Why become a member? ×

Iceni

MacDaddy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is indeed passive, vol, tone, wizard thumper pickup. The bodies book matched American black walnut to the front and back, with a swamp ash core. It also has some maple and ebony veneers. To keep costs down the neck is a refin japanese made zoot neck. Also had mike fit a hipshot detuner. The concept of this bass was to keep things very simple, yet keep the botique elements of nice woods and a reasonable weight.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BassBod' post='864704' date='Jun 11 2010, 09:13 PM']Shameless punt - this ones in the "for sales"...

[attachment=51930:P1000265.JPG]

:rolleyes:[/quote]

And thanks to the BassBod, this one is now mine :) I think it's found it's home now - I picked this up a couple of weeks ago in a very reasonable trade for all parties concerned. It had the fretted neck on to start with which just didn't feel right for the bass, so while I was there, we changed it for the fretless neck which is a work of art. Others who have owned/played this bass have commented that the fretless neck is too skinny, but I think it's just right. This bass was originally fitted with the fretless neck, so it's understandable that it works so well as a fretless.

In the last two weeks the neck has been off again & I've added the original plastic shim which has sorted out the angle issues. A few setups later and it's a seriously nice bass. I gigged it the other weekend & it sounds amazing. Soloing the back pickup with active treble centred & you'd swear Jaco's bass of doom was in the room!

The workmanship is sublime (even for a hurriedly thrown together parts bass) and the sound is what a "super jazz" should be - It sounds like a Jazz with that little bit extra punch, as opposed to something that looks like a Jazz & sounds like a modern twin soapbar hifi bass.

Onto the pics...

Now I have the spare fretted neck, I'm thinking of getting Mike to build me another Funkmeister body to the same specs as this one at some point...

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Let's have a bit of a Zoot thread resurrection... Here's my custom 5.

[attachment=150782:IMG_3907.JPG]

[attachment=150783:IMG_3903.JPG]

[attachment=150784:IMG_3904.JPG]

[attachment=150785:IMG_3905.JPG]

[attachment=150786:IMG_3906.JPG]

[attachment=150787:IMG_3908.JPG]

• 3 weeks later...