Why become a member? ×

Argent; bass player God Gave Rock n' Roll...?

thebeat

Now, sorry if this causes any offence to either; a) the vertically challenged amongst us, or :rolleyes: Argent fans, or c) vertically challenged argent fans...but i'm sorry, not only is the song itself absolute sh*te and verging on the comical, but the guy who plays bass on it looks like a demented Munchkin on speed....i speak of course about the Old Grey Whistle Test Vol 2 version in all it's pythonesque glory :lol: You should really have look if only to re-affirm just how important image is :)

What's even funnier is listening to Whispering Boab waxing all lyrical about how he knew all the lads in Argent before they achieved notoriety for writing embarrasingly, cheesy rock, he seemed really proud of this for some reason :ph34r: ?!...I'd a been ; ' what? who? Argent? nope! never heard of them!...swear to god! never seen in me life!....especially the rythym section...'

[quote name='bumnote' post='586859' date='Sep 1 2009, 08:30 PM']Jim Rodford,
also played with the kinks, currently playing with the zombies[/quote]
Ah, the Zombies, with original bassist Chris White, they were great. Check out [i]Odessey & Oracle[/i].

I suspect though that Chris White may have co-written [i]God Gave etc[/i]. Never mind.

[quote name='Clarky' post='586866' date='Sep 1 2009, 08:33 PM']I quite like the really hammy Kiss version on Kiss Alive III! And Gene Simmons didn't have too much of an image problem, or height problem in those stack heels :)[/quote]
:rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

I've never understood how anyone could take Kiss seriously. Or take them at all in fact. Sorry guys. IMHO.

[quote name='thebeat' post='586854' date='Sep 1 2009, 08:25 PM']Now, sorry if this causes any offence to either; a) the vertically challenged amongst us, or :rolleyes: Argent fans, or c) vertically challenged argent fans...but i'm sorry, not only is the song itself absolute sh*te and verging on the comical, but the guy who plays bass on it looks like a demented Munchkin on speed....i speak of course about the Old Grey Whistle Test Vol 2 version in all it's pythonesque glory :lol: You should really have look if only to re-affirm just how important image is :)[/quote]
I've got that DVD and you're right.

[quote name='OldGit' post='586893' date='Sep 1 2009, 08:48 PM']....Sorry to go against the flow here but hold your head up and Gawd gave rock and roll to you were outstandingly brilliant rock pop songs in their day....[/quote]
OG, I'm with you on this one. These are great numbers!

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='586905' date='Sep 1 2009, 08:53 PM']I'd be happier with [i]Hold Your Head Up[/i] than the other one.[/quote]

As a young snapper the words meant a lot
"If you want to be a singer or play guitar,
Man you gotta work or you won't get far
It's never too late to work 9-5"

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='586893' date='Sep 1 2009, 07:48 PM']Sorry to go against the flow here but hold your head up and Gawd gave rock and roll to you were outstandingly brilliant rock pop songs in their day.[/quote]

+1 And,

Russ Ballard was a great songwriter who's also played with a who's who of early Brit pop rockers right back to Adam Faith in the 60's, Colin Blunstone and even Roger Daltrey.

Argent were OK in my book and fitted in well at the time.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='586885' date='Sep 1 2009, 08:46 PM']Ah, the Zombies, with original bassist Chris White, they were great. Check out [i]Odessey & Oracle[/i].

I suspect though that Chris White may have co-written [i]God Gave etc[/i]. Never mind.[/quote]

I have all their albums, a great band and I prefer the early works

God gave was written by russ Ballard although Chris white, [whose bass licks I shamelesly copied and still use] co wrote hold your head up]

[quote name='OldGit' post='586893' date='Sep 1 2009, 08:48 PM']Sorry to go against the flow here but hold your head up and Gawd gave rock and roll to you were outstandingly brilliant rock pop songs in their day.[/quote]

I'm with oldgit and chris_b Like em or loathe these song are part of British rock history. :)