Why become a member? ×

A quick visit to The Gallery

Sibob

I had an interview in London yesterday (find out on Friday....fingers crossed), and afterwards I decided to take a trip to The Gallery as I haven't been there in a long while.
I phoned prior to my interview to see if they had any Custom Shop Jazz basses in stock, so I could have a look and a play, they had one active one....so although it isn't what I want, I figured I could check out the build quality.

Anyway, here's my little run down of the few basses I tried, all played through a Mark Bass 'Berlin' amp with a 15" speaker:

1) [b]2nd Hand Custom Shop Active Jazz Bass[/b] - I was a bit disappointed because I was really hoping to get a good idea of what to expect from a CS if I decide to go down the route of ordering one, unfortunately this was VERY 2nd hand and the neck was pretty beat up (no it wasn't a relic :lol: ), dead strings, and the poor Fender preamp definitly wasn't happening. I'll hold out for a good example of a passive one to get an idea.
[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/images/fendercustomclassic.jpg"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/images/fendercustomclassic.jpg[/url]

2) [b]Zon Sonus 5 string[/b] - This was sat on top of the Berlin amp, so I had to have a go having never tried a Zon. Stunningly made......that's about all I have to say. To be fair I don't get on with narrow string spacing, but it really wasn't sparking me at all. The bart electronics were severely uninspiring and under-powered. Not a great introduction to Zon I'm afraid.
[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/zonsonus5.html"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/zonsonus5.html[/url]

3) [b]Nash 60's Jazz Bass[/b] - Not sure of the exact model, but this was a 60's vibe jazz with a Fender headstock logo, very heavily reliced with a slightly out of place stack-knob arrangement. I say out of place because they didn't look old like the rest of the bass and the lower rings were black, with the upper knobs chrome, didn't look right :). Played and sounded fantastic though, very fast neck as the finish was down to the wood from about the first fret to just before the heel. Real growly with the bridge pickup solo'd and nice and balanced with both pickups on. Lovely stuff @ £1250

4) [b]Sadowsky Metro MV4[/b] - I think it was an MV4 anyway, Ash body, maple FB, dots & white scratchplate. The bass was obviously built brilliantly, the ash of the body and the lacquer that finished it were a joy to look at & hold, the wet-look of the body was a stark contrast to the neck though, which was a very plain maple finished in, what I'm guessing, a satin finish, almost looked unfinished, very 'matt'. The bass sounded fantastic though, it took me about 1 minute to find a tone that was very useable, thick yet growly. The preamp was extremely versatile (aside from one dodgy pot) and overall I was very very impressed. I'd be interested in trying it in a gig setting, because depending on it's sound in the mix, I'd definitly consider one.......and I hate active basses lol. £1799 though.....harsh

5) [b]Lakland DJ 4[/b] - Natural finish. Not going to spend to much time on this, same as in the shop. Apart from the E string sounding quite nice, this was pretty average. Ash wasn't as nice as the Sadowsky, uninspired sound and feel....so I put it back lol.

6) [b]Sei Series1 6[/b] - Singlecut 6 string with Bartolinis. Beautifully made, we all know that, the fingerboard was wiiiide and flat, it actually felt amazing to play and I was quite at home over the 6 strings very quickly. I love the SC body shape, and If ever presented with the opportunity (or rather a band that it was appropriate in), I'd definitly go down that route, really comfortable. The sound was severely lacking though, just really really average Bart electronics (is there a pattern developing?). So yeah, great craftsmanship and amazing neck!
[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/seisingle6.html"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/seisingle6.html[/url]

7) [b]2009 US Fender Jazz[/b] - Old faithful obviously, nothing spectacular here, although....huh....a considerable amount of flame on the neck!? Very nice. Played nice, instant great tone, not quite as nice as my 2003 Jazz, but still a great bass that I'd definitly look at if I wanted another US Jazz.

