Why become a member? ×

Anyone Ever Been Too Drunk Or Stoned?

Pete Academy

Sorry guys, I'm on a roll here.

I don't take drugs, but during a 35-year career I've done quite a few gigs fairly pissed. However, I've always got through it...apart from one in particular:

It was a funk band doing a private party in a marquee. We were due on at 9.30pm but it was delayed until 11pm. The drinks were free, and there was a certain punch being served, called 'Spiny Norman' - a mixture of many alcoholic beverages.

Anyway, by the time we were due on, I was leathered. I couldn't get up out of my seat. A band member carried me to the stage. I put my bass on and then almost fell onto my stack and through the tent. The band kicked in ( a Barry White number). I started playing about 2 bars behind and with all the wrong notes, whilst leaning on my stack. I carried on throughout the whole set in the same manner.

At the end of the gig someone came up and congratulated the band on a great performance!

Cue more stories.

last week! :)

We played a local brannigans (It was paying, who are we too be picky!) and drinks where half price. Got on stage feeling a bit wobbly and started playing, All was fine untill the end of the last song, where we all somehow ended up going into a VERY abstract blues jam. 13 Bar if you will. Half of our friends, Also drunk, Said it was like watching hendrix jam. The other half, decidedly more sober, said it was like watching three apes with guitars! heh.

Did a Christmas party back in 2006 IIRC where the free bar destroyed me by the first set. I kept wobbling back into the mic for the guitarist and it made some awful noises, so instead of moving away from it I told the rest of the band to f**k off, several times. They swear blind I also told audience members to f**k off but I didn't, I may have been battered but I'm never that rude and I didn't lose my memory! Didn't play too well but the room was so boomy I doubt anyone noticed anyway.... :)

Oh loads of gigs where I couldn't even see my hand infront of my face, too many to count.

I remember one where I borrowed someone's guitar rig (our guitarist couldn't make it so I played guitar and our singer played my bass, we shared vox), he had a huge pedal board set up and I'd accidentally stepped on half of them before I even played a note, couldn't see well enough to figure out which ones were on or off, so just went ahead and played the set. Afterwards a punter came up to me and told me it was the best guitar playing he'd ever heard. I can't play guitar for toffee even when I'm sober. :)

I remember another gig I ended up stage-diving to my own band, I think I'd given my bass to some girl to play. Later on I needed stitches in my forearm but can't remember what happened.

And there was another gig during quite a long mini-tour where we had one song that had quite a long breakdown in the middle with not much happening on the bass, and I'd sat down for it for fear of falling down if I didn't, and I managed to fall asleep. :rolleyes:

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='613289' date='Sep 30 2009, 09:17 PM']Oh loads of gigs where I couldn't even see my hand infront of my face, too many to count.

I remember one where I borrowed someone's guitar rig (our guitarist couldn't make it so I played guitar and our singer played my bass, we shared vox), he had a huge pedal board set up and I'd accidentally stepped on half of them before I even played a note, couldn't see well enough to figure out which ones were on or off, so just went ahead and played the set. Afterwards a punter came up to me and told me it was the best guitar playing he'd ever heard. I can't play guitar for toffee even when I'm sober. :)

I remember another gig I ended up stage-diving to my own band, I think I'd given my bass to some girl to play. Later on I needed stitches in my forearm but can't remember what happened.

And there was another gig during quite a long mini-tour where we had one song that had quite a long breakdown in the middle with not much happening on the bass, and I'd sat down for it for fear of falling down if I didn't, and I managed to fall asleep. :lol:[/quote]

:rolleyes: Love it!

Not me personally but another member of the band I was in a the time...

1984. I was playing in an all synth band (just posted a photo in another thread here) and having spent 3 months writing and recording new material we had a series of local gigs lined up. The first was a University Halls party which we had taken a lot of hard work to get and was hopefully going to be our entry into the lucrative Nottingham University Party roster where there was some serious money to be made as well as some cool name bands to support.

