Why become a member? ×

Spector Euro vs NS

davidmpires

I was talking to another bass chatter today about our Spector's EuroLX, and we both fancy the NS, but because we never tried one, we don't know if we are only being taken by the hype.
Does anyone here owns both? Cetera?
Are NS twice as good? I've played some nices basses in my time and I have to say that the craftmanship on my Euro is up there with the best. But the price difference sugests NS as being twice as good as an Euro? Or is it that the US tag makes it twice as expensive?

Any coments will be appreciatted.

David

I think that with any instrument you buy it is a case of diminishing returns, so no it won't be twice as good, it'll certainly be better and made of better components with more attention to detail, but the only thing that will be twice as much will be the price, and possibly our expectations :)

Edited by ezbass

When I bought my Euro 5LX I a/b'd it against a number of other Spectors, including a couple of US ones. I vastly preferred the Euro I bought to any of the others. Why? Played the same, looked nicer, sounded miles better. Like anything else, it's what [i]you[/i] like that matters, not where it's made or how much it costs. I'd try before you buy. Every individual instrument is different, and the only way you can decide which you prefer is by playing a few.

I tried both a couple of times at the start of the year when looking for a new bass. The Euro was great, and very tempting, but the NS was beautiful in every way!

To me, I wouldn't measure it as 'is this twice as good', but it just felt like pure and total quality. If I could have stretched to the (secondhand) price tag I'd have bitten someones arm off for it, but then I really appreciate things of great quality in life.

[quote name='Golchen' post='602090' date='Sep 18 2009, 11:28 AM']I tried both a couple of times at the start of the year when looking for a new bass. The Euro was great, and very tempting, but the NS was beautiful in every way!

To me, I wouldn't measure it as 'is this twice as good', but it just felt like pure and total quality. If I could have stretched to the (secondhand) price tag I'd have bitten someones arm off for it, but then I really appreciate things of great quality in life.[/quote]

What did you buy in the end?

Having owned a Euro LX and now an NS I'd say that the NS is worth the extra, but in my case walnut wings gives a deeper sound than the usual maple I believe and the cut and boost pre is better than a Tone Pump.

I was playing the NS last night at band practice and was falling ever deeper in love, especially with the bridge pickup growl.

Twice as good? Impossible to use that analogy unless the LX was totally pants which it isn't by any means.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='602199' date='Sep 18 2009, 01:34 PM']Having owned a Euro LX and now an NS I'd say that the NS is worth the extra, but in my case walnut wings gives a deeper sound than the usual maple I believe and the cut and boost pre is better than a Tone Pump.

I was playing the NS last night at band practice and was falling ever deeper in love, especially with the bridge pickup growl.

Twice as good? Impossible to use that analogy unless the LX was totally pants which it isn't by any means.[/quote]

Are you based in Kent by any means? :)

I'm considering changing the tone pump for a pre with cut/boost, but other than that I love my bass, it's just gorgeous.

"Twice as good" no.

The Euro's I've tried, and even Matt (Machine's) old holo flash have been superb basses, and Alan's (Homer) original Euro 5, aired at one of the very early Bassworld bashes was utterly jaw droppingly beautiful.

However, a few days ago I tried Peter's new NS as mentioned above. Lordy, that thing is a piece of art, absolutely unreal. Just holding it you can feel the quality oozing from it's pores. Plug in, and you're in for a truly magic bass experience. Worth every penny of it's expensive price tag, and hopefully, Peter will cherrish it for the rest of his life. That thing is something else.

I've never played a bad Spector, what ever the price.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='602213' date='Sep 18 2009, 01:44 PM']Are you based in Kent by any means? :rolleyes:

I'm considering changing the tone pump for a pre with cut/boost, but other than that I love my bass, it's just gorgeous.[/quote]

The Dale of the Kent is a long way from Kent sadly, over 350 miles.

Kendal :)

[quote name='RussFM' post='602350' date='Sep 18 2009, 04:56 PM']Isn't the NS2000 Korean? I thought it was the thru-neck version of the Q4?

Not that there's anything wrong with them of course, great basses, just not what you're looking for to compare?[/quote]

Maybe you are right. I couldn't find any NS 2000 on the website.

Oh well looks like I won't be getting my hands in a NS any time soon.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='602171' date='Sep 18 2009, 01:07 PM']What did you buy in the end?[/quote]

A completely different beast altogether! I'd kind of decided that I like the Jazz bass vibe, and I got the one in my sig. It's a Reggie Hamilton V custom shop model and was a steal! Perfect condition off eBay and half the price of a new one. I totally love this bass, but my second fave ever was the Spector NS that I tried out a couple of times. I'd have been 100% happy with that bass and the only reason I didn't get it was that it was too much dosh (secondhand!).

I've been gigging two Spector 5 string basses for the last few months, one Euro 5LX (actually two because I changed from one to another but that's another story :) ) and an NS-5XL. Both of them are superb but the NS wins every time; they have the same neck, the same body shape, the electronics are the same (EMGs + U-Retro), the bridges are slightly different, the tuners are different (Euro - Schallers, NS - Gotoh), the NS has solid quilt maple wings, the Euro has Poplar/Walnut/Alder sandwich wings, the NS is a good 1.5 lb heavier and has an oiled finish next to the Euro's high gloss and the abalone inlays on the NS are prettier than the mother of pearl on the Euro. The finger board of the NS is cocobolo whereas the one on the Euro is some kind of rosewood, darker and less dramatically figured than the cocobolo one. None of these things sway it on their own, it's just that the NS is a slightly nicer bass.

