I'm particularly interested in
[list=1]
Old Peavey Heads Mk IV - MkVI
Peavey Nitrobass / Firebass Heads
Peavey 410TX / 410TVX cabs
[/list]

I'd appreciate your thoughts

Thanks, Mark

[quote name='bassman2790' post='549709' date='Jul 24 2009, 07:55 AM']Does anyone here gig with Peavey gear

[list=1]
[/list]

I'd appreciate your thoughts

Thanks, Mark[/quote]

The TX and TVX cabs sound good with lots of low end even from a 210 but the 410s are very heavy. Dont know about the heads but used to have a 210TX combo which was sounded much louder than its 200 w and went very deep too.

Peavey gear is vastly underrated and for the money there is little that can beat it. As has been noted some of the TX/TVX cabs are on the heavy side compared to more modern cabs but if you are young and injury free, you can take a manual handling course with the money you save buying Peavey gear. :)

I should qualify this by stating that I have owned a variety of Peavey gear over the years (inc' all of the OP suggestions with the exception of the newer Nitro/Firebass stuff) and tbh you'd be hard pushed to justify spending x4 the cash on 'better' stuff... saying that when you have the means, then you just do! :rolleyes:

Previous posts have summed it up,, its built for the road an sounds great

If your going to use one of the more powerfull heads eg a 700 firebass, its worth considering getting a 4 ohm cab, cos the matching 4x10 are big an heavy and if you only wish to use one cab will be able to obtain more power,,,

If honest it dosent sound quite as creamy! as my old SWR rig cranked up at home,, but once its been passed over through the DI into a desk then out through a PA it makes no audible difference to me,,

Mine sits in the back of a van and gets carted all over the UK,, always works and suspect always will,,
( really chuffed theres plenty of peeps to help carry it tho! )

[quote name='bassman2790' post='549709' date='Jul 24 2009, 07:55 AM']Does anyone here gig with Peavey gear

[list=1]
[/list][/quote]
As you know (cos you've been eyeing my rig in the For Sale section!), I've used a Max 700 head (IIRC, same as the Firebass apart from the fascia) with a 410 TVX and 115 BVX BW for the last few years. It's served me well. It pushes out a silly amount of volume for an astonishingly low price, and lasts forever. Seriously, my old Max 450 (same as the Nitrobass) fell out of a car moving at about 20 mph. I thought, "Oh well, that's f***ed, but it'll be cheap to replace." Nonsense. Fired it up at rehearsal, and not a thing wrong. Just a slightly dinted metal corner. :) Sold it a couple of years back and AFAIK it's still going strong.

It's a very clean sound, with not a great deal of its own character, but that's exactly what I was after. And the bottom end is pretty impressive, even just with the 410. Actually, the 115 doesn't add that much bottom to it, but it does have a lovely "grind" through the mids. Brilliant stuff for rock and metal, and it's nice having a huge black monolith of bass behind you. The downside is the weight, especially with the 410.

Gigged a Firebass, it was fine through reasonable cabs, but the cabs I had let it down (then blew up). So I sold it when I was skint and bought different stuff later, kind of miss it. Seemed to manage brute force simplicity with the eq section and interesting options with the crossover.

[quote name='casapete' post='550026' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:52 AM']Great kit for the money.
Not sure if they run comfortably into 2 ohms as Peavey claim though -anyone have experience of this?[/quote]
Yup, always done it (apart from gigs where I couldn't be bothered to lug two cabs). Both my 410 and 115 were 4 ohms each, so 2 ohms overall load on the heads. Never had a problem with either my Max 450 or 700, running for 3-hour rehearsals or all evening for gigs where everyone on the bill has used the rig. And that's in hot, sweaty rooms with loud, active basses and plenty of grind and fuzz coming through them. Rock solid gear.

Ive had a mark 5 head with a 4x10 and a 15, great sound for the money. The ninetys ones just looked dated, got an old 70's guitar head thats great (although broke at the moment) similar to the bass version. But have used both with a sansamp as they sound a bit flat otherwise. The 4x10 is a real back breaker, the 2x10 are still less than 200 quid and a lot lighter.

I had a Peavey Sessionbass 2U head loaded into a 112MB whizzer cone tiltback combo. Not as loud as the usual giant Peavey rigs though certainly potent when stacked on a big Marshall 1x15" I used to borrow, but I did like the response of the whizzer 12". Weighed a ton for what it was. Presume it's still going strong, wherever it is. Never seen or heard of anyone having another one!

Alex

[quote name='casapete' post='550026' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:52 AM']Great kit for the money.
Not sure if they run comfortably into 2 ohms as Peavey claim though -anyone have experience of this?[/quote]

Mine has always been fine. I've got a TNT combo that ran at 2 ohms for loads of gigs (until I broke the extension cab!!).

I've recently acquired a Peavey mark III 400 bass head from the late 70s, and a marshall 1550 cab to go with it. I tend to play my peavey t-40 with it.

Time warp.

As far from hi-fi as you can probably go, but loud, thumping and warm. Ideal for classic rock.
Oh and about 30 years old, in what looks like original condition.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='549718' date='Jul 24 2009, 08:16 AM']Peavey gear is vastly underrated and for the money there is little that can beat it. As has been noted some of the TX/TVX cabs are on the heavy side compared to more modern cabs but if you are young and injury free, you can take a manual handling course with the money you save buying Peavey gear. :)

I should qualify this by stating that I have owned a variety of Peavey gear over the years (inc' all of the OP suggestions with the exception of the newer Nitro/Firebass stuff) and tbh you'd be hard pushed to justify spending x4 the cash on 'better' stuff... saying that when you have the means, then you just do! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Totally agree with all of above and have been a peavey user myself in the past.
Also to be considered,If they come up for sale, rack megabass head or T Maxx head.All will do a fine job for relatively little money.And always seem to be very reliable.

Hope this helps.

Peavey almost brought out an amazing high-end head a few years back which would have been perfect for driving a big rig. I think it somehow managed to run bridged @ 1600W but also could run biamped with more power on the lows than the highs, like 1200 vs 400. Was quite lightweight too. Ah, here it is: [url="http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/article/Peavey/Pro-1600.html"]http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/ar...y/Pro-1600.html[/url]

Their new valve amp with SMPS looks good but I gather there have been some QC problems with the first run.

Alex

+ 1 on all the positive comments above!

When I started playing bass and gigging again after a break of 12 years, I bought an old Peavey Mk IV (1982) head & an unnamed 115 cab from someone on Bassworld as it was then, to start me off and it was great!

At the time, I was using that amp/cab combination with an MTD passive 5 string that I bought for £200, so all in all, it was a £300 set-up..but our guitarist (who really knows his stuff where gear is concerned) was astonished at how good it all sounded! Eventually, I added a Peavey 210TX to that set-up to run it all at 2 ohms and that was even better and had no problems with running at all 2 ohms..

As well as that, I've tried the Session amp that Alex mentioned and that was good too, though a tad underpowered for me, plus a T-Max which was very good for the money.. and I've also had the 410 TVX which really does produce a lot of low-end and is excellent at delivering a low-B string!

I still have the initial Mark IV head that I bought 3 years ago and have also recently accuired Barney's MKIII (1979) as well and, though I've just upgraded my rig to an Eden Metro, I will definitely be keeping at least one of the two Peavey heads as a low-cost/low-maintenance back up because they're just so good!

I used to regularly run my T-Max head at 2ohms - no problem. I used a 410 TVX and 210TVX - there wasnt many situations where you would have needed more power!