Why become a member? ×

Hit me with your rhythm stick...

Zoe, Hats off to you. Incidently there is another thread on here somewhere with the track minus the Bass Line, (if you can't find it I can send it).
If you feel like "getting shut of Norman" you can do it.
I really do admire your dedication. How many 10 year olds would stick at something like learning an instrument and not jack it in after a while.
I am curious. Why did you decide on Bass at such a young age?
It took me until I was in my late 50's to decide that I prefer bass rather than guitar, (that I had been playing for years).
Whish i had started earlier :)

I learned nearly all of the Hemispheres album on guitar when I was 17. I had a crap songbook which my guitar teacher said was mostly wrong. I felt like I was doing most of it properly, in time and in tune, but I wish I'd recorded it, my playing was almost certainly all over the place! That album was the source of so much inspiration. I was completely, madly obsessed with it.

Ged and Scott Thunes are still my favourite bassists.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='BassBunny' post='548692' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:14 AM']Zoe, Hats off to you. Incidently there is another thread on here somewhere with the track minus the Bass Line, (if you can't find it I can send it).
If you feel like "getting shut of Norman" you can do it.
I really do admire your dedication. How many 10 year olds would stick at something like learning an instrument and not jack it in after a while.
I am curious. Why did you decide on Bass at such a young age?
It took me until I was in my late 50's to decide that I prefer bass rather than guitar, (that I had been playing for years).
Whish i had started earlier :)[/quote]

My dads a bassist.
but he didnt play bass when i got into it, he played when he was younger, then when i started playing, my dad got back into it

and i was always really into gene simmons since i was about 6, his instrument used to captivated me a lot more than whatever ace frehley was playing :rolleyes:

Z
x

edit: and yes please, that bassless track would be awesome!

Edited by Zoe_BillySheehan

Hey Zoe :) Just listened to the track.....Awesomeness!!! (Cue WW inspired "We're not worthy!!!") :rolleyes:

Forget Tal and her Sadowsky, just loved the rich tone you've got going there!

I've taken one look at that track and gone "Eeeek", but then I've only been playing seriously for 18 months (bit late coming to the bass-playing party), so hoooge amount of respect due there for giving it a shot. Only hope I'm anywhere near as good in 5 years time (if I haven't completely b****red my fingers up by then)

Keep at it, keep posting and don't let the detractors get you down

Take care
Bottle

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='548746' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:47 AM']and i was always really into gene simmons since i was about 6, his instrument used to captivated me a lot more than whatever ace frehley was playing :)[/quote]

I think his instrument has captured many a young lady.. fnar fnar

[quote name='Faithless' post='548057' date='Jul 23 2009, 04:53 AM']I'm about to get bashed for following, but whatever..

You know, sometimes it just reminds me of those 12-year old kiddies playing Jamiroquai stuff... OK, they KNOW the notes maybe, but they aren't [b]tight [/b]at the end (and, with [i]a bit more[/i] practice, I think, they could..), but, when, especially, being a bassist, [b]what's the point [/b]then?

But, then again, they get sweetest applauses (Basschat is not an exeption, sorry..), just because of what? Just because they're young and they try to come over the stuff, that [i]normally[/i] [i]shouldn't[/i] be taken by a kid?

You know, I could probably taken one of [i]those [/i]Hadrien Feraud's solos, then get it down to the deepest f*ckin' bottom, but, [b]rhythmically [/b] and musically (phrasing and stuff), I KNOW I couldn't make it, so, what's the point then?
You'd praise me just for trying? Thanks, but I don't need that.

Zoe, I'm not trying to offend you - I'm not actually 'dedicating' my rubbish thoughts to you, it's for those well-wishers to think about [i]it[/i] a bit more..

I wish you all the best, but, in the end, you know it yourself, that your try needs a bit practice, and you'll nail it. But, not this time.

I'm getting my coat,
Faith.[/quote]

Imbecile, :) ....give the girl the credit she deserves

[quote name='flatwound' post='548817' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:39 PM']Imbecile, :) ....give the girl the credit she deserves[/quote]
You see, usually when something like that happens I'd be the first to say that we need a little bit of balance, but that was just plain mean! :lol: :rolleyes:

With regard to Faithless' points, I am not a kid (46), don't play bass very well (but am enthusiastic and OK-ish at time-keeping), and cannot play HMWYRS (apart from the main riff). I presume there is "no point" in me picking up a bass again! Patronising snobbery of the highest order.

Zoe, your playing rocks!

Nice one,
I've attempted but failed to master Hit me loads of times, I always think that I master it I won't be as incompetent as I assume Iam.
I think the Country is bouncing to people practicing 'Hit me' since you first posted.
I'm jealous now.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='548983' date='Jul 23 2009, 02:53 PM']How [i]very[/i] dare Faith express an opinion on a discussion forum![/quote]

Its fine, I merely expressed my opinion of his opinion. Free speech and all that ...

