Why become a member? ×

Why buy an expensive bass?

Moos3h

[quote name='Beedster' post='595432' date='Sep 11 2009, 09:54 AM']It's a very good question. I've owned a lot of top end basses and am now happily living in stock Fender land. OK, these are still quite expensive instruments compared to the basses you're talking about, but they still cost less than 50% than their Sadowsky, Modulus, Musicman etc counterparts and I'm more than happy (as is evidenced by my lack of activity in the Bassess For Sale forum over the last few months). There is an assumption that 'more expensive = better' which, although true to an extent, is moderated by individual skill and needs factors. I've found basses that are sufficiently expensive to meet my skills and needs and have learned that more expensive instruments only disappoint. Better players with greater needs perhaps require more expensive basses?
Chris[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Kev' post='600050' date='Sep 16 2009, 11:56 AM']Because of course, this thread is about using 'bad' cheap basses..... :)[/quote]
LoL but in my defence I *did* apologise for using such a bad example. It was extreme and was only used to justify that even the mightiest could be felled by a *really* bad example of a bass. (and as a counter to bringing a player of such "bass trancending" ability into the discussion.)

My point was that not even a player like JP would transcend their instrument at *some*, albeit extreme, level.

[quote name='Doddy' post='600095' date='Sep 16 2009, 12:45 PM']First of all, I used the word 'boutique' to represent a higher price level of instrument-you are just being pedantic over that one.

You also keep saying that it is 'undisputedly'....it clearly is not. In my first post I said
"Many people seem to have an added 'confidence' when playing a more expensive bass-the
Bass gives them the inspiration to play." (This was on the first page-so I have no need to re-read the title)
My argument then came at the suggestion that a better bass forces you to improve-which I disagree with. You
can become inspired to play it,but the bass will not force you to improve by itself.
I will continue to say that a good player will sound good on any instrument-you've heard the Will Lee story right?
The player is more important than the Bass.

I've really hit a nerve with you haven't I?[/quote]

Have you? Doesn't feel that way from my perspective. Feels to me more like someone arguing a side issue EVEN after I said "Goddammit no-one is disputing that"
I'll leave it while you continue onwards with the side issue. Good luck.

I bought a custom bass because I wanted to. If I didn't want to, I wouldn't have. Simples.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='600608' date='Sep 16 2009, 07:10 PM']I can get a nice tone on something that's cheaper[/quote]I don't doubt that for a second.

[quote]just as comfortable[/quote]Or that.

[quote]and probably nicer to play.[/quote]But how do you work that out?

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='602217' date='Sep 18 2009, 01:51 PM']I use a stingray not because I can show off that I've got a £1000 bass, bit embarrased about it to be honest, not because I can play better with it, not even because I think it's got the best tone, but because the band as whole sound better when I use it[/quote]

Don't understand the "bit embarassed" part. Why :) ? I've used a Stingray for years and who the hell in the audience knows what it is ? It sometimes get a bit of attention from the odd "bassplayer" in the audience cos' it's an old one, but thats it. Compared to some of the exotica owned on here it's not even that expensive.

[quote name='Les' post='602858' date='Sep 19 2009, 12:46 PM']Don't understand the "bit embarassed" part. Why :) ? I've used a Stingray for years and who the hell in the audience knows what it is ? It sometimes get a bit of attention from the odd "bassplayer" in the audience cos' it's an old one, but thats it. Compared to some of the exotica owned on here it's not even that expensive.[/quote]
You're right about the audience not knowing what it is, but occasionally we play a punk gig with other bands and usually they've got crap equipment and I think they maybe they think I'm showing off, bit like when I had to drive my ex wives car which had personalised number plates, not my thing at all.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='603225' date='Sep 19 2009, 11:41 PM']So only expensive basses have good necks now?![/quote]
Ugh why is this subject rubbing so much sand into our vah-chinas. It was only supposed to be an example (one that the less tetchy of us could relate to).

There are tons of reasons why a bass won't set up properly and for me step one is the neck (after all that's the most variable factor - that's where the ambient environment affects it more) then onto the bridge etc. etc.
I knew as soon as I posted that that my post would get nit picked - I even went to edit in all the myriad of other reasons I could think of but then I though "hey this film is kind of interesting" and lost interest in this flogged horse.

But if you'd really like to put your money where you mouth is, would you be willing to swap the neck from your favourite bass with one off one of those Swift basses (for example :) ) that you see on the bay?

