Why become a member? ×

Does anyone here play synth bass?

AdamWoodBass

Hey guys

I've been having a few mad thoughts recently about buying a synth. There are some simply increadible synth bass lines out there which just don't sound right on an electric bass. I've been getting into a lot of mid 80's/90's pop stuff recently, mostly Quincey, MJ and Prince! (By the way the "Rave unto the year 2000" dvd is a fiver in HMV at the moment! It's mint!)

What I'm wondering is this:

Does anyone play a synth? If so what do you play? Was it hard to learn? Would you say it's worth it?

I guess it's another string to the bow however you look at it but I know almost nothing about it! Any help or advice is most welcome as always!

Cheers guys! Much love.

Adam

I use software to track synth bass parts on a cheapo Roland MIDI controller, but I don't play synths live. It's easy enough to learn to play bass parts on a keyboard, sure.

If I was in the market for a live bass synth on a "trial" basis I'd poke Dave and see if he's still selling [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51391"]this[/url]. Or if I was totally loaded I'd have a Moog Little Phatty.

But I'm more obsessed with combo organs at the moment. My band's currently using an old Logan String Machine which is pretty dope-sounding, but I keep getting the urge to splash out on a Vox Continental, just to have one! :)

I got into playing Synth Bass about 18 months ago.
I'm not really a keyboard player,but I know the notes and can play a bass part on keys.
I currently run a dead basic set up,by running an M-Audio Oxygen keyboard through Logic Mainstage.

With playing Electric and Acoustic and now Synth Bass I am equipped for pretty much any gig.

A few years back I played synth on a tour but only on a few selected songs. I had a Roland something-or-other (D10 I think) MIDI'd up to a Behringer FCB1010 pedalboard so I could play the atmos parts or synth bass parts with my feet whilst playing bass and singing... talk about multitasking!! I only had one part where I could actually use my hands to play the keyboard. I ran it with my basses through a sub-mixer to the desk.

There wasn't any touch sensitivity with the FCB1010, they are just on-off switches but they are a lot cheaper than proper midi bass pedals. I used it mainly for pads and some percussive effects as well as bass drones. It's certainly worth it, if you can use your feet while playing bass, and opens up a lot more possibilities.

You could try the Roland VB-99.
I believe Ped has or had one & he might let you know if they'll do what you're looking for.

Markbass are bringing out a synth pedal soon, but if it's keys you want, then I'd have a look at a few different synths in a decent music shop & see what does your sounds.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='590376' date='Sep 5 2009, 08:32 AM']You could try the Roland VB-99.
I believe Ped has or had one & he might let you know if they'll do what you're looking for.

Markbass are bringing out a synth pedal soon, but if it's keys you want, then I'd have a look at a few different synths in a decent music shop & see what does your sounds.[/quote]

The V system is great,but the feel and sound of playing synth bass is totally different from an electric bass with synth effect.
Similar to how you can simulate an acoustic bass on the electric-but it's not the same!!

Keyboards are my secong instrument.
I have a full size Keyboard for Recording at home.
But i used to use on gigs and shows for the odd number a Roland AX-7 Keytar .
The one you wear over your shoulder, but it had no sounds so
It had to go through a sound module.
But was great for the Bass synth sounds, i just could not get anywhere near on an Electric Bass.
I think the new ones come in around £850/£900 mark.
Over your shoulder was much better and cooler.
You did not look like some dick with a hair cut out of Human league ... :)

Here is the new version.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtwh0SZv4OQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtwh0SZv4OQ[/url]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

The band I was in for years was totally dominated by keyboards, and a lot of low parts were done with arpeggiators or sequences. I really enjoyed this as I had to think differently about what I played, or even whether I played at all on some songs.
I love synths & when I record song demos at home I'll use a synth for the bass part 9 out of 10 times. I find it makes me think about the bass part differently & I tend to come up with more interesting (to me) ideas than I would on a bass guitar.

I spent most of the 80s playing synth rather than bass (although I originally joined the band as a bassist).

I've never really got on with guitar-triggered synths and if I wanted a synth sound found it easier to learn how to play what I wanted on a keyboard rather than spend even more time modifying my guitar/bass playing style so that the notes would track cleanly enough to satisfy me.

For the last 20 or so years if I want to be able to play a sequencer style bass line I find the best way is to but the bass guitar through a MIDI-controlled filter such as the peavey Spectrum Filter or more recently a Linn Adrenalinn. Have listen to "Love Junkie" [url="http://www.myspace.com/sugarboxmusicbox"]here[/url]. All the 'bass sequences' are bass guitar through the Spectrum Filter.

For non-bass played synth sounds I'll either use a customised Yamaha KX5 keytar or a Yamaha EZ-EG which is essentially a budget version of the Starr Labs Z-tar.

[quote name='RhysP' post='590638' date='Sep 5 2009, 02:01 PM']I love synths & when I record song demos at home I'll use a synth for the bass part 9 out of 10 times. I find it makes me think about the bass part differently & I tend to come up with more interesting (to me) ideas than I would on a bass guitar.[/quote]

+1. the synth bass sounds themseves can be hugely inspiring.

I use a set of Roland PK-5 midi pedals hooked up to a Yamaha TX-81Z module (or sometimes an Oberheim!) - adds a nice dimension of depth - I've split the pedals such that the G# is an octave below that note on the bass guitar - very interesting! Most people think its some kind of effects pedal and that I enjoy balancing on one leg whilst playing! I really must get my Moog Taurus pedals fixed....

I have a set up with my 6 that involves graphtec piezos, Axon AX100 and either Yamaha CS6R, EMU Virtuoso, EMU Vintage Pro, Roland JV1080 or my laptop and Ableton. Haven't figured out how to work half of it yet though so am probably useless for advice unless on how to bugger up an AX100 with firmware upgrades.

When I broke my left arm last year, I started gigging again playing bass parts (with my right arm!)on a Roland D5 synth.
It was either that or not eat for a couple of months! My band was very understanding,and helped with gear etc.
Did n't find it too difficult as have some piano knowledge, and at first was quite liberating not having a bass strapped on.
However,after the novelty began to wear off it got a little frustrating so could n't wait to get back to the real thing.