On a side issue - isn't Zoe risking a demand for payment from the PRS by posting a version of HMWYRS on Myspace?

One reason I've not set up a myspace page is that the tracks I'd be happy to post are covers of jazz tunes not yet out of copyright - I assume if I post them I'd thereby make myself liable for PRS fees.

Anyone any thoughts or experience on this?

Also I think Faithless has been treated rather harshly in this thread; it's very easy for a post to come across as less polite (or otherwise having a different 'tone') than may have been intended if you're writing in a language that isn't your native tongue.

[quote name='Earbrass' post='549055' date='Jul 23 2009, 03:49 PM']On a side issue - isn't Zoe risking a demand for payment from the PRS by posting a version of HMWYRS on Myspace?

One reason I've not set up a myspace page is that the tracks I'd be happy to post are covers of jazz tunes not yet out of copyright - I assume if I post them I'd thereby make myself liable for PRS fees.

Anyone any thoughts or experience on this?

Also I think Faithless has been treated rather harshly in this thread; it's very easy for a post to come across as less polite (or otherwise having a different 'tone') than may have been intended if you're writing in a language that isn't your native tongue.[/quote]

Yeah, I have been worried about the whole PRS thing.
its getting a bit silly really.

what about... taking the song out the background? and just having the bassline? would that be ok?

and its cool, people can have opinions.
I know hes not english, so things he said could have come across more harshly.
but even still, there isnt need for somethings.

Criticism, i can take.
like everyone, I get it.
and like i said before, 'constructive criticism' is all well and good.

Z
x

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='549066' date='Jul 23 2009, 03:54 PM']what about... taking the song out the background? and just having the bassline? would that be ok?[/quote]

Hi Zoe.

Technically, I suspect the answer is 'no' - the bassline is still someone else's composition. Whether they'd be that picky in practice, I've no idea.
There's actually two issues here - one is the composition rights (which apply whoever is PLAYING the song), and the other is the use of the original recording (though I think that used to be the MCPS's pigeon rather than the PRS, but now they've sort of merged so I really don't know).

Anyone know any better?

I'm probably gunna stop stop posting stuff on here,
maybe my own stuff, in the quiet recording thread.

but I wouldn't have posted it on here if I knew it would cause this.

I really am VERY thankful beyond words for all your amazing comments, i really am :)

But i'll try just stick to my own stuff in future.

Z
x

[quote name='Earbrass' post='549075' date='Jul 23 2009, 04:01 PM']Hi Zoe.

Technically, I suspect the answer is 'no' - the bassline is still someone else's composition. Whether they'd be that picky in practice, I've no idea.
There's actually two issues here - one is the composition rights (which apply whoever is PLAYING the song), and the other is the use of the original recording (though I think that used to be the MCPS's pigeon rather than the PRS, but now they've sort of merged so I really don't know).

Anyone know any better?[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about it. The purpose is to demonstrate you can play along with it. If Youtube haven't taken stuff like this down, don't worry.

[quote name='Earbrass' post='549055' date='Jul 23 2009, 03:49 PM']Also I think Faithless has been treated rather harshly in this thread; it's very easy for a post to come across as less polite (or otherwise having a different 'tone') than may have been intended if you're writing in a language that isn't your native tongue.[/quote]
Actually Faithless was very polite, and also very clear in his criticism - which was aimed at those of us who have praised Zoe's rendition. I presume he thinks either that praise will not encourage her to improve, or that we are just humouring her with disingenuous approval.

Personally I don't think either is the case - positive encouragement from one's peers is an excellent motivator, and Rhythm Stick is a notoriously tricky line which Zoe played very ably.

Jon.

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='549083' date='Jul 23 2009, 04:05 PM']I'm probably gunna stop stop posting stuff on here,
maybe my own stuff, in the quiet recording thread.[/quote]

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you off! I'm not terribly sure about the PRS / rights stuff, which is why I posted asking for others' views, so please don't take my word as in any sense authoritative on this.

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='549089' date='Jul 23 2009, 04:08 PM']yeah i've been ok with youtube so far.
and theres covers on there.

Z
x[/quote]

Yeah, same here, I have a couple of vids of me playing along to Rush and Zappa, have had for a while. There is loads of it out there untouched. They only took the direct rips, file sharing stuff off there I believe.

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='548746' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:47 AM']My dads a bassist.
but he didnt play bass when i got into it, he played when he was younger, then when i started playing, my dad got back into it

and i was always really into gene simmons since i was about 6, his instrument used to captivated me a lot more than whatever ace frehley was playing :)

Z
x

edit: and yes please, that bassless track would be awesome![/quote]

Zoe, the track's are contained in this thread on Page 1.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35962&hl=Beedster"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=Beedster[/url]

Edited by BassBunny