i'm going to spend today thinking about it and post later. :)

OK they only person I can think of that deserves a signature bass (& doesn't already have one) is that chap that plays bass for obviously 5 believers & skunkeye:

It'll be a fender custom shop 'new old stock' 1966 reissue mustang bass in daphne blue nitro, neck profile like a CIJ resissue, but also with nitro finsh. Aged pearl pickguard, string mutes & tug bar, hipshot vintage style lollypop tuners including a D-tuner. Original style pickup and passive electronics. Fitted with Thomastik TI-JF324 strings. Of course a silver tolex case would be included.

A squier version of the above to the standard of a classic vibe with less bells & whistles would be cool as the starter version.

:)

Tim Commerford obviously, the high end bass would be NOS body and neck, natural with maple neck and 70's headstock with custom wound pickups (one with a white p/up cover), no scratchplate, Badass II and extended thumb-rest, WITH an extra large leather Fender strap :).

Squire version would be much the same, but simpler construction, materials, and hardware

He has the appeal across the spectrum really, older players dig him for his time in RATM, the younger players (especially those starting out) for his time in Audioslave.

The all new Fender 'Matt Freeman' Road Worn 70's Precision Bass Guitar.

[attachment=35353:Matt__s_Bass.JPG]

Based on Matt's original 1977 Precision as used in operation ivy and later with his band rancid.

This bass is white with a black pickguard. Rosewood neck, varnish sanded off for super fast scales and arpeggios.

This bass will make you feel like you've been giging with it for years!

Edited by jim_bass

[quote name='jim_bass' post='640344' date='Oct 29 2009, 06:22 PM']The all new Fender 'Matt Freeman' Road Worn 70's Precision Bass Guitar.

[attachment=35353:Matt__s_Bass.JPG]

Based on Matt's original 1977 Precision as used in operation ivy and later with his band rancid.

This bass is white with a black pickguard. Rosewood neck, varnish sanded off for super fast scales and arpeggios.

This bass will make you feel like you've been giging with it for years![/quote]

+1- amazing bass player!

Kim Deal Fender Precision.
She has to be the coolest Female Bass player of all time! or at least up there-definately better than Melissa Auf der Mar, D´Arcy Wretzky, Kim Gordon, Melanie Cambell and dare I say it, gulp, Tina Weymoth.
Though I did read somewhere that she had to be told that bass strings need changing!hehe
Still, amazing player and her basslines are the heart and soul of the Pixies sound I reckon.

Based on Kim´s Fiesta/Coral red Fender Precision.
as far as I remember, It is a 62 reissue (maybe one of the 83 ones?) So would have to be modeled on this.
Worn Silver Pickguard shield obviously. and New Strings!

There could be a squier one too I guess.maybe same build as VM series Precision, just with upgraded (non Duncan) pups and obviously fiesta red, not OLY white.

Thoughts anyone?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='640246' date='Oct 29 2009, 04:59 PM']OK they only person I can think of that deserves a signature bass (& doesn't already have one) is that chap that plays bass for obviously 5 believers & skunkeye:

It'll be a fender custom shop 'new old stock' 1966 reissue mustang bass in daphne blue nitro, neck profile like a CIJ resissue, but also with nitro finsh. Aged pearl pickguard, string mutes & tug bar, hipshot vintage style lollypop tuners including a D-tuner. Original style pickup and passive electronics. Fitted with Thomastik TI-JF324 strings. Of course a silver tolex case would be included.

A squier version of the above to the standard of a classic vibe with less bells & whistles would be cool as the starter version.

:)[/quote]
I'd be your first customer.

Ok, maybe its just an Irish thing,
but what about these:

A) A Phil Lynott sig P Bass (seing as Rory Gallagher go a strat)
Obviously a black 70´s style Precision to begin with, p and J pups, Chrome mirror scratchplate.
A Squier version could simply be that Special Edition Precision Mirror one that was around a few years ago, but without the matching headstock

:) A Mike McKeegan (Therapy?) Sig Warwick Streamer Chrome Tone?
There could be a Rockbass version of this too I guess (would love a cheap chrome tone!)

C) A Mark Hamilton (Ash) Sig Gibson Thunderbird- with a special design/thinner body, bridge and neck allowing only 3 strings? seeing as he only ever has three on his TBirds at any stage.
Epiphone could put out a similar one too.

