Why become a member? ×

Ashdown. Crap?

jezzaboy

Used an Ashdown MAG 4x10 combo last night at our new rehearsal room, and it sounded GREAT! Slight touch of boost on the Bass, Low Mid and Mid controls made my Jazz Bass sound fantastic. Competing with 2 guitarists, a keyboard player and a loud drummer (aren't they all?), I had the gain set at around 90% and the output at around 30%. Plenty of power to spare!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='580107' date='Aug 25 2009, 12:38 PM']I wonder how much of the 'woolly Ashdown' moans are related to specific speaker cabs? Unless an amp is complete rubbish (which I know Ashdown amps are far from being!) it should be pretty easy to EQ out wooliness.[/quote]
Well I'm pretty happy with my MAG300 running into one of your Compacts.

Anyway...

I played on Voodoobassman's Ashdown combo at the NE bass bash last year and I liked it - enough to snap up a cheap MAG head on here when I needed an amp.

Maybe they're not the best amps in the world; but just because there's something better out there doesn't make them crap. If you read enough posts on this forum then you'd be forgiven for thinking that there's not a single bass, amp or cab that's any good since there's always someone who has some mud to sling (which is fair enough, it's all subjective anyway).

Edited by Eight

I recently went into a very large guitar shop, with a very large wad of cash, as I needed an amp.....Tried everything in the shop, including Ashdown. The bass I took with me is my much loved old faithful - Rickenbacker 4001.

IMHO, I thought the Ashdown stuff sounded a little thin and weedy. I even tried the Klystron heads/combos/cabs, and couldn't get a sound that I liked. I have to admit, I was quite dissapointed, because I had gone there with half a mind to buy Ashdown. To be fair, I found the same with other makes as well. Didn't try any of the Markbass gear as I cannot stand the colour scheme! :)

In the end, I plugged in an Ampeg SVT Classic, and that's the one that came home with me. OK, it's a huge weight to lift, but it just reinforced what I have always thought - the more features an amp has on it, the more it's trying to cover up a poor amp. The SVT all tube amp for me was no mess, no fuss, and instantly got a good sound from it. And in terms of horsepower, it absolutely blew all the solid state stuff into the weeds.

I wouldn't mind giving that all tube Ashdown head a try :lol:

Just remember though chaps, we all play different basses, and styles, and use different cab combinations, so just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean that it won't work brilliantly for someone else.

One more thought......Who uses Ebay as a crapometer? I always think that if ebay is flooded with a particular brand/model from private sellers, it normally is a good indication to steer clear. EG "I bought this amp a couple of months ago, but due to a change of circumstances......" translation - I bought a lemon, and I need to get shot quick, so I can buy a decent amp before the next gig :rolleyes: