Why become a member? ×

Good ol' Trace

Musicman20

I used a backline provided Trace 4x10 Series 6 Combo on Saturday.

Just got to say, I played on one third volume with gain set so it wasnt at all going into the red. It competed against 2 4x12s and a drummer no problem....I was sometimes too loud!

Very loud and full clear Trace sound. Weighed a LOT though...good job I wasnt moving it around.

Still sometimes miss my old Trace 400W SMX Amp....

Sorry, no idea why I put a thread up about this.

How does the new Trace compare to the old?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='573577' date='Aug 18 2009, 10:32 PM']How does the new Trace compare to the old?[/quote]

Don't get me started on old Trace gear.... :)

I have recently picked up an ABM500 to get my old sound back.
Early indications are good!

My new series 715x combo is luvverly. Sounds wonderful set flat with the pre shape on. Easily competes with 2 loud guitarists with the volume at 3-4/10.
It is a touch heavy though.

The guitarists actually asked me to turn it up at the last rehearsal as they like the sound now!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='574561' date='Aug 19 2009, 06:32 PM']Glad to see there is some love for them.

To be fair, I dont know how anyone can worry about volume with a 4x10...ever. Unless its a stadium.[/quote]

It's a 1x15. That was the output level set at 3 or 4 out of 10. A 4x10 cab is on the GAS list now you mention it though.

My old Trace 4X10 is heavy but it isn't THAT heavy. Certainly not the heaviest 4X10 I've lifted. I've heard that replacing the speakers with Eminence Deltas saves some weight because they have a smaller magnet. Don't hold me to that though, it could be bollocks.

Now is a great time to be buying second hand Trace stuff as well because it isn't that expensive. It's finding the room to keep it all that's the problem.

I've used those old TE 4x10" combos a lot. They're very punchy, thick midrange, nice highs. However they don't have much bottom at all - try and stick some reggae through them and they just get grindier/growlier as they overdrive. If you like that sound they're great but they're very much a one trick pony - great rock sound due to the growly midrange, shy lows and sweet but not shiny highs, plus quite a lot of natural compression.

Alex

[quote name='alexharvay' post='574874' date='Aug 19 2009, 10:44 PM']My old Trace 4X10 is heavy but it isn't THAT heavy. Certainly not the heaviest 4X10 I've lifted. I've heard that replacing the speakers with Eminence Deltas saves some weight because they have a smaller magnet. Don't hold me to that though, it could be bollocks.

Now is a great time to be buying second hand Trace stuff as well because it isn't that expensive. It's finding the room to keep it all that's the problem.[/quote]

Changing the speakers will save weight... but nothing significant. The superlight cabs are light due mostly to the choice of wood. If you look at manufacturers standard cabs vs neo cabs, you'll see that the wood they use is different... and thats the big weight saver.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='575113' date='Aug 20 2009, 09:08 AM']I've used those old TE 4x10" combos a lot. They're very punchy, thick midrange, nice highs. However they don't have much bottom at all - try and stick some reggae through them and they just get grindier/growlier as they overdrive. If you like that sound they're great but they're very much a one trick pony - great rock sound due to the growly midrange, shy lows and sweet but not shiny highs, plus quite a lot of natural compression.

Alex[/quote]

I've never played through a Trace 4x10" combo but the '91 4x10" cab I have has enough bottom for me.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='575119' date='Aug 20 2009, 09:14 AM']Changing the speakers will save weight... but nothing significant. The superlight cabs are light due mostly to the choice of wood. If you look at manufacturers standard cabs vs neo cabs, you'll see that the wood they use is different... and thats the big weight saver.[/quote]

Cheers. I don't know a lot about amps and cabs, I suppose I should search the forum a bit more and read up.

as it happens..always hated them. hated is perhaps too strong a word, tho..

Didn't mind them in rehearsal studios as they were a cut above most of the gear around at the time..
but for decent gear on a decent stage with gear provided, my heart kind of sank..

Funnily emough the two rigs I avoid most now...were the two rigs that you put down on the rider as the minimum standard to be provided.. ie, TE and Ampeg

and I was rather fond of a TE all valve combo..

I've played bass for 30 years and had never owned a TE amp - I've been through Acoustic, Peavey, Peterson, Hartke, Markbass and SWR. Just recently I picked up a second hand TE AH300SMX and took the plunge with one of Alex's Compact cabs and I have been smiling like a simpleton ever since. I've bastardized a folding piano bench to get the 'rig' off the ground and closer to my ears and it is simply fantastic. I really rated my MB SA450 and would love to hear that through the Compact but, right now, I'm as sorted as I've thought I'd get. Sound-wise, I'm just made up with the TE and Compact combo and have been kicking myself that I've avoided TE gear up until now.

Not quite in the league of the stuff mentioned here but I got a TE BLX 150-SMC combo with carpet covering and tweeter new in the late 1990s and foolishly let it go. It's the one bit of gear I regret selling - I used to use it on its own with a SansAmp BDDI for practices and small gigs and with an Ashdown MAG 115 extension cab. It was a great sounding set up. I went to a more powerful and self contained 1x15 Ashdown MAG as part of rationalising my gear at the time and really should have known better. The Ashdown Electric Blue 130 I have now is great with my Squier Jazz but I'd love a BLX again.

As far as 4x10s and drowning out Marshall half stacked g&*%$rists goes, I had an incredibly loud but sweet sounding Eden Nemesis 4x10 combo for a while. That was awesome.

[quote name='Doc B' post='575528' date='Aug 20 2009, 01:46 PM']As far as 4x10s and drowning out Marshall half stacked g&*%$rists goes, I had an incredibly loud but sweet sounding Eden Nemesis 4x10 combo for a while. That was awesome.[/quote]

I've used one of those in the past and thought it was a cracking combo.

[quote name='alexharvay' post='575335' date='Aug 20 2009, 11:49 AM']I've never played through a Trace 4x10" combo but the '91 4x10" cab I have has enough bottom for me.[/quote]

Those TE 4x10" combos have enough bottom for me when playing growly bridge pickup funk. However they're very different designs to the fullsize cabs - the enclosures are only about 12" deep and if I remember correctly they're sealed, not ported. I'd expect your 4x10" to have far more bottom.

Alex