Why become a member? ×

To Slap or Not to Slap

JBassist

• 1 month later...

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='572065' date='Aug 17 2009, 08:50 PM']I voted "I can but don't" as its strictly a practice room technique* for me- I've never been able to use it in a band situation.

*I was going to say "bedroom technique" but that just sounds too dubious :)[/quote]

Yeah I agree, it's fun at home but unless your in a Larry Graham/Graham Central Station covers band I find it hard to use outside of the bedroom!
:rolleyes:

I never understand why there seems to be a trend towards knocking slap bass playing (well I suspect I do understand, it's all those Mark King wannabe's that are all technique and no musicallity). At the end of the day it's what ever works for the music whether it be slap, finger style or tapping (but please no plectrums ! :))

Slap is a bit of a right of passage, it's one of the many things you learn as a bassist.
As for the 'dying breed', get a grip, sit in any (busy) music shops bass dept. and open your bloody ears.
As for tasteful, well played slap bass i couldn't possibly comment, but 'slapping' is alive and well.
I use it as a tool to loosen my hands, but I could keep up with most, if it were asked of me.
If you don't like it, don't play it, and don't listen to it. And certainly don't comment as it almost certainly sounds like sour grapes.
Now, wheres my Level 42 Dvd?

I use it quite a bit but only for short sections in a song or groove - it's a different 'colour' and applied properly can sound just fine - a 70s funk groove played in the style of Larry Graham sounds great IMO. The real problem I think is not slap per se it's using inappropriate or busy/over complicated playing when something simple will do - slap gets labelled as the main offender in the this case but it could apply to fusy finger style or tapping or whatever... being able to slap is fine but it's just one very small aspect of being a good bass player/musician.

M

I don't and can't play slap, but have voted "I'd like to."

Unless you're Mark King or Marcus Miller, don't bother. These guys (and possibly a very few others) make it sound sort of musical-ish, but otherwise it's just Yo-look-at-me-I'm-faster-and-therefore-better-than-you showing off.

Ever walked into a music shop - with money to spend! - or an exhibition or a Bass Bash, wanting to try out a few basses and amps, but turned and walked out again because you feel totally intimidated and inadequate due to all the thumping & twanging?

Oh, OK, just me then.... :rolleyes:

It's just another form of w@nking. Keep it for the bedroom.

:)

Edited by Hot Tub

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it confuses me why some people's attitudes seem a rather offish on this subject. Not just this thread, but in general. I'm trying to work out if it's jealousy, snobbery or just lack of understanding and appreciation. I would love to ask certain people more about what has been said, but I fear it will only exacerbate things. :)

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='609758' date='Sep 27 2009, 01:15 AM']Do you mean why does slap bass get a bad rep all the time? For a lot of people it relates to lots things they'd rather suppress (the 80s, Level 42, etc)- not helped by its excessive deployment in guitar shops, on youtube, etc. They just associate it with being naff and tasteless.[/quote]

So Level 42, or more to the point Mark King, was naff and tasteless?

Edited by TheBlueFalcon

[quote name='JBassist' post='571099' date='Aug 16 2009, 09:51 PM']slap bassists are a dyeing bread nowadays and im j/w about you guys[/quote]

This woman knows all about [b]dyeing bread[/b]. She's rubbish at slapping bass though :)

[quote name='purpleblob' post='604958' date='Sep 21 2009, 08:48 PM']I never understand why there seems to be a trend towards knocking slap bass playing (well I suspect I do understand, it's all those Mark King wannabe's that are all technique and no musicallity). At the end of the day it's what ever works for the music whether it be slap, finger style or tapping (but please no plectrums ! :))[/quote]
and why not

haha, i think like anything, bad slap is awful. Like bad pick playing is still bad.
I assume the negativity stems from the fact it was heavily overused during the 80`s, and the fact lots of people feel the need to show off with it.
I must admit i tire of it, but every now and then i 'slappa da bass' just for a bit of variety.
It once was for the 'elite' few, and now it's watered down for everybody, it's like right hand tapping widdle stuff for guitarists.
Music sometimes becomes a sport in some peoples hands, and that is a shame.
It is an easy target though, as it is deemed to be 'uncool'.

I voted 'I'd like to' because I understand the mechanics of the technique, but can't seem to get my head around the timings involved in the specific style of slapping that I like the most. I think the technique is so difficult to apply musically that I haven't given it any priority when developing my playing.