Why become a member? ×

LETS TRY TO NARROW CHOICES,PLEASE

easyom

Hi to the bass community for your help:
first i live in france & pricewise it makes huge differences for equipment:
i play a 4 string midi bass with the VB-99(still in the box)(It might have some importance about input etc...)and[u] SLAP above all [/u]&Tap playin & playin bass in a jazz Funk fusion band is the driver behind this investment
I'm after the best MUSICAL,Punchy,tight,fast reacting and (hi-fi) well define midrange and high not harsh;a versatile system with its preamp onboard.I 'm looking for an amp & a 4x10 cab(leaving the future open for upgrading ,another cab 1x15 for ex;
I cant listen & decide by my ears to the system which will cost in UKfor some combination around 2200£=3600$ cause most of the gear is:either not imported or only on catalog,or outrageously priced by EEC standards; i know i'm not victor wooten but i want to make this system ,one of "a lifetime" for Music my projects .so lets get to the point:
for the head:remember its infos i got from magazines & forums,
it seems i can narrow it down to:
1)GENZ BENZ GBE 750 -1200 but or better the Shuttle Max 12.0 for its parametric preamp and its reactivness & tube warming option
2)SWR :Marcus Miller Preamp & the power only Power 750 for the preamp & reactivness
3)Euphonic Audio Classic iamp 800 named now iAMP Pro for tone shaping ,preamp in general
EBS TD 650 or Fafner for its reputation for slap & marcus miller), and the tube emulation supposed to be something
TecAmp Puma 1000(and its 2 input & great sound)
there is still aguilar,& eden,GK
About cabs, ,i have got no clue where to go except it 'll be a 4x 10:
Bergantino (HS & AE 4x10); SWR(golight & golight-m.Miller);Genz benz(GB 410T-UB or XB3)TecAmp L410, maybe GK,you name it;
a combo might do aswell.
So thanks to those who read this to the end and those who'll help me make up my mind & or ask myself the right question.
PS :the weight is not a problem,nor the power of those heads
I dont have access to the net everyday ;so it might take a few days for an answer.
A BIG thank to the Bass Community and this forum

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='589432' date='Sep 4 2009, 09:58 AM']Amps are very much a personal choice, depending upon which sound you have in your head.

As far as speakers/cabs are concerned, I'd add the Barefaced Big One to your list.

G.[/quote]

hmmm but he wants a 4x10... :)

I'd say you would struggle to beat either an ae410 or an hs410. They are 4 ohm though so you'd need an amp capable of driving 2ohm to add another one later. Having said that I cant imagine when I would need more power than I have with my MB sa450 into my ae410 - its extremely loud indeed!

Were you really after full on hifi, then the Barefaced Big One (with the additional tweeter) is the absolute canine undercarriage.

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='Musicman20' post='590047' date='Sep 4 2009, 07:16 PM']Dont let people say a 4x10 isnt necessary.[/quote]

I don't believe that's what they're saying, seems to be more the suggestion that for someone stating "as for cabs, I have no clue where to go" then tying themself into exclusively one speaker configuration is short-sighted.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='590080' date='Sep 4 2009, 07:51 PM']I don't believe that's what they're saying, seems to be more the suggestion that for someone stating "as for cabs, I have no clue where to go" then tying themself into exclusively one speaker configuration is short-sighted.

Alex[/quote]

Fair enough. There is often an anti-4x10 stance though, so I was just making sure he knew that actually 4x10s are still all good, if you want that type of cab :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='590088' date='Sep 4 2009, 07:55 PM']Fair enough. There is often an anti-4x10 stance though, so I was just making sure he knew that actually 4x10s are still all good, if you want that type of cab :)[/quote]

Let's not lose sight of the fact that 4x10s look cool.

And not just 10" drivers either ....

Fast reacting :-

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59337"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59337[/url]

And also test and demo every combination thoroughly with your own set up , which as you play a using MIDI you might consider a dual or stereo rig ..

Gary
v8

my take on this..

Something like a good 4x10 such as the Goliath will cover all basses... good depth and projection and you can easily hear the top end for stuff like tapping...IF..you have the technique to make those bits jump out.. It might be a factor where you can stand on this
Watch Billy Sheeham for this... he does it across raging guitars..but that's an aside..

For more unassisted (crewed ) gigs a 4x10 can be a arse to move...as they can be heavy. I tend to compromise with a 2x10 top and a 15 bottom as it is manageable as seperates..

My idea of fun ISN'T struggling with a large 70lb plus cab that is awkward to carry...if someone else is doing that, then loads of other cabs come into to the equation..

If space wasn't an issue, I might think 2x12 instead of the 1x15, and have the 10's on top..

As you know, you need hi-end support for your style as 15's alone will swallow it

[quote name='JTUK' post='590423' date='Sep 5 2009, 09:52 AM']If space wasn't an issue, I might think 2x12 instead of the 1x15, and have the 10's on top..[/quote]

My EBS 2x12 is the same size as a 4x10 and weighs 22 Kg. If I could run down to 2 Ohms, I'd forget 10s and 15s and buy another one. That said, I can't imagine needing much more volume than I can get with an LMII and a single 2x12 .

I think the original poster could do a lot worse than hop on a cheap flight to London on 10th October and visit the SE Bass Bass - he'd actually get to see and hear a huge selection of gear, much wider than any one dealer could ever provide. He might even find some floor space if he asks someone nicely.