Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Bass 1965 / L Series / Olympic White

pepone2401

Hi guys

I'm introducing my basses one by one...
First One.
Let's have a look at this Fender Precision Bass "L" Series made in 1965.
It has never been gigged and still has the original set of strings that were
settled on the Fender factory.
Hard to believe ???
Of course you can think that, but it has been examined by Georges Gruhn
and he confirms the facts.
I think the pictures will speak better than me...

All the pictures in the following link:
[url="http://gs54.photobucket.com/groups/g115/7M5WCW5JH6/?start=all"]http://gs54.photobucket.com/groups/g115/7M...5JH6/?start=all[/url]

SOME PICTURES:

That is quite something. I'm not Fender's No1 fan by any means (unlike some who will be along to ooh and aah in a min) but that is a classic.

Worth a pretty penny I've no doubt.

The fact that I've got it's 09 twin (AV 62 Re-issue) might elevate my appreciation somewhat :) They really are remarkably similar.

Welcome too btw.

Nice one. I hope you're NOT playing it live. Please don't do that!!

If it's never been played and with the original strings and accessories you've got a museum piece there, a potential gold mine! Knock the paint off something else and appreciate this one for what it really is, a cracking investment piece.

[quote name='chris_b' post='618363' date='Oct 6 2009, 11:14 AM']Nice one. I hope you're NOT playing it live. Please don't do that!!

If it's never been played and with the original strings and accessories you've got a museum piece there, a potential gold mine! Knock the paint off something else and appreciate this one for what it really is, a cracking investment piece.[/quote]

I'd go with that, seems a shame to ding it after all these years. If it is [quote]ones that didn't sound great and so didn't get used[/quote] then it doesn't matter. Museum piece sounds okay.

Normally I'm of the opinion that a bass should be played as it was designed to do, regardless of the age. But in this case, it's in such amazing condition, it's gotten passed the point of being worth it lol. Keep it safe and that is a lovely family heirloom or pension! :).
Especially if it's a bit of a dog to play haha

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='618387' date='Oct 6 2009, 11:25 AM']Normally I'm of the opinion that a bass should be played as it was designed to do, regardless of the age. But in this case, it's in such amazing condition, it's gotten passed the point of being worth it lol. Keep it safe and that is a lovely family heirloom or pension! :).

Si[/quote]

I can see your point but can't help thinking that if it's unplayed and hung on the wall it might as well be made of plastic. The basses that go on the walls sould be those with history, Jaco's, Jamerson's etc :rolleyes:

[quote name='Beedster' post='618224' date='Oct 6 2009, 09:50 AM']Welcome to BC. Lovely bass, but I can't help thinking it's a shame it's never been gigged. Hope you're playing it and that it isn't just sitting in a glass case somewhere :)
Chris[/quote]

Oups !!!!

Sorry... But.... it's the case !!!!

As soon I've bougth it... before it arrives home, I was thinking in setting a set of
good Rotosound Swing Bass strings.... But... as soon as I've opened the case, I've
understood that I couldn't to do that !!! It's a World heritage that belongs to
mankind... I'm considering myself as the happy temporary guard of the treasure...
Anyway... I've got other basses of that kind... and I do play with them !!!!
Tank you for your comments !!!

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='618225' date='Oct 6 2009, 09:50 AM']That is quite something. I'm not Fender's No1 fan by any means (unlike some who will be along to ooh and aah in a min) but that is a classic.

Worth a pretty penny I've no doubt.

The fact that I've got it's 09 twin (AV 62 Re-issue) might elevate my appreciation somewhat :lol: They really are remarkably similar.

Welcome too btw.[/quote]

Thanks for the comments (bellow too)... I believe that this bass must be kept just as it is !!!!

[quote name='bigthumb' post='618271' date='Oct 6 2009, 10:19 AM']:lol: ohhhh aahhhh

That is quite something![/quote]

James Jamerson would have been happy to play with it... It's his kind of sound !!!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='618292' date='Oct 6 2009, 10:30 AM']Never been gigged?

It looks like it's never been played!

That is astonishing, but I'm with Beedster on this one - take it up on stage with you. :lol:[/quote]

No :lol: I won't !!!! :lol:

[quote name='alexclaber' post='618334' date='Oct 6 2009, 10:52 AM']I just hope it doesn't fit with my theory that mint condition vintage instruments are the ones that didn't sound great and so didn't get used! Looks very nice though.

Alex[/quote]

It's sound is powerful but it has those 44 years old Fender Flat strings and the ruber mute under the bridge cover,
and I must admit that I'm not used with such a layout. Anyway, the neck is wonderfully comfortable, straight
like an arrow. There is no doubt that it would be a wonderful instrumet to play with...

[quote name='chris_b' post='618363' date='Oct 6 2009, 11:14 AM']Nice one. I hope you're NOT playing it live. Please don't do that!!

If it's never been played and with the original strings and accessories you've got a museum piece there, a potential gold mine! Knock the paint off something else and appreciate this one for what it really is, a cracking investment piece.[/quote]

I agree with you....

[quote name='Sibob' post='618387' date='Oct 6 2009, 11:25 AM']Normally I'm of the opinion that a bass should be played as it was designed to do, regardless of the age. But in this case, it's in such amazing condition, it's gotten passed the point of being worth it lol. Keep it safe and that is a lovely family heirloom or pension! :rolleyes:.

Si[/quote]
:lol:

For all the other... thank to each one for your greetings of welcome !!!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='618700' date='Oct 6 2009, 02:58 PM']Very very nice. Gawd only knows how much it's worth now, complete with the original case & strings, etc... :)[/quote]

Who nows the price of everithing but the value of nothing ???? :rolleyes:

I think in a price for this bass but I think no one would pay it, at least for for the moment...