Why become a member? ×

Peavey gear

Guest MoJo

I picked up a nice old Mk III head off a BCer a couple of months ago as a stop-gap, but have been happily gigging & rehearsing with it, & can't think of a valid reason to stop. Works an absolute treat with my Peavey 1x15 BW cab, which I've had since there were dinosaurs, & as Mr Foxen says - "brute force simplicity".

Jon.

Have a look in the for sale section .................... 1 X 15 black widow cab for £60 .......... Bargain!!

It`s not mine,just noticed it though ... hope it might help!

Played through a TNT 115 combo last night (as mentioned in the 'How was your gig last night' thread), and to my great surprise and joy, it sounded brilliant. Elevated it a few feet off the floor and it wasn't muddy in the slightest. A real beast of an amp to lug around though but I would definitely consider one in a wheeled flightcase as a backup amp.

Danny

hiho ,I use 2 2x10" tx cabs ,easier to lug around and a serous amount of bottom end,no need for a 15".
I use a marshall mb450 head and can use one cab for 300 watt at 4 ohm or unleash the whole 450 with both cabs at 2 ohm which makes things versitile and easier than lifting a 4x10".Great sound,nice price,bullet proof build.

i have had my peavey mark 6 xp series head with matching 4/10 cab for years now. i love the sound it makes. done many recordings with it and sound engineers say what a lovely sound it produces. i even left it out in the rain one night all night. gave it two weeks to dry off. and it still works 100%. built like a brick these things. ive just bought a ashdown magIII 500 head- only becuase i got it soooo cheap. and to be honest the sound is no better than my peavey. just shows you.

Used to use 410TVX and 115BXBW and have used their heads a few times.

Cab wise, the 15" Black Widow is an awesome cab, nice and clear sounding, but I went off 15"s big time and so it was wasted on me. TVX was loud, extremely durable and heavy to boot. Took a lot of punishment and was really a great cab but I went to an 8x10" for "that" tone. Tonally they're just a little bland sounding. But Peavey stuff is loud.

As for the heads, whenever I've used them they've been fairly flexible and you can easily get useable tones, but they never quite got that magic that you'd get from a lot of other brands. They're workshorses plain and simple, and they're better at price/performance than any other company in the world IME.

I played through my Peavey TNT last night - first time I've used it with the covers band I was playing with. It's my back-up to a Little Mark II and a Warwick 411PRO and I took it because there was a band on before us who we thought might be expecting to use our backline.
IME, and from what I've heard, Peavey's are rock solid and reliable so I took it knowing that I wouldn't need to worry too much about the other band.

My sound onstage was awesome - full and smooth with plenty of bottom end, with the amp set completely flat...Now I remember why I'm so unwilling to ever part with the Peavey!

The only reason I got the other rig was because I wanted a backup and needed a bit more power for the (far too) loud band I was playing with at the time. That's not to say that the Peavey isn't loud - it's plenty loud for any gigging situation that I can think of, unless you're playing against a really loud drummer, or playing big gigs without PA support. Both were a problem when I demoted my Peavey to backup (due to arrogant band members), but that's not a problem now, so I'm sure it'll be out on the road with me a lot more from now on! :)

Ive had mainly stuff peavey for the last 18 years other than a brief spell with a 135 fender bassman (great tone, but didnt like the distortion at volumes past 6) svt pro 3 (sold to finance other things) always rock solid re pairable and cheap on ebay, the last 2 ive had a late 70's mark 3 and late 70's musician guitar head both got for less than 80 quid. And because of that not trendy !!!!!!

[quote name='buff' post='563610' date='Aug 8 2009, 06:04 PM']Ive had mainly stuff peavey for the last 18 years other than a brief spell with a 135 fender bassman (great tone, but didnt like the distortion at volumes past 6) svt pro 3 (sold to finance other things) always rock solid re pairable and cheap on ebay, the last 2 ive had a late 70's mark 3 and late 70's musician guitar head both got for less than 80 quid. And because of that not trendy !!!!!![/quote]
Never seen one like that before, i.e. with 'Musician' written on the front of it...normally it says 'Bass' there instead. Is it quite a rare model?

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='563697' date='Aug 8 2009, 07:49 PM']Never seen one like that before, i.e. with 'Musician' written on the front of it...normally it says 'Bass' there instead. Is it quite a rare model?[/quote]

I thnk its a guitar head, but have also seen it refured to as a guitar/bass head. Unbelievably loud, also has the advantage over the normal bass head of that era in that you can use both channels at once if wanted.