Both basses have the same strings and the same set up (or as near as I can get it the same) so comparison on feel is fair. The two sound very different, the Euro is warmer and rounder than the NS, which is harder and cutting, almost like it's got built in compression.

My NS-5XL is easily the nicest instrument I've ever played, bass or otherwise and would be the last to leave the collection, it's the go-to bass I never had before. The Euro is used for backup and I have strapped it on for the last half hour of the last two gigs (2.5 hour +) to give my shoulder a rest.

I have a Euro4 with a U-Retro in that is superb too and is a very different animal again, the signal is super-hot and the sound is amazing, it's My Bass Wants to Eat Your Mama and it's absolutely gagging to tickle some pre-amp valves :brow: :brow:

Edited by Sean

Both are great... and most of the differences have been outlined above.
The NS is a stunner but not worth twice the money.... and I personally believe that the original pre-Kramer ones are even nicer!

When it comes to value for money/best bang for the buck then the Euro wins every time.... however, if you've got a large wad available then an NS wins out just because it can! lol!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='cetera' post='605664' date='Sep 22 2009, 02:17 PM']Both are great... and most of the differences have been outlined above.
The NS is a stunner but not worth twice the money.... and I personally believe that the original pre-Kramer ones are even nicer!

When it comes to value for money/best bang for the buck then the Euro wins every time.... however, if you've got a large wad available then an NS wins out just because it can! lol![/quote]
I've not owned both but I've been in the same position in having to choose, played a couple of NS's and owned a Euro 6 for a while then settled on neither. :)

Well, technically I went with the Euro but one of the older NS5CR basses where the spec was virtually the same as the NS of that time apart from the preamp. My main gripes with Spectors (EMG's and the preamp) have been addressed with replacements and I believe I have a bass now that is better than any other I've ever tried (including the NS, my Smiths, Alembic yada yada). So another NS5CR is on its way to me in NZ plus I got lucky and paid about 10-15% of what a new NS5XL might cost.

If I was able to, I'd be quite happy to do an A/B with anyone's NS5XL simply out of personal curiosity. My natural Spector doesn't sound like a Spector now either but it sort of sounds like all the best bits of Alembic and Smith rolled into one instrument. Less rawk and more funk, which is exactly what I was looking for.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='619879' date='Oct 7 2009, 07:19 PM']I've not owned both but I've been in the same position in having to choose, played a couple of NS's and owned a Euro 6 for a while then settled on neither. :)

Well, technically I went with the Euro but one of the older NS5CR basses where the spec was virtually the same as the NS of that time apart from the preamp. My main gripes with Spectors (EMG's and the preamp) have been addressed with replacements and I believe I have a bass now that is better than any other I've ever tried (including the NS, my Smiths, Alembic yada yada). So another NS5CR is on its way to me in NZ plus I got lucky and paid about 10-15% of what a new NS5XL might cost.

If I was able to, I'd be quite happy to do an A/B with anyone's NS5XL simply out of personal curiosity. My natural Spector doesn't sound like a Spector now either but it sort of sounds like all the best bits of Alembic and Smith rolled into one instrument. Less rawk and more funk, which is exactly what I was looking for.[/quote]

Having owned a Tonepump Euro 4 and played Alan's (NGH) Euro 5 I'd say that the bulk of the 'rawk' (not all of it) is born in the Tonepump Pre.

The NS5 doesn't have the Tonepump of course but the 18 HazLabs cut and boost 2EQ which adds versatility. I like the 3rd EQ, the mids and the U-Retro adds that dimension superbly but doesn't tame the beast.

My White Euro has the 9v HazLabs 2EQ fitted as an (expensive) option and is surprisingly similar in tone to the NS5 before the U-Retro was fitted. Both basses are very versatile and can do warm and if you like your funk agressive warm they do it well. There were some songs we played where my Euro 4 with Tonepump just couldn't get the tone, both these do.

I don't know if that helps. I'd love to A/B the two especially as NZ is most definitely the closest I've come to Nirvana on this planet but I don't expect you'll cough up BA Business Class?

:rolleyes:

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='619933' date='Oct 7 2009, 08:14 PM']Having owned a Tonepump Euro 4 and played Alan's (NGH) Euro 5 I'd say that the bulk of the 'rawk' (not all of it) is born in the Tonepump Pre.[/quote]

I swapped out the Euro 6 tone pump and replaced it with a U-retro and didn't notice a significant change apart from a slightly flatter response. The mids weren't as well defined as in the XL's I'd tried either. This is what led me to swap the pickups in the NS5CR. Plus inspite of being an all maple instrument it was pretty warm and I liked the midrange and compressed highs a lot but wanted yet MORE warmth, something approaching that I had in the Smiths. So asked Andy to wind me some pickups that put out as much warmth and mids as possible without sacrificing clarity which he did admirably.

The difference then was profound, particularly in the treble response. Clean and crisp yet ballsy in the lows and mids. Plus there's a sort of synergy going on between the maple, the pickups and the U-retro which allows me to very precisely dial in the mids around the growlier frequencies and, boomshanka, sonic nirvana.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='619933' date='Oct 7 2009, 08:14 PM']I don't know if that helps. I'd love to A/B the two especially as NZ is most definitely the closest I've come to Nirvana on this planet but I don't expect you'll cough up BA Business Class?[/quote]
I'll see if I can rack up a few more air miles. :)

I (amongst others) owned CK's natural NS5CRFM for 18 months. Superior to the other Euro 5 I owned and the LX's I auditioned at length. That bass was warmer sounding and had some mids built in even though the preamp didnt. I can only imagine it sounds awesome now with the mods. Materials,fit and finish were on par with a 90's Warwick SS1 I used to have many moons ago. Shame they dont do woods like that on the current ones.