Why become a member? ×

To any of you with a rack

Finbar

4 way mounted into my rack. I can now power my power amp and preamp, as well as my pedalboard all from one plug socket. No more scrabbling around the venue for a 4 way because I forgot mine and the venue only anticipates the bass player needing one plug socket!

Bit more expensive than using cable ties to fix a 4 way in, but I'm really happy with it :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='573708' date='Aug 19 2009, 12:38 AM']4 way mounted into my rack. I can now power my power amp and preamp, as well as my pedalboard all from one plug socket. No more scrabbling around the venue for a 4 way because I forgot mine and the venue only anticipates the bass player needing one plug socket!

Bit more expensive than using cable ties to fix a 4 way in, but I'm really happy with it :)

[/quote]

That's really cool! - I simply cable tied a multi socket dude thing to a 1u blanking strip - but that looks much tidier! NICE!

I've got [url="http://www.studiospares.com/Mains-Distribution/EMO-E655-Mains-Panel/invt/402690"]one of these[/url] in the back of every rack I use. It has IEC sockets on the inside for connecting the gear in the rack and a normal 13 amp socket on the back for either connecting the next rack or some non-racked gear. Not cheap (although they weren't that price when I bought mine) but have been working flawlessly for over 15 years.

My racks all use these:

[url="http://www.dcdi.co.uk/Power-Distribution/Horizontal-PDU---19-/c-1-91-181/"]http://www.dcdi.co.uk/Power-Distribution/H...19-/c-1-91-181/[/url]

I use the IEC types, and buy short (30mm) kettle leads to power everything in the rack.

Works a treat.

When I got the EA 500 I realized that my bits bag (cables, music stand and real book) was heavier than my amp. When I got the Clarus..just the leads weigh more. I like.

So who's gonna start the lightweight cable trend (Alex?) or carbon fibre music stands...I've already seen a real book on the iphone..and it transposes for you!

[quote name='BassBod' post='573920' date='Aug 19 2009, 11:09 AM']So who's gonna start the lightweight cable trend (Alex?)[/quote]

I think there's an argument for shorter lighter speaker leads. Likewise if you're using a Class D microamp there is no way you need 13A cable.

Maybe OBBM could do a 0.5m thinner gauge speaker cable?

Alex

Yea, it is an Introdelta one. You can find them on eBay and from their website if you stick Introdelta into Google. They do surge protected strips, strips with an on/off switch, and up to 6 (I think) plug sockets per strip. More options on there too. I can't remember the exact depth, but it was enough that when I put it into the back of my old 3u shallow Gator case, I didn't have room to get a lead from the power strip to my preamp anymore, hence my now bigger case. Less than 2 inches though, easily.

For what it is, its a pretty weighty little device. Definitely heavier than sticking a plastic 4 way extension in with cable ties.

I did have a Samson power conditioner before, but I prefer having the plugs to IEC sockets. I can plug anything like my pedals into it, or my bandmates can if they need to. That kind of thing. Just a bit more flexible. And I didn't really need that light that comes on it ;p Function over form!

[quote name='Finbar' post='574394' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:30 PM']For what it is, its a pretty weighty little device. Definitely heavier than sticking a plastic 4 way extension in with cable ties.

I did have a Samson power conditioner before, but I prefer having the plugs to IEC sockets. I can plug anything like my pedals into it, or my bandmates can if they need to. That kind of thing. Just a bit more flexible. And I didn't really need that light that comes on it ;p Function over form![/quote]

I'm guessing its similar in weight to your samson conditioner though right? What I'm getting at is - you haven't made your rack heavier?

I have made it heavier, as I sold on the Samson conditioner about 6 months ago and downsized to a compact 3u rack. But the weight is negligible to me. You carry it for 30 seconds to the car, and 30 seconds into the venue. Same with all gear. While I'm young and fit at least.

Like people who complain about heavy basses. Man up ;p

[quote name='Finbar' post='575724' date='Aug 20 2009, 04:19 PM']I have made it heavier, as I sold on the Samson conditioner about 6 months ago and downsized to a compact 3u rack. But the weight is negligible to me. You carry it for 30 seconds to the car, and 30 seconds into the venue. Same with all gear. While I'm young and fit at least.

Like people who complain about heavy basses. Man up ;p[/quote]

It's all good til your back goes!

My back will go, heavy gear or not. So make the most of the time now! :)

Though to be fair, I used to have a Marshall head that was a two man lift - this rack can be lifted in one hand and carried short distances. And my heavy 412 was replaced with a 1212L. So I guess I have gone lighter anyway :rolleyes:

[quote name='Finbar' post='575757' date='Aug 20 2009, 04:33 PM']My back will go, heavy gear or not. So make the most of the time now! :)

Though to be fair, I used to have a Marshall head that was a two man lift - this rack can be lifted in one hand and carried short distances. And my heavy 412 was replaced with a 1212L. So I guess I have gone lighter anyway :rolleyes:[/quote]

vba marshall by any chance those things are silly heavy!

im looking into getting one of those skts but i want one with a surge protector built in? can you get em?

andy

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Finbar' post='573708' date='Aug 18 2009, 11:38 PM']4 way mounted into my rack. I can now power my power amp and preamp, as well as my pedalboard all from one plug socket. No more scrabbling around the venue for a 4 way because I forgot mine and the venue only anticipates the bass player needing one plug socket!

[/quote]

Whilst you're at it, you might as well get a 1U plate with speakon connections or your choice of speaker connector that takes any stress/difficulty out of the banana/ring post connector in your QSC, such as:
[url="http://www.audiospares.com/product.php?productid=166&cat=261&page=1"]http://www.audiospares.com/product.php?pro...=261&page=1[/url]
I use only 2 speakons and remove the rest. I hard wire the speakon connectors to the ring posts and can reach in to patch for bridging or stereo; most of my power amps are pre-speakon.

Edited by synaesthesia

[quote name='Finbar' post='575724' date='Aug 20 2009, 03:19 PM']I have made it heavier, as I sold on the Samson conditioner about 6 months ago and downsized to a compact 3u rack. But the weight is negligible to me. You carry it for 30 seconds to the car, and 30 seconds into the venue. Same with all gear. While I'm young and fit at least.

Like people who complain about heavy basses. Man up ;p[/quote]

My Ampeg head weighs 45lbs on its own with out the leads, rack tuner and rack itself. it's a hefty c***.