Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky Metro Basses - Top Quality?

bassatnight

Guy's n Girls,

Looking at possibly splashing out for a Sadowsky Metro Bass, anyone any experience of them? or possibly own one? There's a nice long waiting list so I may dip into the good second hand market - anyone want to talk me into or out of buying one?

Cheers,

Steve.

The Metros are very very nice basses. The quality is top notch & the Sadowsky preamp is an amazing piece of kit. Only downside is that if you're after a jazz profile neck, look elsewhere. The Sadowskys are a little thicker(fingers to thumb) than the norm. More like a modern Fender US Precision neck.

Also make sure you try the 09 Fender American Standard Jazz. They're very very good. And you can always add a preamp either internally or externally as I have.

Rich.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='601022' date='Sep 17 2009, 08:14 AM']Guy's n Girls,

Looking at possibly splashing out for a Sadowsky Metro Bass, anyone any experience of them? or possibly own one? There's a nice long waiting list so I may dip into the good second hand market - anyone want to talk me into or out of buying one?

Cheers,

Steve.[/quote]
Be sensible and don't buy one until you try one.

Might be interested, any pics chris?

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='601066' date='Sep 17 2009, 09:38 AM']Being a sadowsky owner I have to fully agree with Rich!!

They are fantastic instruments! I've never seen better build quality!

I actually have a metro RS4 that I'm possibly selling :)

let me know if your interested

Cheers

chris[/quote]

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='601040' date='Sep 17 2009, 08:43 AM']Only downside is that if you're after a jazz profile neck, look elsewhere. The Sadowskys are a little thicker(fingers to thumb) than the norm. More like a modern Fender US Precision neck.[/quote]

Really? Now that is bad news for my GAS as I've ignored Sads as I'm not a J neck lover and much prefer Ps.

[quote name='Kev' post='601070' date='Sep 17 2009, 09:41 AM']Be sensible and don't buy one until you try one.[/quote]

+1.

They are incredibly well finished off in my experience, but I could not get on with the tone. I must be more of a passive jazz guy....i need that full on growl and bite.

The neck looked fantastic, and im brought up on P bass necks so it was comfy. It isnt like a normal jazz neck I agree.

UVintage is the way to go :)

I've never played a Sadowsky, never even been in the same room as one, but with that waiting list, those prices and the reviews they get, there must be something pretty special about them. I'd try one and see.

Edited by chris_b

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars.asp?brandname=Sadowsky"]Guitarguitar[/url] have a some in stock if you want to try one... but it may be a bit far to travel, since the nearest store is in Newcastle! Might be worth seeing if there's a Basschatter closer with one.

Edited by ~tl

[quote name='bassatnight' post='601404' date='Sep 17 2009, 03:46 PM']Might be interested, any pics chris?[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=56885&hl=sadowsky"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=sadowsky[/url]

these pics really dont do it justice but i never was any good at photography!

:)

I had the 5 string metro and was top quality, and so was the neck and sound, but the finish was far too boring for me, but other than that very good. I did also find that the finish seemed to mark very easily, and was a worry on gigs. As for sound,, great stuff, would i have a metro again? no i would go for the better top woods of the NY =, but then again, i would not spend 2-3k on one of these, i would go for a handmade job. Oh for what its woth, i wul never buy a metro new, £1700 seems way too much for it, but £1200 new would be more like it, and £900 for a top condition 4 string.

They are nice basses and great quality but you really should try one before you take the plunge - especially at the sort of money they command. I have owned both a Metro and NYC but traded both of them on - and that in itself tells a story. But some people love them and if you do get one second hand you shouldn't lose out if it turns out not for you.

Edited by alanbass1

The retail price really has jumped up in the last 18 months!

when i bought my first Metro the price for a RV4/MV4 was around £1150-£1200 now they're more like £1600 and thats all because of the exchange rate!

i was lucky to get my NYC last summer while it was 2 dollars to the pound! ($4085 including shipping = just over £2000)

The same bass today would cost me nearly £2600!!! ouch!! lol

[quote name='bassatnight' post='602798' date='Sep 19 2009, 11:25 AM']Well I am very proud to say I have just won Dave Wilson's Black Metro via E-bay..... How am I going to get this one past her indoors!!!!!!!!! Looks like I better start recouping from selling some of my collection![/quote]

[quote name='funkyspuke' post='602835' date='Sep 19 2009, 12:09 PM']haha, I was watching that Metro bass as well ... was hoping that it wouldn't sell so that I could try one (which I am tomorrow) and purchase privately from him! ah well[/quote]

Ouch... that'll hurt Dave by the time he takes off the fees! :)

Just to counter what a few people have said; that they've bought and subsequently sold their Sado's and that the prices aren't justified etc. I have to say as someone on a quest for a light-weight quality bass, who must have bought and sold a dozen basses this year alone, now that I have it and I've gigged it a bit, I'd not sell my Sado PJ @ [u]ANY[/u] price. :rolleyes:

i know what you guys mean about the high retail price. i bought mine, for a good price from the Gallery 1 year ago and love it. As soon as i played it i knew i would buy it. sound, finish, set up etc....all amazing and worth paying for if you find the right one. im really into getting a bargain second hand but knew that the bass i found was so good it was worth paying for. Toasted is also a very lucky man, his sadowsky is really special....as is his celinder :-)
Best advice is to play one first.......

Should have my lovely black Metro within a fortnight - bloody banks charge a fortune and still take a week to press a few buttons to clear a cheque! Not that I am impatient you understand......

Pics will be up as soon as she arrives and is sneaked past the enemy....... :)