Why become a member? ×

Iceni

MacDaddy

Here's the Iceni thread.

[b]Post your Zoot's, Funkmeister's, Performers, custom build's, etc.[/b]

I'll start with my custom Zoot which even MacWifey didn't want me to sell :)

The original commision was for a bass built with every component as heavy as possible. The guy who ordered it believed heavy = better tone. I got it from VMax Blues, and the guy he got it from was the 2nd owner, who had a new neck (still made by Mike at Iceni) put on it. I have since had a new body made by Mike, put on it, and had it faffed and re-fretted by The Bass Gallery dudes, as the neck had LED's but they had been removed before it got to me.

American swamp ash body
maple neck with rosewood board
brass nut
2 x Iceni Heartland HB's
3 band EQ, blend, vol
passive/active switch
Strap locks
and a drop D thingy.

Edited by MacDaddy

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='577949' date='Aug 22 2009, 11:48 PM']He still hasn't paid for advertising he had on Bassworld.[/quote]

Eeeeek. Maybe not so much love for his business practices then?

Here's my Zoot bought off eBay:

Walnut body, Macassar Ebony facings, Maple and Walnut neck with Ebony and Maple stringers. Hipshot tuners with drop D, Hipshot bridge, Brass nut. 2 Aero pickups with Aguliar OPB-3. 3 band eq, passive switch and low pass switch, mid sweep on the respective knob.

Edited by lemmywinks

Here's mine;

The prototype.
Used in some of Mike's earlier advertising.

2-piece maple top over 3-piece Ash body. I [i]think[/i] the stripe's Walnut. [b] Edit- No it isn't. It's Purpleheart. Just remembered![/b]
18v power feeds East E-Pro Eq and a passive tone. 3 pots are Bass/Treble/Bright (I believe)
SD Basslines MM Pick-up with series/parallel switching on volume pot pull-up. The switch does active/passive.

Sounds fine on its own. Sounds weird if you play along to other basses. Excellent in the mix or live/rehearsing.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='lee4' post='587633' date='Sep 2 2009, 04:28 PM']I need a lie down!GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

I know this doesn't help, but Zoots have been selling for silly low money recently. We're talking £300 - £400, one of those was a custom too. I've actually had to restrain myself from buying another!

Whatever happened to the original line of Iceni basses? I remember one being reviewed in Bassist magazine - they had graphite necks, a weird 3+1 headstock and a "unique" neck-body joint... the next thing I heard, he'd moved on to the Zoot basses, with nary a bit of graphite in sight.

• 2 months later...

Here's My recently received Zoot Chaser. I love it!

Swampash body with quilted honey maple top. The line dividing the two woods is a thin slice of ebony.
3 piece neck, maple and bubinga.
Birdseye maple fingerboard.
Passive electronics (vol, vol, tone)
Straplocks
Seymour Duncan Basslines pickups. Hot jazz pickup and Music Man pickup. The MM pickup has a handy bi-tone switch which gives it a slightly tinnier sound or a more full fat one.
And last but not least Dean Markley nickel plated blue steel strings. Fine strings they are.

Here are my two:

[attachment=35802:IMG_2783.JPG]

[attachment=35803:IMG_2785.JPG]

[attachment=35804:IMG_2786.JPG]

[attachment=35805:IMG_2787.JPG]

The one on the right was custom built for me and is my main giging bass. It's deep red in colour and is a dream to play.

I told Mike I needed a 5 string fretless so when the bass on the left came back to Mike as a part ex he took the frets off and then presented it to me saying would be be the perfect match for the red bass. So out came the credit card!

I have just started playing the fretless again and I had forgotten how good it was. I have a big gig comming up on 16th in The Albert Hall and I'm seriously considering using it.

N

• 3 weeks later...

Here's mine, it's a PJ Performer which I'd been eyeing up in the window of the Bass Gallery for a while. I'm no expert by any means but this bass feels and sounds absolutely excellent to me, I'm a short-ass and can't deal with the size of Fenders, so I've been looking for a PJ with a more manageable body size and weight, and this is perfect, I couldn't be happier with it. I like it so much I've gone all fanboy-ish about it.

How come they stopped making these? Their website looks like nobody's been near it for about 8 years.

[attachment=37214:DSC_0080.jpg]
[attachment=37215:DSC_0083.jpg]
[attachment=37217:DSC_0085.jpg]

[quote name='project_c' post='667759' date='Nov 27 2009, 08:48 PM']Here's mine, it's a PJ Performer which I'd been eyeing up in the window of the Bass Gallery for a while. I'm no expert by any means but this bass feels and sounds absolutely excellent to me, I'm a short-ass and can't deal with the size of Fenders, so I've been looking for a PJ with a more manageable body size and weight, and this is perfect, I couldn't be happier with it. I like it so much I've gone all fanboy-ish about it.

How come they stopped making these? Their website looks like nobody's been near it for about 8 years.

[attachment=37214:DSC_0080.jpg]
[attachment=37215:DSC_0083.jpg]
[attachment=37217:DSC_0085.jpg][/quote]

SWEEEEEEEEEEET! :)

Yeah I don't think Mike has ever put quite the attention to detail that he does for his basses into his website :rolleyes:

[quote name='Blink' post='646671' date='Nov 5 2009, 08:36 PM']I have just started playing the fretless again and I had forgotten how good it was. I have a big gig comming up on 16th in The Albert Hall and I'm seriously considering using it.

N[/quote]

how did it go? Did you use the fretless?

[quote name='Blink' post='646671' date='Nov 5 2009, 08:36 PM']Here are my two:

[attachment=35802:IMG_2783.JPG]

[attachment=35803:IMG_2785.JPG]

[attachment=35804:IMG_2786.JPG]

[attachment=35805:IMG_2787.JPG]

The one on the right was custom built for me and is my main giging bass. It's deep red in colour and is a dream to play.

I told Mike I needed a 5 string fretless so when the bass on the left came back to Mike as a part ex he took the frets off and then presented it to me saying would be be the perfect match for the red bass. So out came the credit card!

I have just started playing the fretless again and I had forgotten how good it was. I have a big gig comming up on 16th in The Albert Hall and I'm seriously considering using it.

N[/quote]

Loving that shape

• 1 month later...

Here's another - I was offered this for a silly price so I took a chance on it, it's a bit grimey and rough round the edges, it needs a good clean and a setup, I don't think it's been used for a while. I will post some better pics when it's sorted. Anyone have any thoughts on the Iceni dual jazz pickups?

[attachment=40834:IMG_0288.JPG]

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is, looking and sounding a lot better than when it arrived the other week. Growly tone, nice low action, really loud output (the bass was weirdly quiet when it turned up, but I found a volume trim pot thing inside which was turned almost all the way down).

[attachment=41568:DSC_0167.JPG]
[attachment=41569:DSC_0168.JPG]
[attachment=41570:DSC_0170.JPG]

• 3 weeks later...