8) [b]Fender Highway One Jazz[/b] - Very similar sound and feel to the '09 Jazz....You'd expect that I guess, it's the same spec apart from the finish, and that's why I wouldn't buy it. I was scared to play the bass in the shop lol, it looked like it would dent if I looked at it. Great sound and feel but not a gigging instrument in my eyes, not if you like to retain some of the sunburst finish :rolleyes:.
[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/fenderjazzhw1.html"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/fenderjazzhw1.html[/url]

So that's it really, had a good time, the Sadowsky was the run away winner for me out of the 8. The '09 Jazz and the Nash were great and close 2nd, I was pleasantly surprised by both of them. The Zon & the Sei, for me at least, were examples of basses needing to be more than just pretty and well made to be a great instrument.

Cheers
Si

Always interesting to read what other people gravitate towards in shops; apart from Loz's Sei all of those would have been some of the last things I'd have gone for in the Gallery! I keep thinking I should revisit Sadowsky, but I really struggle with the looks; I really can't stand the insipid looking necks amongst other things.

[quote name='4000' post='621285' date='Oct 9 2009, 08:36 AM']Always interesting to read what other people gravitate towards in shops; apart from Loz's Sei all of those would have been some of the last things I'd have gone for in the Gallery! I keep thinking I should revisit Sadowsky, but I really struggle with the looks; I really can't stand the insipid looking necks amongst other things.[/quote]

I definitly know what you mean about the necks, I guess that's what the US models have over the Metro's, some nice birdseye here and there. But aside from looks, the neck was great to play!. And the body more than made up for what the neck lacked aesthetically :)

Yeah the Nash was a natural finish......but really beaten up/relic'd.

There was a beautiful Celinder Jazz daphne blue 4 string hanging up, but I ran out of time, and at £5000 there wasn't really much point in having a go lol. Plus the Barts probably sucked :rolleyes:
[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/celindervint4.html"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/celindervint4.html[/url]

Si

Great review Sibob

I tried that Celinder - it's amazingly good if, ahem, spenny. Really the best jazz in the place - a similar beef to the tone of my old Nash (the red one which has gone to Richardd not the natural that's there at the moment).

I tried the DJ too - I remember liking one I played about 5 years ago but was very underwhelmed by the one there. It had no life or balls in it for some reason.

Did you try Adam Clayton's Oly White 65 J? That was a nice bass with a beautiful thin old neck. Again, expensive... I just bought a Bravewood which has exactly that profile - utterly awesome jazz bass...

Nick

[quote name='Cairobill' post='621468' date='Oct 9 2009, 11:38 AM']Great review Sibob[/quote]

+1 But trying 8 basses is hardly a quick visit now is it? I don't think a quick visit to the gallery is possible as they're so cool in there and they've got such nice gear.

Oh yeah - I tried that Zon - it was a bit polite which is probably down to the pre. I had a fretless Special which sounded great and is doing the rounds on basschat...

I've got a Zon but the Polyfusion pre has been swapped out for a McKeen pre and it sounds amazing. Huge with the real presence and a bit of growl if you hit it right. A good Zon is an amazing bass...

I really like the Gallery - they are very straight shooters...

Nick

Edited by Cairobill

[quote name='Sibob' post='621093' date='Oct 8 2009, 10:23 PM']... 4) [b]Sadowsky Metro MV4[/b] - I think it was an MV4 anyway, Ash body, maple FB, dots & white scratchplate. The bass was obviously built brilliantly, the ash of the body and the lacquer that finished it were a joy to look at & hold, the wet-look of the body was a stark contrast to the neck though, which was a very plain maple finished in, what I'm guessing, a satin finish, almost looked unfinished, very 'matt'. The bass sounded fantastic though, it took me about 1 minute to find a tone that was very useable, thick yet growly. The preamp was extremely versatile (aside from one dodgy pot) and overall I was very very impressed. I'd be interested in trying it in a gig setting, because depending on it's sound in the mix, I'd definitly consider one.......and I hate active basses lol. £1799 though.....harsh[/quote]

Sadowskys are great basses and, as it's been said many times , it's in the mix where the Sadowskies really shine so, if you liked it when you tried it, you'll be pleasantly surprised how good they sound in a band situation.

Edited by PauBass

[quote]+1 But trying 8 basses is hardly a quick visit now is it[/quote]
Haha, I guess I was there for an hour, maybe an hour 15. You're right though, you could literally spend all day A/Bing basses :)

[quote]Did you try Adam Clayton's Oly White 65 J?[/quote]
No, I saw it hanging there, and it did look inviting, but it had the pickup covers on, and I can never ever get comfortable with them, so gave it a miss.