All went well at the mid-afternoon sound check, the new material sounded great. We were all set to go back home to grab a bite to eat and get changed when two friends of one of the keyboard players showed up. He decided to hang out with his mates while the rest of us headed back. Several hours later we returned ready to play to discover that our band-mate and his friends were completely pissed. In retrospect the best thing we could have done would have been to ply him with more drink until he passed out and done the gig without him. However instead we attempted to sober him up to get on stage. The gig was a disaster. Our drunken member played random notes throughout each one accompanied with much celebration. Had to leave the stage half way through the gig to go for a piss (which he announced to the audience first). His equally drunken friends shouted for one song (a cover of Nancy Sinatra's "Summer Wine" which we used to do as an encore) all the way through the set and scared away the rest of the audience. And then managed to damage one of the PA speakers which led to one of them being thrown across to room by the sound man.

Needless to say we never got another gig at the University again.

Never too pissed to play. Often too pissed to play competently.

Was once (rightly) ticked off by a very well-mannered drummer: "It's unprofessional to have two people in the band talking to the audience. That's the frontman's job. And telling the punters that our guitarist makes Carlos Santana look like a c**t is [i]just not on[/i]."

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='613336' date='Sep 30 2009, 09:57 PM']Never too pissed to play. Often too pissed to play competently.

Was once (rightly) ticked off by a very well-mannered drummer: "It's unprofessional to have two people in the band talking to the audience. That's the frontman's job. And telling the punters that our guitarist makes Carlos Santana look like a c**t is [i]just not on[/i]."[/quote]

:) :rolleyes:

I was out with my brother on his birthday, got a call from the band (about 6 hours into the session) to ask me if i was up for a jam night at Flaming Henrys (local food place which does open mic), I remember gimme all your lovin, just not the other 2 songs. :)

But apart from that time, ive always managed to play no matter how under the influence of various substances i was.

Some great stories here. I sadly have to admit that historically I only play well when I've had a few (and I have the recordings to prove it); it seems I can't relax enough without having a couple or several down me. I once played a 2 setter where I couldn't remember anything about the second set at all, but that's about as bad as it gets. Although I did once offer another band out; yep, the entire band. They passed, luckily for me! I don't remember the event at all (I was [i]incredibly[/i] drunk at the time), but my mates all couldn't wait to tell me the next day.

Edited by 4000

I'd have to say no to the question.
I don't do drugs (never have really, never felt the need).
I do like a drink but not when I'm working (i.e., gigging) which also means I'll be driving!
No amount of having a drunken or stoned 'good time' is worth losing my driving licence for.
But I also don't preach to others about the dangers, pitfalls, whatever, of drink and drugs - hey, it's your life and/or liver!
I probably just wouldn't be working for long with someone who was forever falling down (literally) on the gig.
The world is not laughing [i]with[/i] you... :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='613336' date='Sep 30 2009, 09:57 PM']Was once (rightly) ticked off by a very well-mannered drummer: "It's unprofessional to have two people in the band talking to the audience. That's the frontman's job. And telling the punters that our guitarist makes Carlos Santana look like a c**t is [i]just not on[/i]."[/quote]

Excellent! :rolleyes:

[quote name='4000' post='613358' date='Sep 30 2009, 10:14 PM']I did once offer another band out; yep, the entire band. They passed, luckily for me![/quote]

I remember once warming up backstage and smoking a fag, when the singer from the other band on the bill came along, gave me a disgusted look and said "Can you put that out?". I said "Yeah if you ask me nicely I will", whereupon he took the cigarette out of my hand and stood on it. I've always been a fairly scrawny geezer and I've had bigger guys try this sort of thing on with me all my life, so I - sitting with my bass (1995 USA Jazz) across my lap - stood up and pushed it with both hands into his face, trapping his head against the wall behind him, and started kneeing him repeatedly in the nuts. Both bands immediately waded in and while their band was all bodybuilders ultimately there were four of them and ten of us. Their singer and bassist went on stage that night with fat lips and black eyes.