I don't suppose the phrase "you get what you pay for" means anything in this regard.
In my experience all well made basses I've come in contact with have had nice necks and all bad necks I've come in contact with have come from cheap basses. And before the sand gets too scratchy, I know that there will be exceptions to what I have experienced but surely common sense would dictate that the ratio of these occurrences to what I've described is very low and therefore doesn't bear mentioning.

Tom, given the choice at a gig would you use the Cort or your old Overwater?

I've played on more Corts than Overwaters, both good usable basses with a big difference in price but if I were given the choice the Cort would be gathering dust. There are excellent basses for 4-500 quid out there but I'm yet to find one with the 'WOW' factor. That certain something the bass has as soon as you pick it up. Incidentally I've been mostly gigging with a £250 Squier Jazz lately which is great but not that great!

[quote name='bigthumb' post='603414' date='Sep 20 2009, 11:00 AM']Tom, given the choice at a gig would you use the Cort or your old Overwater?

I've played on more Corts than Overwaters, both good usable basses with a big difference in price but if I were given the choice the Cort would be gathering dust. There are excellent basses for 4-500 quid out there but I'm yet to find one with the 'WOW' factor. That certain something the bass has as soon as you pick it up. Incidentally I've been mostly gigging with a £250 Squier Jazz lately which is great but not that great![/quote]
I hate it when you're right. :)

I think i found the answer (well one consistant one at least).
I think using expensive instruments is a way to have the same quality sound you can get with a good sound ingeneer...
I mean at home, just with your amp and bass, being able to obtain the exact same sound you hear on CDs after hours of recording and modifying frequences...
And in the studio, just plug it in a Direct Box and get a nice warm tone "at first glance"
I've seen crap basses made terrific by an ingeneer, but i've never seen those sound good on a simple amp (even on David Eden or any good amp).
So a bit of confort for us who play a lot, and just don't want to fight with their instrument to find a "nice" sound...
(ps : i play a 2000€ Fodera, and don't really need a more expensive bass at the moment :) )

Edited by k-sad

Why buy an expensive bass? To be honest, for me the question is flawed. I don't buy a bass based on how expensive it is. I buy one for its qualities in spite of its price - be it cheap or expensive.

Let me illustrate - I have a wonderful fretless J bass. I picked that bass out of about 30 or 40 Jazz basses hanging on a wall because it spoke to me. It's got a wonderful sweet singing tone. However I am selling it to fund a new fretless by Wood&tronics - why? Because I've found a company who make basses that cause all others to pale in comparison (IMO). I just don't enjoy playing my wonderful J [i]in comparison [/i]to me even more wonderful fretted Wood&tronics bass.

Again, it's not about price, it's about all its other qualities that mean I feel slightly disappointed with my other basses. It's like the 'you do not know what you are missing premise'. Once you know what you're missing, and you like it more than what you had, why would you settle for anything less? (Assuming cost wasn't an issue)

Mark

[quote name='EdwardMarlowe' post='599552' date='Sep 15 2009, 08:02 PM']:) :thu:

99.9% of the average audience don't know a bass from a guitar, and the only people who really give a damn anyhow will be other musicians looking to make themselves feel better by doing down your choice of gear...[/quote]
+1,thats exactly what ive found over the years :rolleyes:

I would agree with whats been said about it not really being about the cost of the instrument.

Some people obviously buy expensive basses because they want to say I own an expensive bass, but others buy them because they play and sound better, thats why they are more expensive. Simples

For me it would be pointless buying one because I only have one sound and its my sound and if I bought a 3 grand bass I would just plug it in and dial in the exact sound I get with my Fender Jazz. Thats all I need

Having said that, if I was loaded I would buy them just for the hell of it. Same as I would buy a farari if I was multi millionare, because I could!

I don't care what anyone says there is no way in the world that a 100 quid chinese bass is going to feel, look and sound as good as a 2 grand bass. I have had my share of both worlds when I was a lead guitarist and that argument is flawed to say the least.

What I would say though is that if your happy with the way the 100 quider feels and it gets you the sound you want then yeah it would be pointless buying an expensive instrument because all you would gain would be envious looks, a big insurance bill and a heavy dose of paranoia every time you took it to a gig

As for the necks being better it would depend on how you want a neck to feel I would think. Some people like big chunky fender necks, some like weedy thin graphite necks and some like a big half a tree to get their hands around so that point is flawed too

Same goes for action, some like it high some like it none existant, I like mine somewhere in the middle so I suppose I have the perfect neck for me on the jazz bass, not to thick and reasonable action