[quote]Sadowskys are great basses and, as it's been said many times , it's in the mix where the Sadowskies really shine so, if you liked it when you tried it, you'll be pleasantly surprise how good they sound in a band situation.[/quote]
Yeah I'm thinking this is probably true. I'd be very interested in trying one at a show.....does anyone have a Metro in the london/bucks/berks/oxon area? lol

Si

Hi Si,

Thanks for that breakdown and especially because I am super interested in the single cut Sei bass :) Can you elaborate further for me what was lacking in the sound? I love the fact that it has a wide, flat neck, which is what I wanted to hear but the electronics bother me. I have never owned a bass with Barts in and to be honest, I haven't heard that many great reports about them, but if you could tell me you exact thoughts on the tonal range, I would appreciate that.

Speak soon and take care.

Cheers,

Matt

P.S. Do you reckon it os worth every penny of the £1900.00 price tag?

[quote name='mattbass6' post='622343' date='Oct 10 2009, 11:28 AM']Hi Si,

Thanks for that breakdown and especially because I am super interested in the single cut Sei bass :) Can you elaborate further for me what was lacking in the sound? I love the fact that it has a wide, flat neck, which is what I wanted to hear but the electronics bother me. I have never owned a bass with Barts in and to be honest, I haven't heard that many great reports about them, but if you could tell me you exact thoughts on the tonal range, I would appreciate that.

Speak soon and take care.

Cheers,

Matt

P.S. Do you reckon it os worth every penny of the £1900.00 price tag?[/quote]

I've played Lozbass's Sei too and it is indeed what I would describe as a very polite-sounding bass; very pure and natural-sounding. I would imagine in its current format it wouldn't be the best bass for rock (I could be wrong), but unless you want a fairly/very aggressive sound I imagine that purity could sit very well in a track. Obviously it's difficult to describe these things as everybody perceives these things differently. Bear in mind even if you weren't happy with the pickups you could maybe swap them out for something else, or change the pre (assuming it has one; if not you could add one, or if it's the Schack you could change the settings. I'm sure Martin Petersen would be able to advise).

One thing I will say is that I've had 3 Seis with Barts in and they've all sounded completely different, as you would expect from the different construction. They have all also sounded completely different to my Pedulla MVP, which also had Barts. Anyone who thinks that all basses with Barts in them sound the same can't be listening very hard or has very different ears to me. My current 5 isn't what I would call polite, it's actually very growly indeed. Loz's bass sounds very different to any of the ones I've had. I'm sure Loz can add a great deal to thoughts about the sound of the bass.

I would suggest if you're interested that you try first and also discuss with Lozbass and Martin Petersen, but it's certainly a beautiful instrument.

[quote name='4000' post='622352' date='Oct 10 2009, 11:47 AM']I've played Lozbass's Sei too and it is indeed what I would describe as a very polite-sounding bass; very pure and natural-sounding. I would imagine in its current format it wouldn't be the best bass for rock (I could be wrong), but unless you want a fairly/very aggressive sound I imagine that purity could sit very well in a track. Obviously it's difficult to describe these things as everybody perceives these things differently. Bear in mind even if you weren't happy with the pickups you could maybe swap them out for something else, or change the pre (assuming it has one; if not you could add one, or if it's the Schack you could change the settings. I'm sure Martin Petersen would be able to advise).

One thing I will say is that I've had 3 Seis with Barts in and they've all sounded completely different, as you would expect from the different construction. They have all also sounded completely different to my Pedulla MVP, which also had Barts. Anyone who thinks that all basses with Barts in them sound the same can't be listening very hard or has very different ears to me. My current 5 isn't what I would call polite, it's actually very growly indeed. Loz's bass sounds very different to any of the ones I've had. I'm sure Loz can add a great deal to thoughts about the sound of the bass.