Edited by buff

I seem to have had the world's only broken Peavey head- 5 minutes being lent to my sister's friend and I couldn't turn my Mark IV on without smelling smoke. Talk about RTFM :)

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Peavey amp though, and many of the rehearsal studios I've used have had them. 3/4 of my basses are also "budget" Peaveys- can you say "value for money"?

[quote name='buff' post='563610' date='Aug 8 2009, 06:04 PM']Ive had mainly stuff peavey for the last 18 years other than a brief spell with a 135 fender bassman (great tone, but didnt like the distortion at volumes past 6) svt pro 3 (sold to finance other things) always rock solid re pairable and cheap on ebay, the last 2 ive had a late 70's mark 3 and late 70's musician guitar head both got for less than 80 quid. And because of that not trendy !!!!!![/quote]

What cab is that? The offset speakers make it look like a Barefaced Vintage.

I used Peavey 1x15 combos more or less exclusively for 20 odd years (and some normal ones :))
My fave was the mark one Combo 300 1x15 Black Widow and I found one last year to use as a back up, loaner and "dodgy venue" amp.
It weighs far too much for me to gig with regularly (and I lourve the markbass and Bergantino rig I have for posh gigs) but as everyone has said, great bang for your buck, IMHO a really good solid rock sound, very reliable and cheap to fix.
The black widow bass guitar speaker is a classic and has a great sound. Watch out for black widow PA bass bins being passed off as bass guitar speakers though. They are different.

My bass playing brother inlaw is still regularly gigging his 1980's TNT 1x15. 45 of the louded watts you've ever heard.

Yup can't beat it for budget boom.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='563864' date='Aug 8 2009, 10:57 PM']What cab is that? The offset speakers make it look like a Barefaced Vintage.[/quote]

Cab is home made using dimensions from a late 80's peavey 215d bw cab , which also had offset speakers. Made from 12mm wbp ply so a lot lighter than the 2 1x15 peavey cabs ive been using which were 18mm chipboard.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='casapete' post='550026' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:52 AM']Great kit for the money.
Not sure if they run comfortably into 2 ohms as Peavey claim though -anyone have experience of this?[/quote]

Mk. 6 head with 2 Black Widow 1 x 15" 4 ohm cabs,no problems,although it got used for an all day gig once and after 9 hours of constant use the jack plugs on the speaker cables got hot enough to expand and pop out of the sockets..My set up has served me well for 19 years and should it ever need replacing it will be with another Mk.6.I still get comments on how good it sounds.

Edited by Spike Vincent

[quote name='casapete' post='550026' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:52 AM']Great kit for the money.
Not sure if they run comfortably into 2 ohms as Peavey claim though -anyone have experience of this?[/quote]

I run my Mk VI XP heads at 2 ohms every gig not had a problem in the last 8 months.

Bulletproof and plenty loud enough running at 400W / 2 ohms through Peavey 4x10TVX and Matamp 2x12 in fact earth shattering is a better description

Got to be the most bang for buck available

Edited by Monz

My first amp years ago was a Basic 60, and my current amp is a Databass combo. I've had 2x10tx and a 1x15BW, and a very cool 2 channel head from the late 70s with a 'proper' parametric (inc Q) that I can't name at this distance. (Maybe Centurion? Dunno...)

All are heavy, utilitarian, cheap, workmanlike and utterly reliable, except for the Databass which blew a speaker coil (a common fault). Once I replaced the knackered 4ohm spkr with an 8ohm, to try and tame it a bit, all has been fine. Its insanely loud and unfeasibly heavy and I use an NE-1 for a bit better fine tuning. I have a love/hate relationship with it, but I know I'd regret selling it.

I wouldn't try and get a crispy Macus top end from it, but if I wanted that I'd go elsewhere. A sack truck or castors has saved on hernia repairs, too...

If Peavey was a dog, it would be a black labrador.

If Peavey was a car, it would be a Ford.

If Peavey was a cocktail, it would be a decent pint of bitter.

Edited by bassninja

• 9 months later...

+1 for some new found Peavey love!

My current band (ska/reggae/punk) have just moved into a residential rehearsal room and I needed to borrow a head quick to go with my Trace 2 x 15"

So I borrowed a MkVI XP head, and it is very well suited to what we do. Very pleased with it.

Big massive bottom end, warm, punchy and very very loud. Really drives the reggae bits along nicely. It can do a really nice overdriven rock sound too.

So if anybody has one of these going cheap let me know!