[quote name='basshead56' post='640370' date='Oct 29 2009, 06:41 PM']Kim Deal Fender Precision.
She has to be the coolest Female Bass player of all time! or at least up there-definately better than Melissa Auf der Mar, D´Arcy Wretzky, Kim Gordon, Melanie Cambell and dare I say it, gulp, Tina Weymoth.
Though I did read somewhere that she had to be told that bass strings need changing!hehe
Still, amazing player and her basslines are the heart and soul of the Pixies sound I reckon.

Based on Kim´s Fiesta/Coral red Fender Precision.
as far as I remember, It is a 62 reissue (maybe one of the 83 ones?) So would have to be modeled on this.
Worn Silver Pickguard shield obviously. and New Strings![/quote]
I like this!

-------

Are there no Victor Wooten signatures knocking about?
That yin/yang two piece thing he has going on is very cool.
Maybe Fodera do one, but really I wouldn't want to remortgage the house for it!

Edited by stefboltonfc

Lakland are keen on signature instruments so I'm proposing a middle market Lakland Skyline Mike Mills model in a nice creamy colour with maple board and an alternative white one with roseboard board. Kinda like a Bob Glaub model for people who can still get it up (just)!

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='640544' date='Oct 29 2009, 10:08 PM']The Dennis Dunaway sig model would do me! :)[/quote]
Fantastic idea but would it be this:

[attachment=35367:dunaway_jazz.jpg]

Or this?

[attachment=35368:dunaway_frogbass.jpg]

Quite tempted to get a Squier VMJ and stick mirrors & sequins all over it, which kind of gives away which one I'd prefer. :rolleyes:

Jon.

[quote name='rapscallion' post='640337' date='Oct 29 2009, 06:18 PM']Tim Commerford obviously, the high end bass would be NOS body and neck, natural with maple neck and 70's headstock with custom wound pickups (one with a white p/up cover), no scratchplate, Badass II and extended thumb-rest, WITH an extra large leather Fender strap :).

Squire version would be much the same, but simpler construction, materials, and hardware

He has the appeal across the spectrum really, older players dig him for his time in RATM, the younger players (especially those starting out) for his time in Audioslave.[/quote]

yeah, he should have one. A bit of a bass god in my eyes.

Also, I'd love to see a Larry Graham sig like the sunburst Fender you can see on the sleeve of There's a Riot going on maybe an aged model.

[quote name='basshead56' post='640392' date='Oct 29 2009, 07:05 PM']A) A Phil Lynott sig P Bass (seing as Rory Gallagher go a strat)
Obviously a black 70´s style Precision to begin with, p and J pups, Chrome mirror scratchplate.
A Squier version could simply be that Special Edition Precision Mirror one that was around a few years ago, but without the matching headstock[/quote]
There actually was a Phil Lynott sig bass, but it was only released in Japan, for some unknown reason.......

Oh, another Irish bassist who should have a sig, Barry Devlin.

70's Jazz Bass, Sunburst, Black pickguard(or tort), maple fingerboard with black blocks and binding, FRETLESS. :)

Probably a bit too obvious and not exciting but I personally think Jeff Ament is due a signature bass. That said he tends to change basses a lot so that makes the whole thing pointless.

I would personally love a Geezer Butler signature model, since he is with Lakland I'm surprised its not been done already.

Some Squier level Nick Oliveri thing would be fun as well

John Deacon Precision Bass, Fender 'Tribute' Natural, Rosewood, Tortie and Black, Rosewood, Bwb as the colourways.
It would be priced and appeal to the age groups who loved queen, as well as the generation who are just discovering them.

As for a cheap sig model, i would say squier are hitting the nail on the head with that classic vibe Biffy Clyro bass.
But, Chris Wolstenholme from Muse should deffo get one too, if he could settle one one bass, haha.
All the kids in our shop play his lines, a wicked and often overlooked guy. And thats from me who doesn't like Muse that much!

Has Bernard Edwards got a signature bass?

MM stingray with writing on the neck could sell for a few more $

Not sure what budget MM copies are around these days, I have (out on permanent loan) a Tanglewood MM copy from years back which is a great budget bass