I would suggest if you're interested that you try first and also discuss with Lozbass and Martin Petersen, but it's certainly a beautiful instrument.[/quote]

Thank you so much. I understand that with any bass, depending on woods and construction, sounds will vary but I wanted to find out the general opinion on Barts. I am looking for that attack kind of sound being in a rock band and I drive my bass through an MXR M-80 DI pedal as well for that extra bit of dirt, so to speak. The pups and pre-amp on my Yamaha are gritty if they need to be and same with the MEC's on my Warwick, so "polite" sounding pups probably wouldn't be the way for me to go. If I am going to spend £1900.00 as well and I know this is 2nd hand, I really don't want to go down the route of changing electronics etc at that stage. I know Alex and Martin, so next time I pop up to London, I will definitely drop in and try this bass out, it looks exquisite :)

Thanks again and speak soon. Take care.

Cheers,

Matt

Bear in mind my comments re the sound are based on the way I play; the bass may sound completely different in your hands (and your perception of aggressive may be different than mine). Definitely give it a try, and have a chat with both Martin and Loz. Martin may be able to suggest something.

FWIW I'd happily use my Sei 5 in a rock band and that has Barts.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='mattbass6' post='622357' date='Oct 10 2009, 11:55 AM']Thank you so much. I understand that with any bass, depending on woods and construction, sounds will vary but I wanted to find out the general opinion on Barts.[/quote]
Matt,
I've got Bartolinis in both my Zons and, to my ears, they're really growly & (IMO) have a sound that's really suited for the sort of music you play - not sterile & hi-fi sounding like many active pickup/preamp combinations but with much more bite & definition than a passive pickup.
My basses have both got the stock Polyfusion circuits (9 volt in the fretless & 18 volt in the fretted) & I find these circuits to have a warmth to them I've not heard in other active circuits.
Personally I think they're the best bass pickups you can get, but as you know this stuff is really subjective.
(Having said all that, I think the Zon pickups are custom models made especially for Zon, so I don't know how these differ from standard Bartolinis).

Edited by RhysP

FWIW, Lemmy happily used Barts in his Ricks for many years and he's anything but sterile or polite sounding! I don't think it's necessarily that Barts are polite sounding, I guess it's more the type (there are many), the bass they're in, and the player.

Edited by 4000

what is the form here... do you go to these places and tell them you are going to review their stock..or ask them..?

We all talk about genral stuff and what we like etc, but I just thought this was too specific.. unless with permission..

Just wondering...

[quote name='mattbass6' post='622343' date='Oct 10 2009, 11:28 AM']Thanks for that breakdown and especially because I am super interested in the single cut Sei bass :) Can you elaborate further for me what was lacking in the sound? I love the fact that it has a wide, flat neck, which is what I wanted to hear but the electronics bother me. I have never owned a bass with Barts in and to be honest, I haven't heard that many great reports about them, but if you could tell me you exact thoughts on the tonal range, I would appreciate that.[/quote]

PMd with some (hopefully useful) further details

Cheers, Lozbass

[quote name='JTUK' post='622817' date='Oct 11 2009, 12:16 AM']what is the form here... do you go to these places and tell them you are going to review their stock..or ask them..?

We all talk about genral stuff and what we like etc, but I just thought this was too specific.. unless with permission..

Just wondering...[/quote]

I think it's important to realise my little reviews were a 'testing hour for personal pleasure' and not in-depth analysis likely to sway or have vast influence on popular opinion :)
I don't think the gallery would mind at all me posting my thoughts, simply because they themselves know that everything is purely subjective. If you base your purchasing choices on my opinions, that's your problem, not mine lol.

With regards to the Sei 6 string, I would probably say Yes, it is worth the pricetag for the craftsmanship alone, the sheer amount of wood that you're getting is staggering lol. But in my humble opinion, the pickups and pre were greatly underpowered and very very polite. If I had a bass that looked like that, I'd want to be making a much bigger sonic statement as well, otherwise you might as well just get a Squier and whack some barts and a pre in it :rolleyes:. Get some more lively and inspiring 'leccys in there and it will be a stunning bass in the right hands!

Si

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I popped in there yesterday for the first time and got to play a Sei bass (for the first time) - a fretless 5 string. It was immaculately made but just wouldn't sit on my lap at all (massive neckdive).

Apart from the usual hazards (a young guy slapping and making clanking noises while his mother looked on) it seemed a nice shop (with a very harassed, unhappy- looking shop assistant glued to the computer while frantically trying to answer phone calls).