I spent many a nervous night after that hoping not to bump into any of them on my own. :)

On my 17th birthday I did nothing but eat cake and drink stella. I think I'd had about 9 or 10 cans by the time band practice came along. I vividly remember playing along then projectile vomiting in the bin. Delightful.

We had a few gigs with our singer too pissed to sing. I remember we'd all set up and were asking the crowd where Kieran was when suddenly he stumbeld from behind us, triped over the guitar amp and fell flat on his face. He spent the rest of the gig roaring in some poor girls face.

He also decided to join in during our last gig even though he'd already left the band (Also very very inebriated)
(around 6:20)

Did two gigs in one night with a country/blues guitarist i used to regularly work with. First gig was excellent, and there was free booze. Second gig was a blues jam, so I got totally, totally sh*t-faced after the first gig. I remember setting up my amp in a totally inappropriate place on the stage, sitting down behind it, closing my eyes and opening them when my fingers started to hurt after 2 hours of walking lines.

I still get complemented and hired off the back of that gig because I didn't overplay and didn't upstage the frontline players. I guess they mistook indecision for carefully thought out minimalist playing. Easy!!

Dan

Once, many moons ago in my youth, I was well into the weed in a big way and was in a trip rock, Hawkwindy style band that got booked to headline a bike show - we got there nice and early in the afternoon, lovely sunny day and as the band were all serious stoners proceeded to get well wasted - weed, beer and maybe other substances too - who knows!! By the time we're meant to go on i am soooo caned after about 8 hours of solid substance abuse that I can barely stand and after strapping my bass on have to straight away sit on my amp as my legs had stopped working. I then remember (vaguely) playing the first note of the first song...and then looking up and it was the end of the gig. but that is it! - absolutely no memory of anything inbetween, despite the fact that we (apparently!) played a full two hour set!! no one ever said what my playing was like but hey, there were no complaints as i guess everyone else was in the same state!!

not good though, and since then (approx 20 years ago) i never drink or smok weed before or during a gig. kids eh!!

peace

c

Are you sat on top of a LittleMark there?

[quote name='leschirons' post='613405' date='Sep 30 2009, 10:56 PM']No story, this pic says it all. Stupid grin, having to sit down. (At this point we were 4 bars into the intro and I should have been around the 9th fret.

A little impromptu jazzy blues gig at an Irish pub in Gueret. Free wine and beer for the band.[/quote]

We once played a friend of a friends party at our local conservative club where we were offered free drinks all night. We take advantage of this.
We start and immediately get complaints from neighbours either side about the noise, one of whom claimed pictures were falling off her wall.
After 2 songs the bartender literally runs over and asks me to tell everyone to turn down... Guitarist asks "what did he say?", my reply "can't hear the guitar mate", set continues at fult tilt.
Next thing the singer has spat a gobful of beer/spit/phlegm into a ceiling fan and soaked everyone/everything in a 10m radius, cue call to the police, our departure and 'aftershow party' at a nearby friends house. Pretty much the best gig I've played.

I've never had the pleasure of such an experience sober, nevermind drunk. But I have seen it.

A fair few years ago I went to see a pretty famous band (I won't say which one) with some friends. We were having a number of drinks in the bar before the show when the drummer came staggering in. He walked up to the bar (as best he could) ordered a pint and 2 doubles, then quickly downed them as we had a brief conversation with him. He then staggered back out to prepare for the gig.

It was quite an eye opener to say the least. Having seen the band so many times, it makes you wonder if he does it before every gig. He's always spot on though. Bags of energy and well timed. I suppose some people build up a tolerance.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='613420' date='Sep 30 2009, 11:11 PM']Yeah I should point out that all my stories were before I was 21, and I'm always straight on stage these days, wouldn't think of drinking or anything else before a show.[/quote]
I've never had a drink before a gig (mainly because i've not had a gig since i turned legal), but i tend to loosen up a bit at band practice after a drink or two, but not so much that my playing suffers (much). Onr of my bands practices at a social club you see :)

Edited by budget bassist