Why become a member? ×

Ashdown. Crap?

jezzaboy

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='579304' date='Aug 24 2009, 05:47 PM']I'm soooooo bored at hearing that Ashdowns are woolly.
I wish you could have heard my ABM piped through my Schroeder cab it was superb - not a sniff of sheep anywhere.[/quote]

+1, my EVO II through the Schroeder is awesome. If that's what they call wooly, some people need to clean their ears :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='579304' date='Aug 24 2009, 05:47 PM']I'm soooooo bored at hearing that Ashdowns are woolly.
I wish you could have heard my ABM piped through my Schroeder cab it was superb - not a sniff of sheep anywhere.

Rich.[/quote]

:rolleyes: I got Richs' ABM now, and not a bit wooly.... wot are these folk on about? :)

G.

I've always loved the sound from my ABM 500w 2x10 combo, not a bit wooly but with plenty of warmth on tap if need be. The option to blend a valve pre with a SS one means you can get many usable tones without even having to change the EQ settings. I have, however, had to get it repaired in the past, and I have a feeling the speakers need replacing very soon, but it doesn't put me off using them at all - I don't mind maintaining good sounding gear which has paid for itself over and over!

I've got an Ashdown Mag C115 200 and a 210T extension cabinet which I've owned for about 11 years. Never had any problems with it and it's been gigged. I agree it's not as good build quality wise as Trace stuff or Peavey, but it's been okay. Seems to suit my sound, although it's not quite as good sounding as the Trace it replaced.

The ABMs are great sounding heads if you like a fat vintage type sound but it's not a sound everyone will like. I've used an ABM500 for 5 years through various cab setups and it mostly sounds fantastic. Best of all were a Schroeder 410L and Barefaced Compact. What a great sound. I've never been overly fond of some of their cabs but again that is just my personal preferance.

I also used a MAG combo in a heavy rock band, competing against two guitards with Les Pauls and Marshall 4x10s, every week for about 2 years and it coped very well with no problems.

This is an interesting thread

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445456"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445456[/url]

Ashdown get a lot of appreciation on TB. Americans seem to be more open minded and less inclined to the corrosive negativity we are so good at in this country

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='579304' date='Aug 24 2009, 05:47 PM']I'm soooooo bored at hearing that Ashdowns are woolly.[/quote]

It is getting incredibly tedious. It usually starts with some retard saying something along the lines of "I tried one in a shop for 30 seconds and it sounded fooking sh*te". Well don't buy it then you f***ing dimwit but spare us your expert opinion.

You only need to look at the number of players at all levels who swear by Ashdown. I guess it's the Fender effect. It's a successful brand so there are always going to be people who take delight in bashing it.

I'm appreciating the developing tone of this thread even less than I appreciate the tone I have heard from the Ashdown amps I have used. I'm entitled to an opinion. I didn't say it was gospel. People are more than entitled to disagree, although more civilised terms would have been preferred.

Look to quote an americanism "Opinions are like arseholes" everyone has one !

im sure that everyone has differing opions on what they do/dont like. An as a newbie it would help to keep emotional outburst to a minimum. After all it aint a dating site

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='578214' date='Aug 23 2009, 02:34 PM']Told the guy that I had an Ashdown and he instantly replied Crashdown as they keep breaking down apparently.[/quote]

Smart alec guitar shop employees. I can't stand them.

I'm not a fan of Ashdown but if you like the sound, why change?

Just to add weight to two points that have already been made.....

1). EQ.
The EQ on the ABM500 seems very versatile and can offer a wide variation of sounds.
This means that if set-up 'badly' or inappropriately you will get a 'bad' sound.
There is lots of love for old Trace gear (me included), but who ever runs a Trace flat?
It is Ok to use EQ!

2). Woolly sound.
I have owned quite a few (too many) amps this year, and in no way would describe my ABM as woolly.
It actually sounds very similar to my MarkBass LM2... which is a highly regarded amp.
The ABM does have lots of low end on tap, so could easily make a not-so-good cab sound woolly... or fart out.

It is about getting the right Bass/Amp/Cab for the job... if it works, it works.

Can 'we' please stop knocking things just because 'we' don't like them?
(Or don't know how to use them).

[quote name='henry norton' post='579286' date='Aug 24 2009, 05:31 PM']I thought the whole point of having an eq was to use it....[/quote]
:) Ditto! I've never got a decent sound out of any amp without heavy eqing - and yes that includes Markbass and Epifani!

To reiterate something I've already said, I've recently used an Epifani UL502, a Markbass LMK and my ABM500 through my Barefaced Compact, and the Ashdown was if anything brighter than the others. The sound also had more life in it (which may not be what you want). It was less polite and compressed sounding though, which may not suit everyone.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='henry norton' post='579286' date='Aug 24 2009, 05:31 PM']....I thought the whole point of having an eq was to use it....[/quote]
No. The point of an EQ is that you can use it if you need to. If you don't need to then you don't use it!

I used to own a MAG C115-300 and to be fair, it wasn't a bad amp. I played through an ABM 210 and i thought it was a bit better but i couldn't fault either.

The MAG is a bit "vintage" sounding, but if that's your bag then you've found a decent amp haven't you? it's all subjective. The only gripe i had with mine was the combination of weight and lack of transport (not the Ashdown's fault) so i got shut.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='580107' date='Aug 25 2009, 12:38 PM']I wonder how much of the 'woolly Ashdown' moans are related to specific speaker cabs? Unless an amp is complete rubbish (which I know Ashdown amps are far from being!) it should be pretty easy to EQ out wooliness.

Alex[/quote]

I suspect the 115 cabs/combos, the MAG 15 I had was not a good cab on it's own.

Alex IIRC you said you knew the EQ settings for "flat" response for a variety of amps, any ideas for the ABM EVO II? :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='580107' date='Aug 25 2009, 12:38 PM']I wonder how much of the 'woolly Ashdown' moans are related to specific speaker cabs? Unless an amp is complete rubbish (which I know Ashdown amps are far from being!) it should be pretty easy to EQ out wooliness.

Alex[/quote]
Indeedy. I bet an ABM900 through the Vintage would destroy my home and sound delicious.